Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   2018 MMMM spoiler alert (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47782)

imp September 18, 2018 11:21 PM

Tormato, this is especially for you, we're waiting....

[url]http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/09/18/great-white-shark-lair-in-pacific-ocean-discovered-by-scientists.html[/url]

MissS September 22, 2018 11:11 AM

Are their any hungry seeds sharks here in our waters???

Nan_PA_6b September 22, 2018 11:34 AM

My allium cernuum, Nodding Allium, gave a bunch of seeds this year, will be sending them in.
A seed shark I am not, but I love to feed the fish.

Nan

clara September 22, 2018 03:31 PM

[QUOTE=clara;712558]I'll send:

Napa Chardonnay - light yellow cherry, RL., indet. did very well in our incredible heat
Perla Ogrodu - red cherry on a small plant (less than 1 ft.), best for small pots or hanging baskets
Sadovaja Zhemchuzhina Rosovaja - pink cherry, best for hanging baskets

Peppers:

High Fly Pepper F8 - from the Philippines. Hot, but not superhot. Perfect for making chili flakes or for grinding

Nan_PA_6b September 22, 2018 08:37 PM

Sending a [U]few[/U] red trumpet honeysuckle seeds.

Raiquee September 23, 2018 10:56 AM

[QUOTE=clara;715269][QUOTE=clara;712558]I'll send:

Napa Chardonnay - light yellow cherry, RL., indet. did very well in our incredible heat
Perla Ogrodu - red cherry on a small plant (less than 1 ft.), best for small pots or hanging baskets
Sadovaja Zhemchuzhina Rosovaja - pink cherry, best for hanging baskets

Peppers:

High Fly Pepper F8 - from the Philippines. Hot, but not superhot. Perfect for making chili flakes or for grinding[/QUOTE]

Napa Chardonnay- is that Napa Chardonnay blush? The one by Brad gates? I’m looking for that one!

Tormato September 24, 2018 12:39 PM

A few more things I've harvested...

cucumber - Yamato Sanjaku... skins are slightly bitter, so peeling is recommended. One of my plants produced rusty/amber/brown-colored cukes, but the size and taste was identical to the green ones on the other plants. I've kept seed from the two types separate, and have a limited quantity of the brown off-type.

pepper - Trinidad Perfume...now I know what people are talking about when they say a pepper has a "floral" taste. Small, thin walled, and wrinkly, so there is a fair amount of work involved in processing them. An occasional one may have nearly imperceptible heat.

ginger2778 September 24, 2018 04:17 PM

[QUOTE=Raiquee;715368][QUOTE=clara;715269]

Napa Chardonnay- is that Napa Chardonnay blush? The one by Brad gates? I’m looking for that one![/QUOTE]

Following

greenthumbomaha September 25, 2018 12:58 AM

[QUOTE=Tormato;715464]A few more things I've harvested...

cucumber - Yamato Sanjaku... skins are slightly bitter, so peeling is recommended. One of my plants produced rusty/amber/brown-colored cukes, but the size and taste was identical to the green ones on the other plants. I've kept seed from the two types separate, and have a limited quantity of the brown off-type.

pepper - Trinidad Perfume...now I know what people are talking about when they say a pepper has a "floral" taste. Small, thin walled, and wrinkly, so there is a fair amount of work involved in processing them. An occasional one may have nearly imperceptible heat.[/QUOTE]

How was your cucumber production, Tormato? I['ve grown something similar , Suyo Long and it was only moderate, which was fine as I had no idea what to do with them.

My local library was the seed source. The taste was kind of bland to me. Maybe I should give them another go next year.

- Lisa

Nan_PA_6b September 26, 2018 03:41 PM

My Ramallet San Llorens and Ramallet Ibiza Blanca tomatoes are ripening so slowly I'm not sure I'll be able to collect and dry seed in time. (They're Spanish "hanging" tomatoes.) Does anyone have any experience with long-keeping, slow-ripening tomato seed? When is the seed viable? Must the fruit be completely ripe? Some of these are red on the inside but still yellow on the outside; some have light red with green shoulders. What should I do?
TIA,
Nan

clara September 27, 2018 05:38 PM

[QUOTE=Raiquee;715368][QUOTE=clara;715269]

Napa Chardonnay- is that Napa Chardonnay blush? The one by Brad gates? I’m looking for that one![/QUOTE]

I think so, I got it under the name Napa Chardonnay. Light yellow cherries, some were completely yellow, some had a hint of light brown color on the top so that you could see a star when the stem was removed (same as with Dancing with Smurfs).

For me, it was the best tomato this year - we had a terribly hot summer with only a few raindrops in 5 months, but no cooling down. It was one that produced despite these unusual temps while other tomatoes refused to produce blossoms. And the taste - I can only say "wow!": a bit sweet, a bit tangy, a bit fruity, for me just a perfect combination.

I've already packed 50 ziplocks, will send them in a few days.

AlittleSalt September 29, 2018 12:35 AM

[QUOTE=clara;715704][QUOTE=Raiquee;715368]

I think so, I got it under the name Napa Chardonnay. Light yellow cherries, some were completely yellow, some had a hint of light brown color on the top so that you could see a star when the stem was removed (same as with Dancing with Smurfs).

For me, it was the best tomato this year - we had a terribly hot summer with only a few raindrops in 5 months, but no cooling down. It was one that produced despite these unusual temps while other tomatoes refused to produce blossoms. And the taste - I can only say "wow!": a bit sweet, a bit tangy, a bit fruity, for me just a perfect combination.

I've already packed 50 ziplocks, will send them in a few days.[/QUOTE]

Clara, what you described is a 5 months spring and summer drought in Texas. I know we are a long way apart geographically, but our best tomato gardening years happened in those same situations that you wrote about.

What I have learned in my gardening experience is that it's easier to water the right amount during a drought. The opposite being when it rains too much, it's very difficult drying out the soil.

AlittleSalt September 29, 2018 01:26 PM

[STRIKE]Tormato, could you PM me your address?[/STRIKE] Never mind, I found it. :)

I'm getting tomato seed packs ready today. I will update on this post. I've made it through the letter
A = 25 varieties.
B = 37
C = 31
D = 14
E = 18
F = 06
G = 30
H = 19
I = 19
J = 05
K = 09
L = 16
M = 32

AlittleSalt September 29, 2018 04:10 PM

That's half the tomato seeds book. Equaling 261 varieties with some of the varieties having more than one pack. It fills up a gallon Zipper bag. Come to think about it - that's the same thing as sending in 26 varieties of 10 bags each.

LOL that should sponsor 4 people :):lol:

It also leaves me with enough seeds to sponsor people in the 2019/2020 MMMM.

Nan_PA_6b September 29, 2018 05:03 PM

Up to 1400 seed packets here.