Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Common Garden Diseases and Pests (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Just a quick Neem Oil question.. (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44963)

gssgarden May 13, 2017 05:44 PM

Just a quick Neem Oil question..

Have you had success with it? Aphids and white flies are coming on strong. Would like to go the organic route.

Mites are here too.

Never used it before. Hoping you guys can talk me into it! :)

I read on the label to spray at night or in the morn which I will do tomorrow.

Any other advice I may need?

Thanks in advance!

Greg

gssgarden May 13, 2017 05:45 PM

Oh, will I see results quickly? Or will it take a couple days?

Thanks,

Greg

jillian May 13, 2017 06:57 PM

Just make sure you use 100 cold pressed neem oil with azadirachtin. Most of the neem oils have had most of the azadirachtin extracted and is nothing really but oil and not effective. Do a Google search and you can find lots of information. Yes, the pure neem oil works great. I can't remember which brand I ordered last year but I got it off amazon. I will soon be ordering some, so far have been good with just diatamaceous earth.

RayR May 13, 2017 07:35 PM

What brand of neem oil did you buy? Follow the directions and you should be fine.
Shake your spray bottle often as it has a tenancy separate. Oil and water don't mix as they say, even though you are using a soap in the mix to emulsify the oil.

Spraying at night or in the morning is important. Never spray any chemical concoction on leaves in direct sunlight. Don't mix it with any other chemical unless you know it's safe and won't burn the leaves. I make a mix with neem oil and potassium bicarbonate to treat powdery mildew on my squash. I tested it on a leaf at first and found it was perfectly safe, no phytotoxicity qnd it was effective too.

Get complete coverage of top and bottom of the leaves. It is not persistent, it breaks down so you need to apply it regularly when you have a bug problem.

How long it takes depends, almost instantly if enough oil gets on the aphid or mite directly, it will smother them. On the leaf surface the oil acts a short term barrier, a repellent and antifeedant.

jtjmartin May 13, 2017 07:46 PM

For those that use Neem Oil, what brands do you recommend?

Gerardo May 13, 2017 07:57 PM

Neem Oil Organic Unrefined Concentrate Virgin Raw Cold Pressed Pure 2 oz [url]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EET5CP6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_B05fzbR9D888N[/url]

I got the 16 Oz bottle and you can use less than the garden direct brand.

gssgarden May 13, 2017 08:18 PM

Garden Safe Neem Oil Extract concentrate. Clarified Hydrophobic Extract of Neem Oil 70%
Other ingredients 30%
2-4 Tbs per gal.

Thoughts?

Greg

jillian May 13, 2017 08:53 PM

:?!?:[QUOTE=gssgarden;639419]Garden Safe Neem Oil Extract concentrate. Clarified Hydrophobic Extract of Neem Oil 70%
Other ingredients 30%
2-4 Tbs per gal.

Thoughts?

Greg[/QUOTE]
:no:

jillian May 13, 2017 08:54 PM

Gerardo recommended a good one. Jmo

RayR May 13, 2017 09:30 PM

[QUOTE=Gerardo;639415]Neem Oil Organic Unrefined Concentrate Virgin Raw Cold Pressed Pure 2 oz [url]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EET5CP6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_B05fzbR9D888N[/url]

I got the 16 Oz bottle and you can use less than the garden direct brand.[/QUOTE]

The same brand is cheaper on [URL="http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=A8N-SLI&_ftrt=901&_sop=13&_sadis=15&_dmd=1&_osacat=0&_ipg=50&_stpos=14227&_ftrv=1&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=Neem+Oil&_sacat=0"]ebay[/URL]
A bunch of other brands too.

clkeiper May 13, 2017 09:50 PM

order ladybugs and or lacewings. they are far more efficient.

Rockporter May 13, 2017 10:12 PM

[QUOTE=gssgarden;639419]Garden Safe Neem Oil Extract concentrate. Clarified Hydrophobic Extract of Neem Oil 70%
Other ingredients 30%
2-4 Tbs per gal.

Thoughts?

Greg[/QUOTE] I have the same question because that's what I have.

Country Breeze May 13, 2017 10:27 PM

[QUOTE=gssgarden;639419]Garden Safe Neem Oil Extract concentrate. Clarified Hydrophobic Extract of Neem Oil 70%
Other ingredients 30%
2-4 Tbs per gal.

Thoughts?

Greg[/QUOTE]

It doesn't work other than being an oil spray. Neem must be Cold Pressed/Pure. The main ingredient in neem (Azadirachtin) is taken out of the neem oil you get at box stores and most garden centers. The amazon link provided above is a good one. I don't order that brand, but i order what i use off of Amazon as well.

[url]https://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Gro-Pure-Natural-Polish-Ounces/dp/B0012BGXVQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1494728648&sr=8-6&keywords=cold+pressed+neem+oil[/url]

Neem works very well on chewing insects. Spinosad also works well and may be easier to find locally.

Country Breeze May 13, 2017 10:28 PM

[QUOTE=clkeiper;639451]order ladybugs and or lacewings. they are far more efficient.[/QUOTE]

Ladybugs fly away.

jillian May 13, 2017 10:35 PM

[QUOTE=Country Breeze;639470]It doesn't work other than being an oil spray. Neem must be Cold Pressed/Pure. The main ingredient in neem (Azadirachtin) is taken out of the neem oil you get at box stores and most garden centers. The amazon link provided above is a good one. I don't order that brand, but i order what i use off of Amazon as well.

