Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Common Garden Diseases and Pests (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Is this Early Blight? Thead Deleted. Thanks!!! (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47606)

FourOaks June 1, 2018 08:13 AM

Is this Early Blight? Thead Deleted. Thanks!!!

I just want to say thank you.

What could have turned into a productive conversation and discussion, along with great photos of the progression, was deleted. [B]All because it was Hi-Jacked by a Moderator.[/B] The comments could have been deleted, but instead, the entire thread was.

If those are the types of Politics in play here, then just as well, feel free to delete my account.

carolyn137 June 1, 2018 10:59 AM

[QUOTE=FourOaks;702468]I just want to say thank you.

What could have turned into a productive conversation and discussion, along with great photos of the progression, was deleted. [B]All because it was Hi-Jacked by a Moderator.[/B] The comments could have been deleted, but instead, the entire thread was.

If those are the types of Politics in play here, then just as well, feel free to delete my account.[/QUOTE]

I just looked in the Forum for Garden Diseases and Pests , but don't see a thread that was deleted it would indicate in the thread to everyone if a post or whatever was deleted..

Would you please post in your current thread where I can find what you are referring to?

Thanks,

Carolyn

Rajun Gardener June 1, 2018 11:22 AM

This was it.

[url]http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?p=702214#post702214[/url]

Worth1 June 1, 2018 11:29 AM

I clicked on that link and it said I didn't have permission to look at it.

carolyn137 June 1, 2018 11:35 AM

[QUOTE=Worth1;702495]I clicked on that link and it said I didn't have permission to look at it.[/QUOTE]

Same here Worth. No permission to read it and when a post or thread is deleted and as a Global Mod I can read what it was.

And I'm still waiting for Four Oaks to give me the link I was asking for,but nothing yet.

Carolyn

Rajun Gardener June 1, 2018 11:37 AM

That's the link, I got that from my history because I was following it some to see what the final thoughts were. I get the same thing when I clicked on it but that was the topic.

GrowingCoastal June 1, 2018 11:41 AM

A mystery

Worth1 June 1, 2018 11:49 AM

[QUOTE=Rajun Gardener;702498]That's the link, I got that from my history because I was following it some to see what the final thoughts were. I get the same thing when I clicked on it but that was the topic.[/QUOTE]

I remember the topic and I do know I have every year early blight.
I dont have to go to an expert some place in a lab to know this.
Normally I can just cut away the effect part and the plants outgrow it.
Plants that dont I wont grow again.
If it isn't early blight I dont care because I believe what I want to believe and it makes me happy.:))

mobiledynamics June 1, 2018 11:51 AM

Was that the thread with the Mary-Ju-Wanna tidbits. Maybe it was not a human mod but a auto-mod that moderated it ?

Anyhow, any of the MODS should have the ability on the backend to shed some light, if they choose.

Worth1 June 1, 2018 11:56 AM

No auto mod moderated anything on Mary Jay Wanny.
It has been discussed here many times on and off.:)

Worth

seaeagle June 1, 2018 12:17 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;702500]I remember the topic and I do know I have every year early blight.
I dont have to go to an expert some place in a lab to know this.
Normally I can just cut away the effect part and the plants outgrow it.
Plants that dont I wont grow again.
If it isn't early blight I dont care because I believe what I want to believe and it makes me happy.:))[/QUOTE]

Thank You. Yes the plants will outgrow it. They have for thousands of years without chemical intervention.

I put out tomato plants when the soil temp was 65 degrees and then we had a week long cloudy rainy spell and the plants caught something. Early blight or Septoria, doesn't matter. They outgrew it and are thriving now.

As usual I have to add that this may not work everywhere.:)

FourOaks June 1, 2018 12:25 PM

[QUOTE=carolyn137;702487]I just looked in the Forum for Garden Diseases and Pests , but don't see a thread that was deleted it would indicate in the thread to everyone if a post or whatever was deleted..

Would you please post in your current thread where I can find what you are referring to?

Thanks,

Carolyn[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?p=702376#post702376[/url]

Carolyn, this is the same topic from yesterday that you chimed in on. Which lead to you unloading on Marsha.

