Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   CHOPTAG™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   CHOPTAG 2012 Taste Fest (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=23736)

JerryL July 1, 2012 02:22 PM

CHOPTAG 2012 Taste Fest

[COLOR=black][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3]Boy did I strike gold. Susan (aka Barbee) has graciously agreed to host this year’s CHOPTAG Taste Fest. [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3]It will be held on Sunday August 19th from 11:30 to 3 pm.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3]Susan has a farm out in Mount Orab, Ohio. That’s about 40 miles east of downtown Cincinnati. She grows plenty of tomatoes and pigs and gigantic pumpkins and assuming they haven’t eaten him, Mr. Turkey.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3]If you need some ideas for a greenhouse/shed she has a great one. Amish built and real nice.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3]We had our Spring Plant Swap at Susan’s and she and her DH Brad were great hosts. [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]Everyone is welcome to join us. This is a family affair, so bring the kids, the parents, the grandparents and anyone else that likes tomatoes.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3]There is only one rule. Bring tomatoes or bring food.[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=black]Susan lives at [/COLOR][COLOR=black]17127 Minnick Rd. Mount Orab 45154. If you Google map it you’ll see it is just off Rt 68 about half way between Rts 50 and 32.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

lurley July 10, 2012 10:17 AM

Woo Hoo!!! THANK YOU BARBEE! (Susan)! You have a great place :)

Barbee July 10, 2012 02:12 PM

Hope to see you all here :)
We had a nice turnout for the plant swap and I'm optimistic we will have a good crowd for the tasting, too.

I want to mention a couple of things that I forgot to do for the plant swap. First is weather related. We will be hosting the tasting in our large shop.. so rain or shine, we should be real comfy. It was pretty hot for the plant swap but with all the doors open and the fans moving the air around, it was very pleasant. So don't let the weather stop you from coming. Second is kid related. Our kids are grown up and have left the nest so we don't have anything for the kids to play with. There is plenty of room to play ball or ride bikes but we don't have either, so don't be afraid to let them bring something fun with them.
Hopefully, I will have some nice giant pumpkins and watermelons for you to see during your visit and Tom the turkey is always ready to show off for company.
I had my first BLT of the season last night along with a couple of ears of sweet corn. Tomato eating season has officially started :)

Barbee August 2, 2012 04:41 PM

OK it's getting time to discuss the tasting :)
I have had some damage to my plants the last couple of weeks but I should have plenty of varieties for tasting. Boy that Fish Lake Oxheart is one fine tomato. Oh and Wessel's Purple Pride is another good one this year. Got that nice smokey taste that you need to have perfect conditions to bring out the flavor.

I think I'll bring the meat and drinks for the tasting. That way you can bring side dishes which will travel better. If I get real rambunctious, I'll throw together a kitchen sink cheese ball.

Let's get some good discussion going about the tasting. It will be here before we know it!

beatpoet August 2, 2012 06:18 PM

Things are doing mostly well in my garden, got a late start this year, so I've only had ripe cherry tomatoes until this week. Got my first Stupice yesterday and there's about 7 more on the plant that are blushing. Did lose two plants this week, had to take them down due to disease, but the rest all have green tomatoes on them so I'm hopeful that things will be ripening soon. I'll probably whip up a batch of green salsa again, people seemed to like that last year and my peppers are doing great.

JerryL August 2, 2012 08:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4]WOW only 17 days. Time sure flies.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4]My tomato crop hasn’t been that great this year but I should have a few to bring. I’ve had my best cantaloupe crop ever so I’ll be sure to bring some.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4]In addition to the above I’ll make some Italian Pasta Salad.[/SIZE][/FONT]

lurley August 3, 2012 11:36 PM

[IMG]http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m583/lurleybeth/july31058.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m583/lurleybeth/july31059.jpg[/IMG]
Unlike last year, I should have plenty of tomatoes for the tasting this year. I'll bring a dessert ( or two :))

yrb August 9, 2012 07:38 PM

Beautiful!!!

lurley August 10, 2012 11:01 AM

This is chocolate stripes I got from you :)
[IMG]http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m583/lurleybeth/july31025.jpg[/IMG]

Barbee August 10, 2012 11:15 AM

I'm so glad to see you have a bunch of tomatoes. My patch is on its last breath here and I have been worried about having enough varieties to get a good tasting going. Hooray!
That one looks really good. Looking so forward to trying everything!

JerryL August 16, 2012 11:50 AM

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Well it’s been a horrible year – drought, heat, disease and lack of care. But I went out this morning and picked what I do have. I wanted to get them before we get the predicted rain tonight (that’s been a joke this year) so they wouldn’t split even though they get watered regularly. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]I’ll have a pretty good selection of varieties but only one or two tomatoes of each. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Deborah and I are looking forward to seeing everyone on Sunday.[/SIZE][/FONT]

beatpoet August 16, 2012 01:29 PM

Yeah, I hear you there, I've been battling some disease issues myself, got plenty from Stupice and my cherries, but the rest I'll probably only have one or two tomatoes of each to share. Still much better than last year though for me at least.

