Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   So far not impressed with blue tomatoes (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=29037)

Qweniden July 5, 2013 11:17 AM

So far not impressed with blue tomatoes

I still need most of the blue varieties to come in but so far they seem to be lacking in the flavor department (but sure are pretty).

What has been other people's experience?

Boutique Tomatoes July 5, 2013 12:08 PM

I did a taste testing last year with what varieties I had available, the thread is here somewhere. There were some winners, but quite a few fell into the 'Ok' category. It's still pretty early in the process of integrating the antho genes into breeding programs to try to find good flavor.

Which ones have you tried?

RobinB July 5, 2013 12:57 PM

Wild Boar Farms and Artisan Seeds are both doing crosses with blue tomatoes that put taste first instead of looks. I'm trying several new to me this year from both vendors and I have high hopes from them. The first blue tomatoes were awful tasting, but pretty. Now, they are being crossed with different colors, shapes and sizes. Don't give up!

discoprincess July 7, 2013 10:58 PM

I grew Indigo Rose last year. I thought the flavor was nothing to write home about.

I had obtained the seeding from a vendor at a nearby greenmarket (what farmer's markets are called here in NYC). I noticed this vendor wasn't selling this variety again this spring.

NarnianGarden July 8, 2013 06:55 AM

I've seen the Indigo Rose pics and although it looks pretty, that alone is not enough for me to justify getting some seeds and going through the work of planting and caring for them.. I love gardening and enjoy caring for my tomato plants, but not if the only payoff will be in the decorative / ornamental department..

As for the health benefits, I wonder if the higher amounts of anthocyanins might have any remarkable effects..?

Boutique Tomatoes July 8, 2013 08:12 AM

Indigo Rose was not impressive from a flavor standpoint here either. A couple of Tom Wagner's varieties fared better. This year I have some from Brad Gates in the field as well, Brad has a pretty good track record for getting some good tasting varieties.

I think there is a paper referenced around here somewhere that lends credibility to the idea that the cherry sized blue varieties have the potential for benefits. This year I'm crossing some blue lines with various currant types to get an even higher proportion of skin to fruit.

Tom Wagner July 8, 2013 11:54 AM

[QUOTE][URL="http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?p=361930#post361930"]So far not impressed with blue tomatoes[/URL]
[/QUOTE]
When I see blanket comments without relationship to a variety I can only assume that we are talking about the founding variety: Indigo Rose. My friends in Hawaii were so sure they wouldn't like the Indigo Rose but were shocked to find that they liked them. Maybe not as much as some of my blues....

As a breeder/vendor, my varieties are poorly vetted since I don't have the distribution that Indigo Rose has had.

I think we still have to learn how to best grow the varieties and practice when to pick them and consume them. [I]I am still learning![/I]

[QUOTE]There were some winners, but quite a few fell into the 'Ok' category. It's still pretty early in the process of integrating the antho genes into breeding programs to try to find good flavor.[/QUOTE]
I have dozens of blue lines floating about out there and I suppose time will tell what wins the hearts and minds of gardeners.

[QUOTE]payoff will be in the decorative / ornamental department..

[/QUOTE]There is much to be said for a decorative/ornamental tomato variety.
[QUOTE]Now, they are being crossed with different colors, shapes and sizes. Don't give up![/QUOTE]
With all the odd recessive genes that I have coupled with the blue fruits...it is getting wild out there. Since I am in such a cold climate...down to 52 in one of my plots....getting any info on flavor is fleeting at best.

[QUOTE]noticed this vendor wasn't selling this variety again this spring.[/QUOTE]
I am afraid folks will give up too soon on the blue tomatoes and not try to find the obscure varieties available from myself and others here on TVille.
[QUOTE]

As for the health benefits, I wonder if the higher amounts of anthocyanins might have any remarkable effects..?[/QUOTE]
There are many but I will defer to a later post on that.

[QUOTE]that lends credibility to the idea that the cherry sized blue varieties have the potential for benefits. This year I'm crossing some blue lines with various currant types to get an even higher proportion of skin to fruit[/QUOTE]
A good number of my blue cherry varieties have 1/4 currant (pimpinellifolium) introgression. Yes, the smaller the fruit and with sparse folliage to mediate high anthocyanin coloration and working to get the pericarp more deeply colored...there are great opportunities to get a significant increase in the actual consumption of the benefits. Squishing the seed out of the tiny blues allows one to cook up some great blue chutney.

Wi-sunflower July 8, 2013 12:07 PM

Last year due to the crummy weather, my Indigo Blue plants went out rather late. Because of that they were quite late here.

While they set fruit and colored up blue fairly soon, they were VERY slow to actually ripen. If you picked them before the non-blue portion turned pink, they didn't taste good at all. When pink tho, they weren't bad.

