Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Random Pictures. (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=35477)

Worth1 August 17, 2015 04:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had to cook the chicken in a pot of water before I put it on the pizza.
After de boning the chicken I simmered the scraps and made a broth.
This sat over night in the fridge.
Today it was used to cook rice in with a few spices added red pepper salt and onion flakes.
Waste not want not.8-)
Worth
[ATTACH]52569[/ATTACH]

bower August 17, 2015 06:25 PM

That's the way to do it. :)

efisakov August 18, 2015 08:09 AM

Everything looks delicious. Worth, I save bouillon/broth as well. We cook meat stuffed pasta (similar to ravioli but Ukrainian style, called pelmeni) in it. You can cook them in water but in bullion they taste much better.
I bet your rice was the best ever.

Have anyone tried to marinate chicken quarters same way as turkey in brine and then smoke it. It is good, finger-liking good. Can be frozen afterwards as well.

TexasTycoon August 18, 2015 04:40 PM

I don't have any pictures (yet), but we bought another Crock Pot (I think this is our third one...the first one's stoneware got broken while moving and the second one actually got left behind in another move unfortunately) yesterday and my FIL (who works in the meat department at HEB) helped us pick a good beef shoulder roast to break it in with. That got browned last night and laid on top of some diced fingerling potatoes (a mix of waxy white ones and purple ones...the bag had brown too but those were all starting to sprout eyes), carrots, onions, and minced garlic, and then I poured on a mixture of beef broth with Worcestershire sauce, pecan liquid smoke (don't say anything - when you're in an apartment with limited smoker access you have to make do with what you have!), dried basil, salt, and pepper. Turned the crock pot on this morning before work and set it (it's programmable) for 10 hours on low. Checked on it at lunch to make sure it was working/the apartment hadn't burned down and it looked and smelled fantastic. Can't wait to dig in in an hour or two! :yes:

Carriehelene August 18, 2015 05:03 PM

Texas, that sounds awesome! Don't start eating without me. Depending on traffic, should only take me 3-5 days :)) make sure you post pictures!

Worth1 August 18, 2015 06:06 PM

Sounds great.:yes:

Last night I didn't take pictures but I made fried rice with the big pot of chicken broth rice I made.

Worth

Worth1 August 18, 2015 06:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Eating light tonight surf and turf.
Here is the small Texas grown potato I will be baking.
Worth
[ATTACH]52587[/ATTACH]

TexasTycoon August 19, 2015 09:20 AM

[QUOTE=Carriehelene;499816]Texas, that sounds awesome! Don't start eating without me. Depending on traffic, should only take me 3-5 days :)) make sure you post pictures![/QUOTE]

I completely forgot to take pictures before it was eaten! :lol: It was good, though. Next time I'll serve it over some egg noodles.

Hellmanns August 19, 2015 09:04 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;499825]Eating light tonight surf and turf.
Here is the small Texas grown potato I will be baking.
Worth
[ATTACH]52587[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]
We call that size fingerlings here in Ky..:))

AlittleSalt August 20, 2015 12:39 AM

[QUOTE=Worth1;499298]Looks great Zana.:yes:

This is how I live on a budget.
I bought 2 bags of chicken thighs and washed them completely.
I then drained them and put them on parchment paper in the freezer.
When they are about half frozen I separate them and let them freeze completely overnight.
They then go in freezer bags.
This way I can pull as many as I want without thawing out more than I need.
Works great.
Here it is fourteen dollars worth of chicken.
Worth
[ATTACH]52539[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

We do the same thing. Family packs are way cheaper by the pound. We're going to make Pollo Loco (Crazy Chicken) tomorrow. A dish that features chicken thighs, cilantro, garlic, chopped onion, and peppers. You can make it mild or hot - use whatever peppers you want. We're going to use Aji Amarillo peppers.

The recipe can be made however you like. But this is a basic recipe:

Boil chicken thighs whole with just enough water to cover them. Add a few Chicken bouillon cubes or powder. (If you are on a salt free diet - don't add the bouillon cubes) Don't overcook them - a little pink is actually good.

Remove the chicken thighs saving the broth,

Let the thighs cool and strip the meat from the bones. Cut into bite sized pieces and return them back to the pot with the broth in it.

Add cut onion, garlic, tomatoes, cilantro, and whatever you want to add to it.

Add cumin and paprika, onion and garlic power, - whatever you like. Louisiana hot sauce tastes really good in it too.

Simmer for a while. That will finish cooking the pink chicken - instead of overcooking it.

It is that versatile and easy, and doesn't cost much to cook.

I'll post a picture after we cook it.

Worth1 August 20, 2015 09:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Been really busy watching movies and sleeping in.
The other nights surf and turf.
And tonight I am simmering a huge cast iron Dutch oven full of stew.
Browned rib meat carrots onions potatoes tomato paste garlic portabella mushrooms sweet Madeira cabbage and so on.
Tomorrow it will get more vegetables including potatoes.
The first batch is to help thicken it.
Worth
[ATTACH]52620[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]52621[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]52622[/ATTACH]

AlittleSalt August 20, 2015 09:51 PM

Looks good Worth. Summer is the perfect time for movies or watching Netflix and relaxing. Oh yeah, it rained 3 inches here today - almost wet down all the dust - lol. Guess I'll have to break out the mower tomorrow.

I'll be cooking the Pollo Loco tomorrow - didn't have time today. I'm also going to make cheese enchiladas to go with it. I'm going to make a sauce to go on the enchiladas. I don't have any fresh tomatoes to make the sauce with, so I'm going to use an 8 oz. can of tomato sauce, Thai Hot peppers, onions, and garlic - all chopped very fine. Some S&P and comino/cumin. I'm only making 6 smaller enchiladas. Food for 2 dinners and leftovers.

efisakov August 20, 2015 10:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
O boy, sounds delicious. Love enchiladas and Dutch oven stew.
I made lamb soup with carrots, potatoes, rice, pepper and cilantro. mmm...
Serving with sour cream. My BIL, MIL, and FIL are visiting.

bluee19 August 20, 2015 10:43 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;500195]Been really busy watching movies and sleeping in.
The other nights surf and turf.
And tonight I am simmering a huge cast iron Dutch oven full of stew.
Browned rib meat carrots onions potatoes tomato paste garlic portabella mushrooms sweet Madeira cabbage and so on.
Tomorrow it will get more vegetables including potatoes.
The first batch is to help thicken it.
Worth
[ATTACH]52620[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]52621[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]52622[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

ahhh, your food looks so GOOOOODDDDD!!! Comfort food for the soul, that's what I need. Thanks for sharing your pictures with us. I so enjoy seeing what you cook. I can't wait until the holidays what you all will be cooking!!!

Worth1 August 21, 2015 12:48 AM

The stuff is taking forever to cook.:lol:
I'm going to leave it on low and go to bed.

Worth