Barbee August 16, 2012 04:10 PM

Disease all over the place here. In fact, I'll most likely tear my garden out after the tasting.
I think 1 or 2 of each variety is plenty enough. Besides, the early bird gets the worm, errr tomatoes, right? ;)

JerryL August 18, 2012 09:28 AM

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Are you insinuating my tomatoes have worms? :panic:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]I’ll have you know I remove all traces of worms, insects and the like before I serve them[/SIZE][/FONT].:))[/FONT]

Barbee August 18, 2012 11:33 AM

Boy I have been a busy bee the past 2 weeks!
Lets hope we have a good turnout or you're going to be taking lots of food home ;)

Crispy Corners Guy August 19, 2012 06:54 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone today at the tasting. I may be a little late and have to leave a little early, but I'm finally getting to come to a tasting!

I'm bringing some bean salsa and chips -- and a few different varieties of tomatoes for tasting, of course, including my new favorite of this year's new ones to me, Dagma's Perfection. It's the bomb!

Barbee August 19, 2012 07:37 AM

Hooray! See you later!
I'm officially going offline now to do some last minute stuff. Everyone have a safe trip and I'll see you soon :)

beatpoet August 19, 2012 06:31 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Was good to see everyone today, tasted lots of wonderful tomatoes. Here's the photos I took of all the varieties we had.

Barbee August 19, 2012 07:24 PM

Tomatoes everywhere today! Thanks for the photos Heather and great to see you again! Now I never thought I'd say this EVER but I may have had enough tomatoes for the day LoL

lurley August 19, 2012 08:13 PM

Thanks for hosting Barbee! It was a great way to spend the day :yes:

JerryL August 20, 2012 09:16 AM

8 Attachment(s)
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]I got the impression everyone enjoyed themselves yesterday. I know I did.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]First I want to thank Susan and Brad for hosting this year’s event. Everything was ideal. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]There was a lot of talk about the tough season everyone was having but there didn’t seem to be any lack of tomatoes. I tasted some old favorites and plenty of new ones. Plus there was the usual bounty of food. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Lurley won the tastiest tomato vote with Georgia Green and while we didn’t vote I declare her Banana Cream Cookie thing the best desert. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Thanks to everyone who came.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Dukerdawg August 20, 2012 11:08 AM

I'm so glad everyone had a great time. I really miss you folks. I am having the worst year ever for growing tomatoes. I have picked 4 or 5 so far. That's it! Usually it's 4-5 bushels by now! Too hot too soon and my tomato patch going on 15 years of growing in the same spot needs some major help aka chicken poo etc.

More pics please!

Duane

zeroma August 20, 2012 02:36 PM

Had a great tasting time Sunday

Thank you Susan and Brad for hosting a wonderful new experience for me. I was there from Dayton with my friend and fellow gardener Susan.

I've never tasted so many tomatoes in my life. Since I've never been before, I didn't know what to expect and your event was beyond my expectations.

The favorite tomato for me was the Gold Medal, even though it didn't win overall. Last night after I go back home, I started soaking all the seeds Susan and I collected and am already invisioning them growning away next year.

Can't wait to show the photos Susan took to our 'clinic study" garden group and tell them what they all missed.

Hope to see you in the Spring with some great seedling to swap.

Vicki:D

Barbee August 20, 2012 05:11 PM

Duane,
You're just going to have to come down next year and do the tasting with us. If you don't have any tomatoes, we will send you home with plenty! Seriously, come down next year and enjoy with us :)

Vicki, I liked that Gold Medal too! That was really a nice surprise when I popped it in my mouth. Not normally a yellow tomato fan but that one was nice! I'm so glad you and Susan made the trip down and I hope to see you next spring at the plant swap!

Jerry, poor Tom in jail for the day and molting to boot. He is one sorry looking turkey. And yes that nanner pudding that Lurley made rocked! We are still talking about that delicious thing today LoL

Crispy Corners Guy August 21, 2012 01:07 AM

Yes, many thanks to Barbee and Brad for hosting and to everyone for the opportunity to taste so many different varieties. Georgia Green was the best tasting green I've ever tried.

I do have to agree with you, Jerry, that Lurley's banana pudding was outstanding! Got to try that recipe for myself soon.

I just finished putting up another 13 quarts of tomatoes tonight. The chickens will sure have a treat tomorrow with all the cores, skins, and occasional bad spots, and they'll help next year's tomato crop by giving me plenty of poop to put on the garden when I clean out the barn this fall too!

Thanks again, and I look forward to seeing you all in the spring!
Tim

meadowyck August 21, 2012 08:58 AM

The pictures are incredible, there sure was plenty to sample, even if it was a bad year, gosh I would hate to see how many tomatoes there would have been had it been a good year....LOL Looks also to have been a great sheltered placed to be for the tasting, this almost, I say almost made me want to be back in northern Ohio so I could have come.... I miss my friend in OH but I sure don't miss the winters.

Thanks so much for sharing some of the pictures from you wonderful mater tasting. I rate this an A+ event.

Mark0820 August 21, 2012 05:04 PM

Lurley,

Would you mind posting your banana desert recipe here? I like anything "banana" and would like to give it a try as well.

salix August 21, 2012 05:53 PM

What Mark0820 said...

lurley August 21, 2012 06:00 PM

I used this recipe, from Ms Paula Deen :)
[URL]http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/not-yo-mamas-banana-pudding-recipe/index.html[/URL]

yrb August 21, 2012 10:25 PM

Thank you Susan for hosting. I had a great time! Never thought I would ever get to the point of having to spit out mouthfuls of tomatoes during a tasting! I'm sure the 2 helpings of nanner puddn had nothing to do with that!..I think we had more varieties than ever to taste! We have the best tomato family!