Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Brandy Boy Hybrid (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=40087)

Captain Neon August 11, 2016 11:24 AM

I've grown Better Boy for years and have always been pleased, but will likely only grow one Better Boy in 2017 with Brandy Boy filling spaces previously held by Better Boy. In 2018, I may not be growing Better Boy at all. I will be growing fewer Brandywine next season as well to free up space for other varieties. Ponderosa has been awesome this season and will likely displace a Brandywine plant in 2017.

Hudson_WY August 11, 2016 12:25 PM

[QUOTE=swellcat;585972]Because it is sacred?

[URL="http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=39977"]Dehybridized Brandy Boy[/URL][/QUOTE]

There are several that have had success with "Dehybridization" of Brandy Boy in spite of those that have had failures. I know of an F10 that is true to the breed from reports of the gardener. I am saving seeds this year and will be planting F2 next year to see what I get. I am in the group that would like to successfully Dehybridize Brandy Boy to save seeds. Once Burpee looses the patent on Brandy Boy Hybrid seeds - who knows what will happen to the seed. It is frustrating ordering Hybrid seeds because you never know what you will get from year to year - that has been my experience anyway! The seed is only as good as the breeder's quality control - IMO.

Captain Neon - I gave up growing Better Boy two years ago. There are just too many varieties out there that perform as good but have a better taste than Better Boy - IMO

NarnianGarden August 11, 2016 12:56 PM

I don't mind hybrids (I have only grown three so far), I can see their value for both the home gardener and at the industrial scale. Breeders definitely deserve to be compensated for their efforts they've put into these projects.
The only question mark I might have is the ethical side of some seed producing companies and how they may be connected to the agri giants (ok, the M company...), that do have a reputation of being ruthless in looking out for their interests.
I would like to be sure the hybrid variety that I grow has been ethically produced (farmers and workers well paid), and that all the royalties go to where the need to go, the breeder and the developer, not a giant company that already gets enough profit.

Gardeneer August 11, 2016 04:14 PM

[QUOTE=Hudson_WY;586185]There are several that have had success with "Dehybridization" of Brandy Boy in spite of those that have had failures. I know of an F10 that is true to the breed from reports of the gardener. I am saving seeds this year and will be planting F2 next year to see what I get. I am in the group that would like to successfully Dehybridize Brandy Boy to save seeds. Once Burpee looses the patent on Brandy Boy Hybrid seeds - who knows what will happen to the seed. It is frustrating ordering Hybrid seeds because you never know what you will get from year to year - that has been my experience anyway! The seed is only as good as the breeder's quality control - IMO.

Captain Neon - I gave up growing Better Boy two years ago. There are just too many varieties out there that perform as good but have a better taste than Better Boy - IMO[/QUOTE]
Yes, I know the guys ( from the other site ) who have taken Brandy Boy to F8 , F10. You can dehybridise your own. In your greenhouse you can do 2 generations per year.

Hudson_WY August 12, 2016 08:09 PM

[QUOTE=Gardeneer;586253]Yes, I know the guys ( from the other site ) who have taken Brandy Boy to F8 , F10. You can dehybridise your own. In your greenhouse you can do 2 generations per year.[/QUOTE]

Yes - I can do two a year! Just think - some day it may be said that the Brandy Boy seed has been in the Hudson Family for 80 years and everyone will want to get the seeds from the Brandy Boy, Hudson Strain - haha!

Hudson_WY August 18, 2016 09:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Yeah !!! - we have our first ripe Brandy Boy on the 2nd crop. I had forgotten (since the last crop ended) how wonderful they taste!! It must have carried the flavor from Brandywine because it sure has the same taste spectrum - IMO !! I can't tell the difference between Brandywine Sudduth and Brandy Boy in taste! The fruit also has very few cracks, great size, very prolific and hardy !

clkeiper August 18, 2016 11:54 AM

Oh, it looks wonderful. I just cut all mine off... green and colored... into the trash. I accidentally sprayed them with an herbicide. sigh!

Hudson_WY August 20, 2016 11:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Have you ever grown a perfect tomato (perfect in your mind). I think I came close with this Brandy Boy. This is almost what a perfect tomato would look like in my mind.

Hudson_WY September 7, 2016 06:10 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Brandy Boys are still producing - most of them weigh-in around a pound ! They taste wonderful !!

Barb_FL September 7, 2016 08:41 PM

Great pics as usual.

I've started seeds for the fall season. If mine are half, make that 25% as productive and perfect as yours I will be a happy camper.

Ricky Shaw September 8, 2016 07:36 PM

A brute of a plant that produced as well as Big Beef for me. I had 5 Brandy Boys, one 4-stem in a 20gal fabric, three 3-stem and one 2-stem plant in the 15gal fabrics. It was adequate sizing for my conditions and a second watering was only needed a couple of times when temps neared 100F. Evaporation is a problem for containers here, and this plant could probably be grown in more humid climes, 1 or 2 stems in a 10 gal pot with only one watering/feeding daily.

Ed of Somis September 9, 2016 09:51 AM

Based on all of Hudson's stunning reviews...I planted one container and one in-ground Brandy Boy last year. Both turned out to be diseased messes...the worst of all my maters. Now, I am not blaming Hudson....for sure. But, I was so disappointed because it sounded so good. My weather is really good tomato weather...and my disease problems are certainly less than most folks. I wonder if I should try another seed source...just because it could make a difference??? The whole thing has me cornfused.:lol: PS Interesting to read the posts regarding unreliable hybrid seeds. I am not sure I understand all the finer points...but maybe that explains the different results folks are having. I realize different practices/weather can make a difference, also.

Hudson_WY September 10, 2016 10:02 AM

6 Attachment(s)
I hear you Ed! I could say the same thing about many varieties I have tried that get great reviews and I have such high expectations - only to find that they are duds in my greenhouse with much disappointment ! What could I be doing wrong ???

I finally came to the conclusion that it is just not worth it ! When I see a performer for other gardeners then I want to give the variety a trail. They get one or two chances based on their performance. If they don't like my greenhouse - why fight it. There are plenty of varieties that do.

When I have a bad seed issue - then that is a different problem. But bad seeds from my experience - is a more obvious problem and can usually be identified. For me, bad seeds manifest themselves with different variances in leaf, germination rate, plant & fruit appearance and taste characteristics inconsistent with the varieties norm (based on reviews & photos). I have experienced bad seeds many times and sometimes from creditable seed sources.

Although Brandy Boy and some the other varieties we like vary some from year to year in outcome based on environmental conditions - they are consistent producers and love our greenhouse. Especially Brandy Boy!!

Hudson_WY September 14, 2016 04:04 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Most all of our Brandy Boy tomatoes on our second crop weigh in between 14 and 24 ounces! One slice per BLT Sandwich is all it takes! And did I tell you how great they taste - haha !!

Gardeneer September 15, 2016 12:21 AM

Wow , Hudson ! The second crops is just as good if not better than first.
You have a winner. Actually more than a winner.
I will grow BrBy next year again, along with BW Sudduth.