Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Crosstalk: Tomatoville Research and Development™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Pandora's Box (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=20652)

frogsleap farm December 23, 2011 12:16 PM

Pandora's Box

2 Attachment(s)
Last summer one of my breeding lines generated a unique segregant that really got my attention. Orange and striped on the outside, and bright lime green inside. Working name is Pandora's Box.

cornbreadlouie December 23, 2011 02:53 PM

Whoa that looks amazing. Lemme know if you ever want somebody to grow it!!!

Really cool color combination.

Raffles December 23, 2011 03:10 PM

How was the flavor?

frogsleap farm December 23, 2011 04:10 PM

[QUOTE=Raffles;244902]How was the flavor?[/QUOTE]

Taste was very good. The only negative, and it's an important one here in MN, is that this plant was very late. I'm hoping I can find segregants in the next generation that are stable for the color combo and with earlier fruit.

Wi-sunflower December 23, 2011 05:21 PM

Could the lateness be partly the blame of the cool crummy weather we had last "summer" ??

I know here in Wi, we didn't really have a spring and summer didn't get here til about mid to late July.

Maybe with a normal summer it will be more of a normal ripe time.

Carol

frogsleap farm December 24, 2011 08:38 AM

[QUOTE=Wi-sunflower;244914]Could the lateness be partly the blame of the cool crummy weather we had last "summer" ??

I know here in Wi, we didn't really have a spring and summer didn't get here til about mid to late July.

Maybe with a normal summer it will be more of a normal ripe time.

Carol[/QUOTE]

Yep, not an ideal year. To complicate comparisons in earliness, a late spring hail storm took off the growing points on half my plants. KBX was one of the parents and is pretty late here, so that's partly why I assumed the worst.

tessa December 24, 2011 08:46 AM

i volunteer to try them out down here where the summer is 6 months long!

Shane December 24, 2011 09:38 AM

Very nice id love to give it a try

ill contact you

S

Fred Hempel December 24, 2011 12:17 PM

Was it productive once it got going?

doublehelix December 24, 2011 02:22 PM

That's a lot of recessive genes going on there. Good catch.

carolyn137 December 24, 2011 02:40 PM

Remind mind me Mark, what was it that flew out of Pandora's box when it was opened?;)

frogsleap farm December 24, 2011 03:02 PM

[QUOTE=carolyn137;245034]Remind mind me Mark, what was it that flew out of Pandora's box when it was opened?;)[/QUOTE]

In the myth, the opening of Pandora's Box introduced evil into the world. My intent was to capture the notion that you can't tell a book by it's cover - or the inside of a tomato from the outside.

frogsleap farm December 24, 2011 03:11 PM

Carolyn - you've got me second guessing myself on the name. I'll let this simmer for a while, it won't be stable for a couple of years.

salix December 24, 2011 03:24 PM

Frogsleap - is there already a tomato named Surprise!?

Raffles December 24, 2011 04:48 PM

[QUOTE=frogsleap farm;245047]Carolyn - you've got me second guessing myself on the name. I'll let this simmer for a while, it won't be stable for a couple of years.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'm showing my age but since it isn't really a true red as much as it looks like one, how about "Fellow Traveler"?

doublehelix December 24, 2011 05:49 PM

[QUOTE=carolyn137;245034]what was it that flew out of Pandora's box when it was opened?;)[/QUOTE]

The comments I could make...but I won't

Let me know if you don't use that name. I think I might have a new tomato that would be more fitting of the name. :))

frogsleap farm January 1, 2012 09:25 AM

[QUOTE=doublehelix;245071]The comments I could make...but I won't

Let me know if you don't use that name. I think I might have a new tomato that would be more fitting of the name. :))[/QUOTE]

I think I'll keep the working name Pandora's Box. I like the box full of surprises metaphor, though in this case the surprises are good, not evil.

Bama mater January 1, 2012 10:17 AM

Very nice lookin mater there Frog, Glad to hear the taste is there also.

carolyn137 January 1, 2012 10:45 AM

[QUOTE=frogsleap farm;246061]I think I'll keep the working name Pandora's Box. I like the box full of surprises metaphor, though in this case the surprises are good, not evil.[/QUOTE]

Nothing wrong with changing the outcome of the myth of evil to good coming out of Pandora's Box.

Why just last week I was able to solve the mythical conundrum of which came first, the chicken or the egg.;)

frogsleap farm January 1, 2012 10:33 PM

[QUOTE=carolyn137;246079]Nothing wrong with changing the outcome of the myth of evil to good coming out of Pandora's Box.

Why just last week I was able to solve the mythical conundrum of which came first, the chicken or the egg.;)[/QUOTE]

and the answer is ...

carolyn137 January 2, 2012 05:56 AM

[QUOTE=frogsleap farm;246233]and the answer is ...[/QUOTE]

I thought I had the answer Mark when I was cooking two over light to go with the hash and watching those eggs cook, but upon thinking it over again I guess I'd better think it over again.;)

DKelly January 4, 2012 01:25 AM

what's wrong with an evil tomato? havent you seen the movie?

travis January 4, 2012 05:11 PM

Everyone knows the egg came first since all chickens are hybrids :shock:

Wait, I said that wrong. The egg came first because the first chicken was a hybrid and all subsquent hatchlings are unstable :dizzy:

Oh wait, I think I'm still wrong :?:

Raffles January 4, 2012 05:17 PM

According to the physicists the erg came first.

maf January 4, 2012 09:38 PM

The way I heard it, the rooster came first......

lurley January 7, 2012 08:05 PM

Now you must remember that after Pandora let out all the bad stuff, there was one thing still left in the box right? It was HOPE.

Fusion_power January 8, 2012 04:00 AM

just call it Pandora. That is a fantastic tomato name.

DarJones

travis January 8, 2012 08:39 AM

Just don't keep the lid on the box!

Mashman June 4, 2012 06:21 PM

Beautiful tomato Mark. Really enjoy the pictures of this (and other tomatoes) posted to your blog. If you ever need a volunteer or it becomes available down the road please reach out. Amazing cross. Tomato gods were smiling that day!

Michael

Doug9345 June 7, 2012 10:59 PM

[QUOTE=Raffles;246790]According to the physicists the erg came first.[/QUOTE]
but I prefer to dyne and move.:)