Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   The KARMA Project (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=38529)

KarenO July 21, 2016 03:09 PM

[QUOTE=ginger2778;580005]Karen, I just saw the photos. I got so excited I nearly wet myself!!!!:))[/QUOTE]

HAHA! they are coming along, an interesting little group. Not sure where the rugosed foliage is coming from although Captain Lucky has very thick large leaves with a touch of a wrinkle, it is not what I would call Rugose like these. Maybe there is a touch of a dwarf in that unstable ambrosia gold. Anyway, I guess we`ll never know but it is interesting anyway. I am just hoping they are not a sour little disappointment after all our love and care :lol:
KO

ginger2778 July 21, 2016 03:11 PM

[QUOTE=KarenO;580008]HAHA! they are coming along, an interesting little group. Not sure where the rugosed foliage is coming from although Captain Lucky has very thick large leaves with a touch of a wrinkle, it is not what I would call Rugose like these. Maybe there is a touch of a dwarf in that unstable ambrosia gold. Anyway, I guess we`ll never know but it is interesting anyway. I am just hoping they are not a sour little disappointment after all our love and care :lol:
KO[/QUOTE]

I bet they wont be. at least I hope not.

Fiishergurl July 21, 2016 03:34 PM

This is so exciting and the plants look lovely!!!! Can't wait to see what you all get... :-)

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

MissS July 21, 2016 03:47 PM

They are looking amazing. It looks like you both are having a lot of fun with this project and doing a great job too.

Salsacharley July 21, 2016 07:09 PM

I kind of wish my Ambrosia Gold was a bit of a dwarf. It is actually a monster. I like the loads of fruit it is putting out but it is going crazy big. I have it along side 2 other ambrosias and it is one big jungle. What a great sweet taste those golds have.
Are all Ambrosia Golds considered unstable?

[QUOTE=KarenO;580008]HAHA! they are coming along, an interesting little group. Not sure where the rugosed foliage is coming from although Captain Lucky has very thick large leaves with a touch of a wrinkle, it is not what I would call Rugose like these. Maybe there is a touch of a dwarf in that unstable ambrosia gold. Anyway, I guess we`ll never know but it is interesting anyway. I am just hoping they are not a sour little disappointment after all our love and care :lol:
KO[/QUOTE]

KarenO July 21, 2016 07:25 PM

[QUOTE=Salsacharley;580083]I kind of wish my Ambrosia Gold was a bit of a dwarf. It is actually a monster. I like the loads of fruit it is putting out but it is going crazy big. I have it along side 2 other ambrosias and it is one big jungle. What a great sweet taste those golds have.
Are all Ambrosia Golds considered unstable?[/QUOTE]

I assumed the seed I had was stable ( got it in a swap), but I only grew it out once and used it the first season as the female`mother`plant in the cross. When Marsha grew out 2 plants of the F1, we were surprised to find two different colours, a pink and a purple. if both parents are stable, the F1 offspring should all be the same (if you go back to the beginning of this thread you can see)
Basically I am certain that the Captain lucky I had was stable as I have grown it numerous times and so we surmised that the Ambrosia gold I had was not. That doesn`t mean all of the ambrosia gold seed out there is unstable. But the ambrosia gold seed I grew out was either unstable or an F1 accidental cross although I think that is unlikely since the plant I grew out had all the characteristics of what ambrosia gold is supposed to be. It is a great tomato, excellent taste, big and vigorous, early and makes pretty trusses which is why I used it in this wide cross with the tricolour beefsteak Captain lucky who I used for the potato leaf, great taste and possibility of interesting colour. The goal of this project is a great tasting fancy colour (ie not red) Potato leaf cherry tomato.
KO

ginger2778 July 21, 2016 07:41 PM

[QUOTE=MissS;580025]They are looking amazing. It looks like you both are having a lot of fun with this project and doing a great job too.[/QUOTE]

I know I am. Karen is a genius. ( or a mad scientist- muahahaha):lol:

ginger2778 July 21, 2016 07:44 PM

[QUOTE=Salsacharley;580083]I kind of wish my Ambrosia Gold was a bit of a dwarf. It is actually a monster. I like the loads of fruit it is putting out but it is going crazy big. I have it along side 2 other ambrosias and it is one big jungle. What a great sweet taste those golds have.
Are all Ambrosia Golds considered unstable?[/QUOTE]

There are many who have gotten not stable AGs.

KarenO July 21, 2016 07:52 PM

[QUOTE=ginger2778;580091]I know I am. Karen is a genius. ( or a mad scientist- muahahaha):lol:[/QUOTE]

oh I am hardly either, just a gardener who likes to mess around with a little tomato breeding now and then ;)

I think it will be fun to see what a nurse and a dentist come up with here.
KO

KarenO August 19, 2016 03:02 AM

Tick tock tick tock....waiting for the first to ripen is driving me crazy! One has dark green shoulder guessing will be a black, some with none... What colours will be seen in the F2, another day or two and we shall see in this heat

ginger2778 August 19, 2016 10:09 AM

I can't wait to see. I have set aside 6 spots in my garden for the PL F3s. Hoping to get Pink and also purple. Pretty cool if we get a yellow or GWR too. Karen, this is fun!

KarenO August 19, 2016 11:11 AM

Sorry it is taking so long, such a late start for me this year. Next year will be earlier I promise
K

ginger2778 August 19, 2016 11:25 AM

It's all good. You might have had a few things on your plate this year, lol.

KarenO August 19, 2016 12:21 PM

Here is a link to the KARMA project F2

picshttps://www.facebook.com/NorthernGardenerCanada/photos/?tab=album&album_id=681026175371907

so excited to see the colour(s) and especially to taste them. It has been a lonely summer for me without and tomatoes to eat yet :)
Karen

KarenO August 27, 2016 02:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
KARMA purple F2. A Clear epidermis black, Really pretty, tangy and sweet. sets fruit in trusses of about 8-10. Pretty happy with this one. Meets all the goals of the project which was to breed a tasty fancy colour potato leaf cherry to stabilize as an OP.

Now my dilemma is, should we go exclusively with this one going forward or bring along at least one sister line in another colour... Marsha, everybody, what do you think... there is an unusual bicolour with green gel that I think might segregate further in the F3 while this black one I am willing to bet will be fairly easy to stabilize
I am leaning toward bringing along another but we both have limited space.

A fun problem to have , go with the sure thing or take a chance on another.
KarenO