So part of the taste issue is educating people when to pick. I'm sure plenty of people thought they were ripe when they saw the blue. Even that vendor of the plants may not have known when and thought "I can't sell something this awful" so didn't grow it again.

Carol

Boutique Tomatoes July 8, 2013 12:35 PM

[QUOTE=Tom Wagner;361978]
I think we still have to learn how to best grow the varieties and practice when to pick them and consume them. [I]I am still learning![/I]
[/QUOTE]

As are we all. The challenge of trying to pick some of the completely antho varieties by feel was an interesting one for me last year. It will be fun this year trying to get my helpers to learn to pick varieties like this one.

[IMG]http://www.onthemarksolutions.net/images/peppers/Large GWR Antho Cherry.jpg[/IMG]

I have dozens of blue lines floating about out there and I suppose time will tell what wins the hearts and minds of gardeners.
[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping to do a tomato tasting event this year with a local charity to build more awareness. More than a third of my grow out this year has some antho in it.

I am afraid folks will give up too soon on the blue tomatoes and not try to find the obscure varieties available from myself and others here on TVille.
[/QUOTE]

We need to get blue tomatoes into a challenge basket on Top Chef. :D Then people will be beating down the doors.

A good number of my blue cherry varieties have 1/4 currant (pimpinellifolium) introgression. Yes, the smaller the fruit and with sparse folliage to mediate high anthocyanin coloration and working to get the pericarp more deeply colored...there are great opportunities to get a significant increase in the actual consumption of the benefits. Squishing the seed out of the tiny blues allows one to cook up some great blue chutney.[/QUOTE]

Two of the antho parents I am using are Helsing ★★★★★★★★ Blues and a dark Fahrenheit Blues line. I'm hoping to come up with a couple of flesh colors in the 1/3 inch size that are as dark as the blue parents in a couple of years.

NarnianGarden July 8, 2013 02:04 PM

That is fascinating. keep up the good work! :D

There is much to be said for a decorative/ornamental tomato variety.
[/QUOTE]

I'm sure there is ... and I appreciate beauty wherever it is. As a hobby gardener with limited resources and space, I however rather put those energies towards growing some good-tasting varieties. It would be great to get the extra health benefits along with great taste - just like is the case with wild blueberries that soon will be ready to be picked. :love:

Smoke July 8, 2013 02:28 PM

I'm thinking about getting a seed packet of "dancing with smurfs" for next year.
[URL]http://sustainableseedco.com/organic-dancing-with-smurfs.html[/URL]

peppero July 9, 2013 06:21 AM

[QUOTE=Qweniden;361175]I still need most of the blue varieties to come in but so far they seem to be lacking in the flavor department (but sure are pretty).

What has been other people's experience?[/QUOTE]

i have had similar results and have not planted again. i may try again at a later time. they do look nice though.

jon

Tom Wagner July 9, 2013 12:22 PM

One of the major problems of creating new tomato varieties such as blue tomatoes is how to maintain some control on the seed.

You can't!
The breeder doesn't even get to write the descriptions. But I suppose a misquote of an old adage...
[I]"Flattery is the sincerest form of imitation"[/I] applies...I should be flattered that others are selling my varieties. Few, however, even take the time to honor the breeder of varieties such as DANCING WITH SMURFS.......but they are giving the variety a thumbs up with comments like...[B]a real true tomato flavor! [/B]

[QUOTE]Who wouldn't love a blue tomato with a name like "Dancing With Smurfs"!
Amazing blue tomato that is sure to be to talk of your block.
Stunning purple/blue tomatoes that turn purple/black/red when completely ripe.
Small blue cherry tomato borne in clusters of 6-8.
Very heavy producer.
The [B]flavor is a real true tomato flavor[/B][/QUOTE]
Well then....I guess I could find some "Flattery" money somewhere to get some much needed gas in my car and go cross with my single plant of DANCING WITH SMURFS. I'll use him as a "Daddy" and cross him with a distant cousin BLUE PITTS just to make sure I have official flavor endeavors.

Rideau Rambler July 9, 2013 12:55 PM

I love my Indigo Rose. I planted it in my front garden so that dog walkers have something to admire while their critter urinates on my mailbox post. It is my first mater plant to bear fruit this year. I'd much rather have a decorative ornamental tomato than a basketful of annuals. Although I am considering a ring of Venus flytraps around my mailbox next year...lol

fischer1611 July 9, 2013 01:18 PM

I find this interesting. My experience with the blues has been quite good. I have about 50 varieties growing(my own and others; hearts ,pastes, cherries, beefsteaks, dwarfs). Tom Wagner's have been extremely early for me(Chocolate blues, blue bayou, Blue pitts, dancing with smurfs,..and a couple more) . And loaded with fruit, in spite of one of the worst growing seasons in the last century.
Compared to Indigo rose, which is ok to good for me(and not set fruit yet this year), these others are excellent.