Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Tomato Recipes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Tomato Pie Recipe? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=36093)

AZGardener April 18, 2015 08:45 AM

Tomato Pie Recipe?

Does anyone have a tomato pie recipe they can share? I saw one on this farming tv show that this family of farmers made and sold in their farm store and apparently they are amazing! Thanks in advance!

efisakov April 18, 2015 08:49 AM

[QUOTE=AZGardener;465580]Does anyone have a tomato pie recipe they can share? I saw one on this farming tv show that this family of farmers made and sold in their farm store and apparently they are amazing! Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

I want to know too! Please post pictures as well.

Tormato April 18, 2015 11:12 AM

There are many different types of tomato pie. Here's one...

[URL="http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost.php?p=60570"]www.tomatoville.com/showpost.php?p=60570[/URL]

Most recipes have a bottom pie crust (no top), tomatoes, herbs, and shredded cheese as a base to build upon.

AZGardener April 18, 2015 11:19 AM

Thanks Tormato! That's the one I keep seeing... :)

Tormato April 18, 2015 11:27 AM

another...

[url]www.myrecipes.com/recipe/tomato-cheddar-bacon-pie[/url]

There are so many recipes online using search terms like tomato pie recipe or tomato tart recipe. My recommendation is to substitute the herbs you like and the cheese you like if the recipe otherwise looks good.

Tormato April 18, 2015 11:33 AM

Also, use the tomatoes you like. As a word of caution, fresh tomatoes that are tart in taste, magnify that tartness when baked.

Rairdog April 18, 2015 12:37 PM

I make green tomato pies with an oil crust. You would swear there are peaches and apples in it and not tomato's. Firm pineapple tomatoes work really well but all of them work. It was a recipe from a lil ole lady in KY.

Green Tomato Pie
Ingredients
6 cups green tomatoes, sliced slightly thicker than sandwich size (they break down so keep them fairly thick)
4 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. lemon zest
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 cup sugar
4 tbsp. cornstarch
4 tbsp. butter
1 double pie crust
Add in options: Raisins, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, cranberries
Instructions
Begin by washing, peeling and thinly slicing the tomatoes.
In a medium to large sized sauce pan combine tomatoes, lemon juice, lemon rind, salt, and cinnamon. Cook these ingredients over a medium heat for about 15 minutes, stirring often to evenly cook the tomatoes.
Combine the sugar and the cornstarch in a small bowl. Add this to the tomatoes and continue to cook until the mixture thickens, about 5 to 8 minutes. It is important to stir this constantly while cooking to keep it from sticking to the bottom of the pan. The end product is a gelatinous, green filling that may not look so appealing, but trust me will taste divine!
Remove the tomatoes from the stove top, stir in the butter until it melts and then allow the mixture to cool slightly.
Pour the filling into a 9 inch pie pan lined with a crust.

Bake the pie in a preheated 350-400 degree F oven for about 25 minutes depending on your oven.

Oil Pie Crust (much easier that shortening crust and I prefer it)

1 1/2 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 to 4 tablespoons milk (or water)

Whisk together the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder. This can be done right in the pie pan, if you like. Whisk together the oil and water, then pour over the dry ingredients. Stir with a fork until the dough is evenly moistened. Work the dough across the bottom of the pie pan and up the sides with your thumbs. A flat-bottomed measuring cup can help you make the bottom even. Press the dough up the sides of the pan with your fingers, and flute the top. You can pull out a handful, roll it out and cut into strips for the top.

loeb April 18, 2015 05:24 PM

I will try this one this year. Thank you for a recipe!
I am making some kind of a pie sometimes with the stuffing made of peppers, tomatoes, onion, spices and tuna.. very nice warm or cold.. does it count?

Worth1 April 18, 2015 09:48 PM

I have yet to see what the deal is with tomato pie.:lol:
Of course if you were raised like me with cooked tomatoes for every meal.:roll:

You could fill an oil tanker with all of the tomatoes and macaroni I have had to eat.

Worth

AZGardener April 18, 2015 10:51 PM

Good one [B]Rairdog[/B]!!! I will try that one next time! Thank you! Lol [B]Worth[/B]!! I hear ya!

KarenO April 19, 2015 12:55 AM

I use frozen puff pastry. Roll out into a rough rectangle on parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Top with sliced tomato, salt, pepper, oregano, basil,crumbled feta cheese and a dribble of olive oil roughly fold up edge into a rim .... Yummy and very easy. I call it a tomato gallette.
KarenO

patty_b April 19, 2015 08:17 AM

B & B

This place back home is famous for it's Tomato pie, but I don't have their recipe..... [url]http://coxroosevelt.com/[/url]

AZGardener April 19, 2015 08:58 AM

[B]KarenO-[/B] That's what my mom said to do or just use a pie shell... [B]Patty B[/B]- I googled it, found nothing.... Dang!! Lol....

luigiwu April 19, 2015 09:26 AM

I am so curious about that green tomato pie!!

Rairdog April 19, 2015 05:47 PM

I promise you will be amazed with the green tomato pie. I heard about it from a friend that had it in a dinner in S. Indiana. They all asked the chef if there were peaches or apples in it. I was skeptical and found a recipe last year. Septoria wiped out about 30 plants and I had green tomato's coming out the ears. I was surprised at the fruity flavor. I do cut back on the sugar 1/2 cup or so. The crust was another find because I can never make good shortening crust. It is a little tedious working it out on the bottom. Just keep pressing it out from the middle with thumbs.