Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing In Containers (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Herbs in Containers ? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44091)

Cole_Robbie March 29, 2017 11:54 AM

I've wanted the mojito mint that Territorial sells, but they only sell live plants, and only for a brief time during the spring...or a least they are frequently sold out.

Deborah March 29, 2017 01:36 PM

Shawn, awesome idea!

NarnianGarden March 29, 2017 01:40 PM

I just potted a parlsey and a strong mint (sold with that name tag.. spearmint I guess?) today..
They'll grow on my windowsill until it's warm enough to go out, sometime in April/May.
I love how easy it is to take a twig of mint and just re-root it, but indeed, it is very invasive. Containers only..

AlittleSalt April 6, 2017 02:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I found these pots at Dollar Tree yesterday. I'm wanting to grow herbs in them. They are 6" across at the top and 6" tall.

greenthumbomaha May 15, 2017 10:56 PM

[QUOTE=Cole_Robbie;628269]I've wanted the mojito mint that Territorial sells, but they only sell live plants, and only for a brief time during the spring...or a least they are frequently sold out.[/QUOTE]

Did you start your herb garden Robert?

I found Mojito in a 4 inch pot in the herb section of a garden center for $3.99. It didn't smell all that different from the ordinary (not spearmint) that I have wildly growing in my front yard. I though about buying the Mojito for the novelty but passed.

I started oregano and parsley from seed back in January when the gardening itch struck. I just bought lemon thyme (very nice) and pineapple sage from Bonnie Plants. Everything is going gangbusters outside now. All are in pots. I hope they are good at overwintering indoors.

They are definitely a little more challenging
than tomatoes.

- Lisa

AlittleSalt May 15, 2017 11:31 PM

Lisa, our mint is doing great, and the rosemary is alive. The dollar tree 12 cell starting packs are about to be replanted with tomato seeds. But the good thing is that if I had to pick two favorite herbs - by far they would be mint and rosemary. I like things with a bold taste.

Cole_Robbie May 16, 2017 11:51 AM

My Emily basil was great again this year as a container plant. I seem to have better luck growing it than I do the Genovese basil.

greenthumbomaha July 18, 2017 12:46 AM

How are your plants doing Robert? You gave me the itch to start more herbs than usual this year. I'll make a new post with my containers soon.

- Lisa

AlittleSalt July 18, 2017 02:01 AM

Lisa, I sure would like to know how your herbs are doing. I planted mine and it rained too much.

greenthumbomaha July 19, 2017 12:26 AM

Robert, sorry to hear it didn't work out as expected. I hope you keep trying to get an herb garden started despite the rain. Its a never ending process to keep these plants going, but you will always have at least a few successes with the others being stubborn.

I planted a few terracotta pots of Bonnie Plants in early spring and some seed grown oregano and parsley and they have been doing great under cover on my stoop. In another thread I found out that I have spider mites and they took down 2 pineapple sage plants and I'm monitoring a columnar basil that has yellowing leaves.

I've been monitoring herb posts as last week I bought a bunch of plants on sale at a hardware store that was closing out the garden area for the summer. The prices ranged from ten cents to a dollar! Unfortunately for the business it was a bad year because of the cold then too hot weather and they have never had so much left over. Ive been researching what may overwinter in my climate and what needs potting up for winter indoors in a sunny window, I'll head over to the herbs section and post a list. Hope to see you there!

- Lisa

SpookyShoe November 8, 2018 05:24 PM

Fall herb garden

1 Attachment(s)
A mix of potted herbs and those in the ground. This was a couple of days ago. I like to use a few plant stands for visual interest.

Donna, Texas Gulf Coast

greenthumbomaha November 8, 2018 07:22 PM

Beautiful, Donna. I see oregano in a pot, and of course sage and rosemary in the ground, but not sure of the others. What do you have started in the pot? Are you able to grow outdoors all winter, even in the ground like that?

Every year I bring in herbs with the best of intentions. The thyme that was struggling outside in the heat of the summer has given up and is shedding all over the floor. Marjoram and rosemary are very fickle too with dry indoor heating. They did fantastic in my cabin with oil radiators at 55 degrees, but I now have forced heat geothermal - big difference. Oregano is still holding on. Everything needs a haircut and they'll probably naturally thin (sacrifice) themselves .

- Lisa

SpookyShoe November 10, 2018 03:26 PM

And the herbs are....

I started cilantro in the pot.

Most of the herbs are not visible in the photo. I've got rosemary, Mexican mint marigold (I cut back the pooped out plants left over from summer and it's coming back), thyme, oregano, marjoram, sage, mints, parsley, garlic chives, and lavender. I have basil in pots that I had to bring inside last night because of a cold snap. I can grow basil outside most of the year, but it doesn't like cold. Everything else stays outside all year. I do have to protect the Mexican mint marigold (substitute for French tarragon) if it freezes.

The garden was looking pretty bad at the end of the summer, so i ripped out just about everything, amended the soil, and put in mostly new plants. Things will start filling out the area.

D.

AlittleSalt November 10, 2018 04:22 PM

That does look very nice. :yes:

I looked up El Lago, and found that I drove right past it on the way to Galveston. It was at night and I was so glad to be out of Houston. We won't talk about how many years ago that was :lol:

SpookyShoe November 10, 2018 06:40 PM

El Lago

[QUOTE=AlittleSalt;718931]That does look very nice. :yes:

I looked up El Lago, and found that I drove right past it on the way to Galveston. It was at night and I was so glad to be out of Houston. We won't talk about how many years ago that was :lol:[/QUOTE]

El Lago has historical significance in that many astronauts during the nascent years of had homes here. It's still a popular place for NASA folks.

In addtion, it was a favorite place to hide for the French pirate Jean Lafitte. As of yet I have found no buried treasure in my backyard. :cry:

Donna