Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   The Workbench: BIY™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Shop Smith Restoration. (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=42532)

Worth1 August 11, 2016 07:17 PM

Shop Smith Restoration.

1 Attachment(s)
Some of you may have seen where I picked up an old Shop Smith from way back when.
More than likely one of the first that was made back in the late 40's or early 50's.
If not here is what it looked like.
[IMG]http://www.tomatoville.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=60189&d=1462914737[/IMG]
Since then it has been disassembled and put in the garage.
It took some doing as it was all rusted up.
[IMG]http://www.tomatoville.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=60221&d=1462995905[/IMG]

The two long tubes are more or less what you call ways, this is what other parts of the lathe slides on.
Today I have one of them polished back up.
You cant turn the stuff off I had to polish it off to maintain the proper diameter of the tubes.
One down and one to go, it is a lot of work in a 95 degree garage, it makes the 80 degree house feel cool.
As times goes on I will continue to post the progress of this old relic here.

Worth.
[ATTACH]65321[/ATTACH]

Worth1 August 11, 2016 08:00 PM

Now the other one on top is cleaned up and polished and it is beer O Clock.:D
Now more power tools.:no:

Worth

Worth1 August 11, 2016 08:53 PM

I did a quick search and came up with this information on this critter.
It is a Shop smith 10E.
The 10E stands for experimental a 10ER stands for experimental revised.
They were made from 1947 to 1953 so mine is more than likely from the 40's.
They were invented by Dr. Hans Goldschmidt of Albany, CA, in 1947; made by the Magna America Corporation.
Shopsmith INC did not make these machines.
Shopsmith INC didn't come around until 1972.
[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combination_machine#The_Shopsmith[/url]

kurt August 12, 2016 07:19 AM

It good to see and read that a lot of classic American tools/machinists are being brought back from the dead and dressed up and pressed back into service.America is short of skilled machinists and a revival is in the works now to train more of them into our blue collar workforce.My truck brakes for all garage sales,I enjoy cruising Craigslist for all of that classic American craftsmanship,Ebay has some good finds.Thanx Worth for keeping the traditions alive yet alone actually use them!

Worth1 August 12, 2016 11:33 AM

[QUOTE=kurt;586336]It good to see and read that a lot of classic American tools/machinists are being brought back from the dead and dressed up and pressed back into service.America is short of skilled machinists and a revival is in the works now to train more of them into our blue collar workforce.My truck brakes for all garage sales,I enjoy cruising Craigslist for all of that classic American craftsmanship,Ebay has some good finds.Thanx Worth for keeping the traditions alive yet alone actually use them![/QUOTE]

Than you Kurt.

I have no idea what I am going to do with the thing, maybe make bowls.
Throughout the years parts have been lost from it.
The only thing I need is the long gone tool rest and I will just have to make or modify one.
They didn't have a shop class where I went to school they spent the money one sports.
We had FFA and welding in that class.
If you couldn't have livestock you couldn't be a member of FFA.
This left a lot of kids out in the cold.
The Ag teacher and I didn't get along well at all in welding class as well as one of my friends.
Your using up all of my gas and rods he would complain.
No it is our gas we pay the taxes order more.
Where some kids would build a small gate the friend and I built big trailers.
Both in the same year he was a grade farther up than me.
As for lathe work I had to teach myself.

Worth

Douglas_OW August 13, 2016 08:35 AM

[QUOTE=Worth1;586375]Than you Kurt.

I have no idea what I am going to do with the thing, maybe make bowls.
Throughout the years parts have been lost from it.
The only thing I need is the long gone tool rest and I will just have to make or modify one.
They didn't have a shop class where I went to school they spent the money one sports.
We had FFA and welding in that class.
If you couldn't have livestock you couldn't be a member of FFA.
This left a lot of kids out in the cold.
The Ag teacher and I didn't get along well at all in welding class as well as one of my friends.
Your using up all of my gas and rods he would complain.
No it is our gas we pay the taxes order more.
Where some kids would build a small gate the friend and I built big trailers.
Both in the same year he was a grade farther up than me.
As for lathe work I had to teach myself.

