Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Grub Update (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=96)

nctomatoman April 4, 2006 10:08 PM

Grub, we have very similar palates. There is no way I can do any justice to your incredible assessment - suffice to say that I agree with your key points - Green Giant has incredible staying power re plant health (it was the last standing for me last year), the initial shot of sweet/fruit is striking, then the acidity and balance comes in.

Now you need to have a good year and representative sampling of Lucky Cross - the other perennial star of my recent tomato gardens.

Of course, you've only increased the buzz, expectations and general hysteria for Green Giant!

tjg911 April 5, 2006 12:08 PM

i had to go back and read about green giant in this thread. sounds like an excellent tomato. grub, you must be a writer? you really can capture and hold my attention!

i remember reading at gw about green giant last summer/fall, i'm sure it was craig's comments. green giant sounded really good, too good, so i ignored what i read! i told myself i don't need to consider this, i have too many to try with limited space so i sure don't need to consider another, especially a green one! i have only grown 1 green tomato, aunt ruby's german green, and i didn't think much of it, ok but nbd. i am strongly baised towards red and pink tomatoes. so once again i'm reading very interesting comments about green giant.

tom who really needs to go to a choptag event and taste all there is without using the garden space!

gardenmama April 5, 2006 03:19 PM

<Digging through seed vials for Green Giant and GMG to start NOW since we won't be moving this summer after all.>

montanamato April 5, 2006 05:37 PM

Grub...You have left me very sad, I am fairly sure Green Giant is too long season for me. I did start one seedling awhile ago ( actually only 1 germinated), and will give it a go, but the practical side of me says now would be a good time to trade my remaining seeds for a more realistic green when ripe.
Anyone have any extra Grubs Mystery Green? It sounds earlier....

Jeanne

Grub April 6, 2006 01:33 AM

One for Tom

Tom,
I still have one Prue left on the vine. Last for the year. :)
More like a hack than a writer :wink:
Have a great season.

loeb April 19, 2019 04:56 AM

Grubs Mystery Green is one of the best greens I ever had.. This year I have only one plant.. and another one that is supposed to be red - last time, the batch of GMG had one red between them.. is it possible or it had to be some kind of accidental cross?

Tormato April 20, 2019 02:36 PM

There's a "Grub's Mystery Green Red" (a red variant of GMG) that's been around for quite awhile, but not much news on it. The original GMG was an unknown cross found by Grub, likely released before being stable.

And in 2018, a "Grub's Mystery Green Orange" showed up in an online friend's garden. They shared a few seeds with me.

BettyC-5 August 20, 2019 03:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Seed from the Grubs Mysery Green "Orange" produced this. And it didn't taste very good.

Tormato August 22, 2019 03:27 PM

[QUOTE=BettyC-5;744297]Seed from the Grubs Mysery Green "Orange" produced this. And it didn't taste very good.[/QUOTE]

Are those yellow shoulders?

I have three plants of GMG "Orange". A RL bicolor, a PL bicolor, and a RL black. None were very good.

BettyC-5 August 22, 2019 05:13 PM

Yes, the shoulders are yellow and dry. The original orange was really good.

BettyC-5 November 16, 2019 11:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Update on Grub's Mystery Green "Orange". The second plant had a tomato that was better tasting.
Now I have another one. I gave my mom a GMG "Orange" and she ended up with a yellow. I was rather mild tasting, but I think I let it get over ripe. I saved a few seeds.

Nan_PA_6b November 18, 2019 12:45 PM

Looks more like a White in that picture.