Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Cucurbits (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   What varieties of squash are you growing this year? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=45523)

upcountrygirl October 18, 2019 04:14 PM

Tormato or keith do either of you have any further information on scarchucks supreme? i.e. what latin name, what common kind(summer, butternut, etc...? ) dtm? I've been scouring the internet and coming up zero on this variety...I am very interested in learning more!

GoDawgs October 18, 2019 04:32 PM

Winter squash here have been a disappointment for the three years we've been growing them. It doesn't seem to matter which species of winter squash we grow. I think there's a reason that almost all the posters on this thread are up north. You have the soil and climate to do a good job with them.

The butternuts, kabocha and small sugar pumpkin all grew and did fairly well but none of them tasted worth a darn. They all went onto the compost pile. The only squash that was and has always been a success was the spaghetti squash.

Pickles and I talked about it and decided that no more winter squash will be grown except the spaghetti squash. In addition to not tasting worth a darn, they take up too much room compared with how much they produce. Watermelons will do nicely there. :yes:

NewWestGardener October 19, 2019 11:26 AM

In your experience, what varieties resist mildew or molds? I don’t have any SVB issues, but plants get killed early by molds every year, as soon as late August- Early September way before fruit matures.

rxkeith November 17, 2019 11:23 PM

kind of a late reply to up country girl. we were booted off the internet for a couple weeks
at home, and could only get on off site. some posts got missed.

scarchucks supreme is an acorn type squash, call it a winter squash, whatever classification that is. too tired to look it up. sandhill preservation says it is an 85 dtm.
supposed to be more resistant to squash vine borers.

i baked a couple this evening along with a couple thelma sanders sweet potato squash.
thelma sanders is pretty darn good too. scarchucks supreme might have a little more robust maybe nutty flavor than thelma sanders. i want to always grow both of them.
i would not have to choose one over the other.

keith

Tormato November 18, 2019 02:39 PM

[QUOTE=upcountrygirl;748035]Tormato or keith do either of you have any further information on scarchucks supreme? i.e. what latin name, what common kind(summer, butternut, etc...? ) dtm? I've been scouring the internet and coming up zero on this variety...I am very interested in learning more![/QUOTE]

Sorry for posting so late, as I just now see this thread.

Scarchuk's Supreme was the work of John Scarchuk at the CT Agricultural Experimental Station. Thick vines resistant to borers was one of the goals.

On a side note, I really freaked out his relatives a few years ago. We were both visiting the same agricultural booth at the state fair that had a display of squash. They mentioned that their grandfather developed the Black Beauty zucchini. So, I had to ask, "Your grandfather is John Scarchuk?". You should have seen their jaws drop.;)

Tormato November 18, 2019 02:42 PM

[QUOTE=GoDawgs;748037]Winter squash here have been a disappointment for the three years we've been growing them. It doesn't seem to matter which species of winter squash we grow. I think there's a reason that almost all the posters on this thread are up north. You have the soil and climate to do a good job with them.

The butternuts, kabocha and small sugar pumpkin all grew and did fairly well but none of them tasted worth a darn. They all went onto the compost pile. The only squash that was and has always been a success was the spaghetti squash.

Pickles and I talked about it and decided that no more winter squash will be grown except the spaghetti squash. In addition to not tasting worth a darn, they take up too much room compared with how much they produce. Watermelons will do nicely there. :yes:[/QUOTE]

I've never tried them, but I wonder if some of the squash from SE Asia (found in Baker Creek's catalog) would work for you.