Worth[/QUOTE]

Hi Worth,

Either you were ahead of your time, or you didn't get to go to the right high school.

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/embed/O6Uq4_38m2k"]https://www.youtube.com/embed/O6Uq4_38m2k[/URL]

Good to know that there are some schools, and students, doing great things today.
Do you think that they would let us go back to high school? I think it would be more fun now.

Jim

Worth1 August 13, 2016 04:13 PM

[QUOTE=Douglas_OW;586584]Hi Worth,

Either you were ahead of your time, or you didn't get to go to the right high school.

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/embed/O6Uq4_38m2k[/URL]

Good to know that there are some schools, and students, doing great things today.
Do you think that they would let us go back to high school? I think it would be more fun now.

Jim[/QUOTE]

The school I went to sucked, it was as poor a school as you could imagine with a huge Native American population.
The Ag shop class had one vise and it was broken and a few junky Lincoln cracker box AC stick welders.
As far as I am concerned they should have fired the Ag teacher even to this day I feel that way.
Worth

Worth1 August 13, 2016 07:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the hind legs all cleaned up and primed.
Cant make my mind up on what color I want to paint the thing.
I really dont like the machinery gray.
Any who it is being primed and painted with oil based enamel and a brush.
I dont see the need to spray paint rough castings.
Also turned the hammer marks off the knob.
Worth

[ATTACH]65376[/ATTACH]

Worth1 August 14, 2016 09:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Decided to go with gloss black when they dry I might go with some gold striping here and there like the old Singer sewing machines.
I have cleaned almost all of the parts primed, panted and they are in different stages of drying.

All oil base enamel.
Worth
[ATTACH]65429[/ATTACH]

kurt August 15, 2016 06:31 AM

Found a nice addition for the shed.

I have it bolted to a 2x12 x 4ft chunk of wood as a movable tool for some saw horse bull work.It comes apart for reconfiguration so to get that optimal working angle.

[url]http://www.garrettwade.com/ultimate-versatile-vise.html[/url]

Worth1 August 15, 2016 01:26 PM

[QUOTE=kurt;586995]I have it bolted to a 2x12 x 4ft chunk of wood as a movable tool for some saw horse bull work.It comes apart for reconfiguration so to get that optimal working angle.

[URL]http://www.garrettwade.com/ultimate-versatile-vise.html[/URL][/QUOTE]
I made a steel mounting plate for mine that does the same thing off the end of my steel saw horses

It looks like the vise has reversible jaws.

Worth

Worth1 August 15, 2016 02:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Making sure the stuff goes back together and wanted to see how it was going to look.:lol:

Worth

[ATTACH]65435[/ATTACH]

Worth1 August 15, 2016 05:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got the head stock separated from the motor and the head sock parts including bearings are removed so I can clean it up.
Parts everywhere.:lol:
[ATTACH]65438[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]65439[/ATTACH]

Worth1 August 15, 2016 06:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Before and after shots of the quill feed knobs that go on the head stock.
The were a bugger to get off, it took me a good long while so as I didn't beat them up any more.
The shaft they fit on is cleaned up, de-burred and now they go on fine.
As a matter of fact I am using that shaft to hold them in the lathe.
I also got the motor pulley off without hurting it.
Worth
[ATTACH]65440[/ATTACH]

dmforcier August 15, 2016 09:35 PM

Good work. You gonna show the finished product to the previous owner?