[url]https://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Gro-Pure-Natural-Polish-Ounces/dp/B0012BGXVQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1494728648&sr=8-6&keywords=cold+pressed+neem+oil[/url]

Neem works very well on chewing insects. Spinosad also works well and may be easier to find locally.[/QUOTE]

I just looked and the Dyna Gro is what I use as well. Good price, good product.

clkeiper May 14, 2017 07:29 AM

[QUOTE=Country Breeze;639471]Ladybugs fly away.[/QUOTE]

not if they have a food source. and they need a bug friendly environment. if you are doing organic then you should also be planting a insect blend of flowering plants in a row to support them.

gssgarden May 14, 2017 09:33 AM

Sooooo, I won't get good results with what I have? :(

jillian May 14, 2017 10:00 AM

No you will not. It is just oil and diluted additives with very little azadirachtin. Sorry to disappoint. I used what you have in the beginning and wondered why it didn't work. Again, you need pure cold pressed neem oil, 100 percent.

Can you return it? I would get my money back and order the good stuff :)

oakley May 14, 2017 10:59 AM

I have both. The Safe is an older bottle, the Dyna-Grow is new this past Fall. They both
suffocate on contact. In a very short time, a few hours, i can see shriveled dehydrated
aphids. Much prefer the Dyna Neem. I like the control of mixing my own with pure
castle soap.
The Safe brand does not list the other ingredients, almost 30%. Could probably find out
but i've switched to Dyna. I keep the Safe brand in the garden shed and might use it up
on the fruit trees if needed.

In combination with YellowStickyTraps, food grade DE, you get the trio to wipe them out
or seriously decrease the numbers. The trio seems to attack all life stages.

Sticky traps let you know how well you are doing by a visual maintenance. Takes care of
some of the adult population but not all. DE seems to only be effective on the soft
bodied nymph stage. Neem does its thing on all other stages, and the most obvious as
you can literally watch it work. -DE is super for slugs.

My numbers are way down. Caught 2 on my fresh sticky trap in an entire week and
inspected all my peppers and found one cluster of nymphs that i sprayed.

If unopened i would return it but use it if you have it. It will give you a head start. Like i
mentioned, it will work but not as effective as pure Neem.

Salsacharley May 14, 2017 12:33 PM

I've been using Monterrey 70% Neem oil for 3 years. I find it effective. I tried Dyna Gro and got poor results. I mix the Monterrey 70% Neem with BT (for hornworms) and DE and spray all at once. I got a 9 Gallon power sprayer (I have 150 plants) and It works great for me, but I have to be consistent, spraying every week. After a couple of weeks I don't have to add the BT except for monthly. My area is plagued with spider mites so I have to fight them constantly.

edweather May 14, 2017 01:10 PM

I just purchased this last week from ebay. $8.99 for 8oz w/free shipping. Got it in 3 days.

[url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/111453862515?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/url]

oakley May 14, 2017 01:22 PM

I believe various results are directly related to paying attention and catching troubles
early. Or if every year problems are inevitable, be pro-active and use your preferred methods
early. Sometimes the damage is done before noticing. Leaf sucking critters take sometimes a week
to show any damage.

I sprayed my mix of fermented garlic and hot pepper, mixed with DE two months ago all around
the base of our home to keep out the army of ants we used to get every spring...and a prayer that
it helps with some other unwanted pests. I have two aggressive sprayers that will not clog DE.
I mix a big batch and hit most of the yard edge forest. I don't believe DE is less effective wet as some do.
It does not dissolve in water as we know from 'flour-dry'. Just disappears into the soil from wash-out.
Re-applying as a top dressing is recommended.

When the aphids hit my peppers seedlings, micro sunflowers, and the asparagus seedlings
all at once, i used avocado oil and castile soap immediately, and made DIY sticky traps and
vinegar/soap traps.
After first taking all plants to the sink for a dip/water bath. I needed an immediate head start
to start the battle right away. Obviously not possible for the garden plants.

Beneficial Nematodes tonight. Everywhere. Had all day rain yesterday. I do this once a year and keeps
lots of early hatches down. Or may be just a prayer. But i see fewer ticks every year to almost none.
-I live in a forest.

GrowingCoastal May 14, 2017 01:25 PM

Avocado oil? Could you elaborate?

Rockporter May 14, 2017 01:51 PM

[QUOTE=jillian;639610]No you will not. It is just oil and diluted additives with very little azadirachtin. Sorry to disappoint. I used what you have in the beginning and wondered why it didn't work. Again, you need pure cold pressed neem oil, 100 percent.

Can you return it? I would get my money back and order the good stuff :)[/QUOTE]

I agree, I had to cut off numerous stems on all my tomato plants last week after witching the use of both neem and then changing over to daconil. After spraying with daconil I had no problems with fungus after rain. This other stuff was the last used before a very tiny amount of rain and I had fungus everywhere. I just ordered the real stuff, wish I could take back the junk neem.

Country Breeze May 14, 2017 02:14 PM

The thing I like about Neem is that I can spray it once every couple weeks and prevent a lot of insect damage being it will kill chewing insects and disrupt their life cycle. I use it as a preventative. Also much friendlier on the beneficial insects than normal insecticides because it doesn't normally harm them after its dry, as it has to be ingested at that point. So spraying late evening or early morning when the bees are not out, and hitting the leaves only are good practices.

BT is great for worms and I use it on the sweet corn. I let the parasitic wasps get the Horn Worms.

Salsacharley, I've never had an issue with the Dyna Grow. What were the poor results you experienced? Wonder if it was old or a bad batch?

Hollylasue May 14, 2017 02:45 PM

I have used the gardensafe brand and it works fine. It is all that's available locally and I prefer to support the mom and pop stores when possible. However lady's work best for me. They stay and are well fed and other beneficial bugs show up too. I agree with the advice about beneficial bugs if you are trying organic. Makes life much easier. I also use the garden safe neem on all my house plants as a preventive and I have no issues with mites even on mite susceptible plants.