Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Starting From Seed (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Saving Tomato Seeds Questions (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=36891)

ContainerTed July 13, 2015 05:41 PM

[QUOTE=crmauch;489302]Ahh, but if I use the laundry bleach I don't have to account for it! Otherwise, I have to present the receipt to SWMBO, who'll ask "What is this for -- did you [I]really[/I] need it?" :twisted:[/QUOTE]

I couldn't live like that!! :?!?: :twisted: :))

AlittleSalt July 26, 2015 12:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
All of the seeds in picture below were saved like Carolyn's book says. They were all started on the same day in the same hour. They all fermented well and were all put on their paper plates at the same time/day. I couldn't help but notice the Snow White seeds being darker in color. The book says I fermented them a little too long, but will grow just fine.

I'm curious if Snow White seeds just happen to be darker in color? Or is it -
Some tomato seeds need less time fermenting than others?

bluee19 July 26, 2015 01:22 PM

[QUOTE=AlittleSalt;493170]All of the seeds in picture below were saved like Carolyn's book says. They were all started on the same day in the same hour. They all fermented well and were all put on their paper plates at the same time/day. I couldn't help but notice the Snow White seeds being darker in color. The book says I fermented them a little too long, but will grow just fine.

Some tomato seeds need less time fermenting than others?[/QUOTE]

Great job!
Your seeds look awesome :D

ginger2778 July 26, 2015 02:33 PM

[QUOTE=AlittleSalt;493170]All of the seeds in picture below were saved like Carolyn's book says. They were all started on the same day in the same hour. They all fermented well and were all put on their paper plates at the same time/day. I couldn't help but notice the Snow White seeds being darker in color. The book says I fermented them a little too long, but will grow just fine.

Some tomato seeds need less time fermenting than others?[/QUOTE]
Robert, whatcha gonna do with all those?

Worth1 July 26, 2015 02:39 PM

[QUOTE=ginger2778;493193]Robert, whatcha gonna do with all those?[/QUOTE]

It is a tremendous amount of seeds. :)

Worth

Cole_Robbie July 26, 2015 03:55 PM

Crap, I didn't know there was already a tomato called Amish Gold. I have a yellow tomato I got from some Amish in Kentucky, and I have been calling it that at market. It's been a great performer, and done better than the hybrid variety Carolina Gold.

I guess I can go back to calling it 'Amish Bicolor' even though that's not as catchy.

Worth1 July 26, 2015 04:02 PM

[QUOTE=Cole_Robbie;493222]Crap, I didn't know there was already a tomato called Amish Gold. I have a yellow tomato I got from some Amish in Kentucky, and I have been calling it that at market. It's been a great performer, and done better than the hybrid variety Carolina Gold.

I guess I can go back to calling it 'Amish Bicolor' even though that's not as catchy.[/QUOTE]

Now if people save the seeds and grow them they will call them Amish Gold too. :?:shock::?::))

Worth

AlittleSalt July 26, 2015 04:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Marsha, some will go to the MMMM. I mostly saved that many because it was fun learning how.

The picture is kind of blurry, but those are just part of the ones I packaged this morning. Here's the rest

Cole_Robbie July 26, 2015 04:12 PM

Out of hundreds of market customers, I can remember only one who was a seed-saver and really into heirlooms. You people have no idea how advanced you are in comparison to the typical tomato grower. Seed-saving is way over the head of most people. My own family used to tell me it was impossible before I found this web site.

AlittleSalt July 26, 2015 04:15 PM

[QUOTE=Cole_Robbie;493222]Crap, I didn't know there was already a tomato called Amish Gold. I have a yellow tomato I got from some Amish in Kentucky, and I have been calling it that at market. It's been a great performer, and done better than the hybrid variety Carolina Gold.

I guess I can go back to calling it 'Amish Bicolor' even though that's not as catchy.[/QUOTE]

Amish gold's parents are Amish Paste and Sungold.

Cole_Robbie July 26, 2015 04:19 PM

I'm just happy to get my stepdad to finally stop lecturing me that Carolina Gold is the best yellow tomato in the world. He didn't understand why I was giving him plants of an heirloom variety to grow. Now he does, and he wants to grow it instead.

NarnianGarden July 26, 2015 05:55 PM

Wow, those pics are impressive! Great job! *applause*

joseph July 26, 2015 06:13 PM

[QUOTE=AlittleSalt;493170]I couldn't help but notice the Snow White seeds being darker in color.[/QUOTE]

With potato seeds, I notice big differences in seed color between varieties. I suppose that tomatoes are similar. There are inherent differences in color, and there are environmental factors. They work together to arrive at a final color for the seeds.

pauldavid July 27, 2015 02:10 AM

Good job Robert. Nice packaging!:)