Worth1 August 16, 2016 10:55 AM

[QUOTE=dmforcier;587115]Good work. You gonna show the finished product to the previous owner?[/QUOTE]

Thanks, more than likely I will.
I took the shaft apart and the thing has four sets of ball bearings in it.
Two big bearings in the back where the pulley is and two smaller ones on an inner shaft.
Works just like the spline drive on a drill press.
Worth

Worth1 August 16, 2016 02:24 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Got everything but the motor to take apart clean rewire and paint.
Oil base enamel takes forever to dry and cure but good things don't come in a hurry.
They used the same stuff on old cars and it lasts forever.
Worth

[ATTACH]65465[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]65466[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]65467[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]65468[/ATTACH]

Worth1 August 16, 2016 06:09 PM

I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to wire this darn motor.
Not only did I not take pictures of how it was wired I can barly remember how it was wired.
Some time in the past someone took the switch off the front and direct wired it to a bunch of wires in the back along with another switch.
If you look ate the one motor picture you will see two wires coming out of it.
I have looked on line at these old motors and I can only see one pair of wires coming out.
Now O know what they did.
They tried to put a reverse switch on the machine but some how wired it wrong.
I know they wired it wrong because I remember how the switch was wired.
The reason I cant remember how they wired it is because they didn't wire it right if that makes any sense. :lol::dizzy:
The motor has two pairs of wires one pair will make it run one way the other pair the other way.

Worth

dmforcier August 17, 2016 12:56 AM

It looks like there is a wiring box housing on the motor - the oval bit held on by two screws. I bet they got inside and dicked around.

Fusion_power August 17, 2016 11:02 AM

Do you have an electrolysis bath? all it takes is a plastic 55 gallon drum, a sheet of stainless steel for the positive electrode, a battery charger, and some lye.

[url]http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/electrolytic_derusting.htm[/url]

[url]http://nautarch.tamu.edu/CRL/conservationmanual/File10a.htm[/url]

loulac August 17, 2016 01:18 PM

If I had read the word "lathe " in the headline I would have jumped in the train sooner !
Great work has been done on that lathe, the wiring of the motor apparently isn't easy to read, to play it safe I suggest you send pictures of the wiring to experts on a technical site. I can't see why a lathe designed to work on wood should run in both ways, make it simple !
Keep us posted, the first shavings are not far away now, how do you intend to fight the dust ?

Worth1 August 17, 2016 02:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I know how to wire up the motor I just need to trace out the wires and look at some diagrams.
There is no terminal block inside the pecker head, that is what they are called here in the states.
Everything is direct wired.
The thing had a 4 way switch mounted on the back and the on off switch was missing.
Many other parts are missing as well.
The thing had a saw table and all sorts of attachments that I dont even care to find.
It can be used as a drill press and I dont need that either.
As for the dust this thing will be mounted on a rolling stand and rolled outside.
When not in use it will be turned in the upright position and the rest of the stand will be used as a work bench.
I have no idea what was on the cast parts it must have been spry on primer.
I took the parts and either soaked them in hot water all night with laundry soap or boiled them in citric acid and laundry soap.
The grease dirt and what ever the rusty red stuff was came right off.
Worth
[ATTACH]65502[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]65503[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]65504[/ATTACH]

Worth1 August 17, 2016 06:15 PM

From having to soak this thing in kerosene.
Then beating everything apart with a board and sledge hammer to giving the stuff a flick of the hand and watching it slide with ease from one end to the other.
I honestly never thought I would see this day come.:D
Now it is on to making or buying the parts I need that are missing and cleaning up three locking handles.
I may rebuild the locking handles to something better later.
The open belts need to be covered up too.
They are a disaster waiting to happen.

Worth

Salsacharley August 17, 2016 06:45 PM

Gee Whiz Worth. You only started this thread 5 days ago. I'm amazed at how fast you've rebuilt this thing.

Worth1 August 17, 2016 10:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Salsacharley;587444]Gee Whiz Worth. You only started this thread 5 days ago. I'm amazed at how fast you've rebuilt this thing.[/QUOTE]

It helps to have the right tools and have a lifetime of mistakes behind me.:lol:
The other is to be willing to except a certain level of flaws and knowing the reality of what your are going to do with it and that is use it.

