Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Random Pictures. (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=35477)

efisakov August 14, 2015 07:53 PM

Worth, you are funny.

I grew up drinking buttermilk as often as milk. It is good for your digestion to have it an hour before going to bed. In Ukraine it is as popular as yogurt in US. In my childhood time it was un-sweetened and no flavor added/plain. I used to add a spoon of sugar sometimes to a cup of it. It was called kefir. My mom made pancakes from scrach and recipe had kefir in it. I do eat yogurt now days, buttermilk is something we purchase as well but not to often. Buttermilk is good to marinate meat or fish in it to make them tender without adding flavor.
For people that are healthy there are plenty other ingredients that can be used to cure meat. For some not all is ok.

Worth1 August 14, 2015 09:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
White hominy Maiz Blanco Trillado.
First a salad on the left with simply red wine vinegar and sugar.
Next A savory meal with chicken tomatoes and peppers.
Last a pudding with cinnamon nutmeg clove butter and sugar.

Worth
[ATTACH]52513[/ATTACH]

AlittleSalt August 14, 2015 09:54 PM

A very nice looking dinner.

Hellmanns August 14, 2015 10:04 PM

My Gawd, man.. You should be run out of the state of Texas for eatin' like a king!:P

efisakov August 15, 2015 08:21 AM

I love 3 colors of tomatoes in your chicken plate. What kind of pasta in it?

Worth1 August 15, 2015 10:45 AM

[QUOTE=efisakov;499100]I love 3 colors of tomatoes in your chicken plate. What kind of pasta in it?[/QUOTE]
Ella no pasta it is all made from the crushed hominy.:)

Worth

efisakov August 15, 2015 11:52 AM

I hope your hominy was not made with usage of lye. I had to google both.
My mom made kashi/corn grits for breakfast some times for us. I liked it sweet. In school we had corn grits served with meat once in a while.
Potatoes are the first and rice/corn/pasta are secondary in Ukrainian cuisine.

Worth1 August 15, 2015 12:00 PM

[QUOTE=efisakov;499130]I hope your hominy was not made with usage of lye. I had to google both.
My mom made kashi/corn grits for breakfast some times for us. I liked it sweet. In school we had corn grits served with meat once in a while.
Potatoes are the first and rice/corn/pasta are secondary in Ukrainian cuisine.[/QUOTE]

If it was what would be the problem?
We made it with lye when I was growing up.
I dont understand.:?
Worth

efisakov August 15, 2015 02:34 PM

It is harmful in high dosage. I remember my mom talking about DDT (dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane). It was used years ago everywhere. Even soap. It was not harmless.

Worth1 August 15, 2015 02:55 PM

[QUOTE=efisakov;499166]It is harmful in high dosage. I remember my mom talking about DDT (dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane). It was used years ago everywhere. Even soap. It was not harmless.[/QUOTE]

All of the lye is rinsed and washed out.
The other option is harmful too which involves using slacked lime which can take the skin right off of you.
It is the same thing as pickling lime builders lime or Hydrated Lime.
Lye is also used in making pretzels.
[URL]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lye#Food_uses[/URL]
[CENTER] [B](Original) Lye Hominy[/B]
(about 6 quart jars) [/CENTER]
[B]Hot Pack[/B]—Prepare lye hominy in a well ventilated room. Place 2 quarts of dry field corn in an enamel pan; add 8 quarts of water and 2 ounces of lye. Boil vigorously for 30 minutes, then allow to stand for 20 minutes. Rinse off lye with several hot water rinses. Follow with cold water rinses to cool for handling. It is very important to rinse the corn thoroughly.
Work hominy with hands until the dark tips of kernels are loosened from the rest of the kernel (about 5 minutes). Separate the tips from the corn by floating them off in water or by placing the corn in a coarse sieve and washing thoroughly.
Add sufficient water to cover the hominy by about 1 inch. Boil 5 minutes and change the water. Repeat four times. Cook until the kernels are soft (30 to 45 minutes) and drain. Pack hot hominy into hot jars, leaving 1 inch headspace. Add ˝ teaspoon salt to pints; 1 teaspoon to quarts, if desired. Fill jars to 1 inch from top with boiling water. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rims. Adjust lids and process.
Process in a[B] Dial Gauge Pressure Canner[/B] at [B]11[/B] pounds pressure OR in a [B]Weighted Gauge Pressure Canner[/B] at [B]10[/B] pounds pressure:
Pints...............................................................60 minutes
Quarts............................................................70 minutes
[B]Caution! Altitude Adjustments:[/B]
[B]In a Dial Gauge Pressure Canner[/B]
[LIST][*]At altitudes of 1001-2000 feet, the pressure is not increased; process at 11 pounds pressure.[*]At altitudes of 2001-4000 feet, process at 12 pounds pressure.[*]At altitudes of 4001-6000 feet, process at 13 pounds pressure.[*]At altitudes of 6001-8000 feet, process at 14 pounds pressure.[/LIST] [B]In a Weighted Gauge Pressure Canner [/B]

Worth

RJGlew August 15, 2015 03:46 PM

[QUOTE=efisakov;499166]...DDT (dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane). It was used years ago everywhere. Even soap...[/QUOTE]

Man, that would be some insecticidal soap.

efisakov August 15, 2015 03:53 PM

[QUOTE=RJGlew;499177]Man, that would be some insecticidal soap.[/QUOTE]

Was used to washing head to kill lice.

Worth1 August 15, 2015 04:43 PM

How on earth did we get from Lye to DDT?:lol:
Lye isn't even toxic it is just a very strong base.
A persons stomach is full of Hydrochloric acid.

Worth

efisakov August 15, 2015 05:38 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;499196]How on earth did we get from Lye to DDT?:lol:
Lye isn't even toxic it is just a very strong base.
A persons stomach is full of Hydrochloric acid.

Worth[/QUOTE]

:shock::?!?::))

Nematode August 15, 2015 05:48 PM

We were told DDT was safe but that was a Lye.