Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Common Garden Diseases and Pests (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Help - tomato leaves have crude and turn yellow (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=40791)

Dark Rumor April 20, 2016 07:19 PM

Help - tomato leaves have crude and turn yellow

3 Attachment(s)
Some of my tomato leaves are turning yellow on edges. Some have little black spots. Some have white specs and streaks on the underside. I have also seen white flies.
Below are pictures from one leaf with all three symptoms.

Any ideas what it is - could it be more than one problem - I have sprayed the yellow leaves with a bleach solution and the bleach has no effect on the yellow spots.

Dark Rumor April 20, 2016 07:47 PM

white fly

1 Attachment(s)
Also found a white fly on the leaves

b54red April 22, 2016 07:27 AM

That could just be older leaves near the soil. I always start pruning off all the lower leaves frequently up to the first set of blooms as early as possible but even then some of them look like that. Could be the just the beginnings of Early Blight or just the natural dying of older leaves. Leaves that come in contact with the soil will frequently be the first to go but it is the natural order of a tomato plant that the lower leaves fade as new growth and fruit develop. Don't be afraid to just remove sick looking leaves as soon as you see them. Use a fungicide like Daconil and alternate a copper spray being sure to use the lowest recommended dose of copper because it can stunt growth if too strong. The bleach spray if used at the proper mix will usually cause diseased leaves to shrivel up and die if the disease is extensive enough. The bleach will have no lasting fungicidal affect because it is gone so fast due to the quickness with which it oxidizes; but it will kill or slow down most foliage diseases as long as they are not systemic.

The whiteflies are another thing all together. Good air flow and light help keep their numbers down so don't let plants become too bushy if whiteflies are a problem. You may later have to resort to more drastic methods to remove them or slow them down because they do spread diseases and can suck the life out of plants when they become too prevalent on your plants.

Bill

Dark Rumor April 22, 2016 09:22 PM

[QUOTE=b54red;553935]That could just be older leaves near the soil. I always start pruning off all the lower leaves frequently up to the first set of blooms as early as possible but even then some of them look like that. Could be the just the beginnings of Early Blight or just the natural dying of older leaves. Leaves that come in contact with the soil will frequently be the first to go but it is the natural order of a tomato plant that the lower leaves fade as new growth and fruit develop. Don't be afraid to just remove sick looking leaves as soon as you see them. Use a fungicide like Daconil and alternate a copper spray being sure to use the lowest recommended dose of copper because it can stunt growth if too strong. The bleach spray if used at the proper mix will usually cause diseased leaves to shrivel up and die if the disease is extensive enough. The bleach will have no lasting fungicidal affect because it is gone so fast due to the quickness with which it oxidizes; but it will kill or slow down most foliage diseases as long as they are not systemic.

The whiteflies are another thing all together. Good air flow and light help keep their numbers down so don't let plants become too bushy if whiteflies are a problem. You may later have to resort to more drastic methods to remove them or slow them down because they do spread diseases and can suck the life out of plants when they become too prevalent on your plants.

Bill[/QUOTE]

Thanks Bill
I just turned my 20 plants into palm trees. I trimmed the older lower leaves. I have been trimming the lower leaves and most of the problems are the lowest branches.

After todays pruning I will do a bleach spray tomorrow and daconil on Sunday.

My biggest concern was something that I could not stop with bleach.

PureHarvest April 22, 2016 09:55 PM

The black areas could be the beginnings of black sooty mold from the whiteflies.

Cole_Robbie April 22, 2016 10:12 PM

[QUOTE=PureHarvest;554094]The black areas could be the beginnings of black sooty mold from the whiteflies.[/QUOTE]

I was about to say the same thing. That's how whiteflies eventually kill a plant, from the black mold growing on their excrement.

I used the bio-insecticide Met52 to get rid of my whiteflies. It's about $60 a pint, though.

Dark Rumor April 22, 2016 11:26 PM

[QUOTE=Cole_Robbie;554102]I was about to say the same thing. That's how whiteflies eventually kill a plant, from the black mold growing on their excrement.

I used the bio-insecticide Met52 to get rid of my whiteflies. It's about $60 a pint, though.[/QUOTE]

I have more invested than $60 at this point and I was able to plant the second week of February, so I have a lot of time and hope invested in these plants.

Thanks for the input