I got tired of looking at the pitted rusty tool post that isn't really the tool post it is something else but will be the new tool post.
It was either sink or swim so I turned the pits out of it and it is still good enough to use.
It has a pretty good finish on it now.
All I have to do it make a stop collar that was lost somewhere in the machines life.
I turned the rod at 1000 RPM's at a 0.0013 per inch feed rate per revolution.
This turned the chips blue they were so hot.
When you see this kind of chip your production is right and the finish is good.
Worth

[ATTACH]65510[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]65511[/ATTACH]

dmforcier August 17, 2016 10:32 PM

Wow, you took a lot off. Is that a shoulder about 1" down?

AlittleSalt August 17, 2016 11:03 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;586278]Some of you may have seen where I picked up an old Shop Smith from way back when.
More than likely one of the first that was made back in the late 40's or early 50's.
If not here is what it looked like.
[IMG]http://www.tomatoville.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=60189&d=1462914737[/IMG]
Since then it has been disassembled and put in the garage.
It took some doing as it was all rusted up.
[IMG]http://www.tomatoville.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=60221&d=1462995905[/IMG]

The two long tubes are more or less what you call ways, this is what other parts of the lathe slides on.
Today I have one of them polished back up.
You cant turn the stuff off I had to polish it off to maintain the proper diameter of the tubes.
One down and one to go, it is a lot of work in a 95 degree garage, it makes the 80 degree house feel cool.
As times goes on I will continue to post the progress of this old relic here.

Worth.
[ATTACH]65321[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

Have you ever had a moment when you wish you could go back in time to see something in its exact color and state before it was ever used? The black does look good.

I am glad you posted pictures before restoration as well.

Worth1 August 17, 2016 11:23 PM

[QUOTE=dmforcier;587486]Wow, you took a lot off. Is that a shoulder about 1" down?[/QUOTE]

It will be but I need to make the part that goes on it first.
The thing was cheaply made in the standards of the 40' and 50's to make it affordable for the average person in the middle class bracket.
I intend to remedy some of that.

Even then it is of a much higher quality than some of today's junk
The cast iron is very good quality.

The machine is creepy dangerous in today standards.
In the drill press position just one little turn or bump of the locking lever can send the whole motor assembly crashing down.

I grew up around huge open flat belts running saw mills and other milling equipment so it doesn't bother me.

Worth

Worth1 August 17, 2016 11:48 PM

[QUOTE=AlittleSalt;587490]Have you ever had a moment when you wish you could go back in time to see something in its exact color and state before it was ever used? The black does look good.

I am glad you posted pictures before restoration as well.[/QUOTE]

Salt I know exactly what it used to look like.
There is one old dude on Youtube that is using his fathers or grand fathers and it has never been restored i dont think and looks new.

Just google Shopsmith 10E or 10ER

Hard to beat good lead based paint.:lol:
There are a ton of missing parts.
You could even use it for a band saw.
I was battle ship navy gray.
The must have been a huge surplus of the paint after the war because so munch machinery was painted that color after the war.

I chose the gloss black because that is what I had in stock.

Worth

AlittleSalt August 18, 2016 12:50 AM

"There are a ton of missing parts."

That puts adventure into restoration, but the way I think of it is as a way to improve - gives it a different way of looking at it.

What I am about to post sounds a little off-topic, but it really isn't.

I had a lifelong friend who passed away earlier this year. I met him when I was 3 or 4 years old - he was my uncle's age and was their friend. I only knew him by his nickname, "Strawberry" Of course because of his red hair. That man lived to restore old cars/hotrods professionally. Every generation around here knew and respected him.

My last interaction with him was early this spring. I sent him some tomato transplants that included some blue-when-ripe tomatoes. He was beyond excited to see them produce and taste them.

I had to stop typing for a few minutes.

A new color can be really good.

I don't have money, but maybe I can help you find some of those missing parts?