Do you not recall?

carolyn137 June 1, 2018 01:11 PM

[QUOTE=FourOaks;702511][url]http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?p=702376#post702376[/url]

Carolyn, this is the same topic from yesterday that you chimed in on. Which lead to you unloading on Marsha.

Do you not recall?[/QUOTE]

Again when I click on your link it says I have no permissions.

Yes, I got back to Marsha very strongly and posted why I did so. Did you read that and understand that if someone has something very negative to say about another person,you don't do it publicly,you PM the person privately.

And you may not have seen this but she got back to me in that same thread and apologized and said she had deleted her post. And of course that update from her was also sent to me at home as is true for anyone who posts in any given thread.

I did not delete the thread.Period. There is no auto-delete other than certain words some might use,which are not acceptable and the software does that automatically and is programmed to recognize those words ,thankfully.Period.

But I'm pretty sure I know how it did get deleted, and for that I am very thankful.

I'm also noting that when anyone registers here they have to accept what's called TOS( terms of service),which is part of the registration process. Most registering actually read it as part of the registration process,some others don't and pay the consequences when they do not adhere to TOS..

If anyone wants to see what they agreed to, there is a backup to TOS re registration if you go to the very bottom of the page and click on TOS which anyone can do, registered or not.

Carolyn

Worth1 June 1, 2018 01:31 PM

[QUOTE=seaeagle;702508]Thank You. Yes the plants will outgrow it. They have for thousands of years without chemical intervention.

I put out tomato plants when the soil temp was 65 degrees and then we had a week long cloudy rainy spell and the plants caught something. Early blight or Septoria, doesn't matter. They outgrew it and are thriving now.

As usual I have to add that this may not work everywhere.:)[/QUOTE]

It is out of my love for all things critter from spiders and lizards to even snakes.
My driveway is a miniature Jurassic park and I have to slow down in my truck to let the lizards get out of the way.
They have a cave they live in under it.
They even come out to drink when I water.:lol:
Been there for years.
Worth

Sherry_AK June 1, 2018 02:10 PM

[QUOTE=carolyn137;702519]
I'm also noting that when anyone registers here they have to accept what's called TOS( terms of service),which is part of the registration process. Most registering actually read it as part of the registration process,some others don't and pay the consequences when they do not adhere to TOS..
[/QUOTE]

Long ago I believe the TOS included language that TOS could be changed with notice to members. That wording was deleted (without notice to members as far as I know) some time ago. I do pop in a read TOS from time to time and notice changes. So, without actually reading TOS each time a person signs in to T'ville, one would not necessarily know the rules. That is one of the reasons I seldom post here any more. Also, disappearing threads disturb me. Just my opinion.

Sherry

Worth1 June 1, 2018 02:22 PM

[QUOTE=Sherry_AK;702527]Long ago I believe the TOS included language that TOS could be changed with notice to members. That wording was deleted (without notice to members as far as I know) some time ago. I do pop in a read TOS from time to time and notice changes. So, without actually reading TOS each time a person signs in to T'ville, one would not necessarily know the rules. That is one of the reasons I seldom post here any more. Also, disappearing threads disturb me. Just my opinion.

Sherry[/QUOTE]

Im just glad you are okay I often think about you and if you are okay.
Worth

mobiledynamics June 1, 2018 03:28 PM

I don't have a horse in this race as I don't have a history of that thread. Threads in all forums get deleted. It really depends on what level of moderation is deemed and accepted by both mods and the participating members. The members/content is what makes the forum ~the forum~. You can choose to stay or go, afterall, it's ~their forum~. 2 sides to each story I suppose

I've walked away from forums due to heavy handed moderation...but it's to one discretion whether or not it's acceptable to you. for example, I cook heavily. the mods on the chowhound forum are pretty heavy handed. Even when a manuf. is not upselling their brand but posting useful information, threads get deleted if the mod's sniff a manuf. rep posting. I still hang my hat there even though I feel the moderation is too biased.

Sherry_AK June 1, 2018 03:49 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;702530]Im just glad you are okay I often think about you and if you are okay.
Worth[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Worth. I still read your posts here, but as above, I've become more of a silent member. I appreciate your thoughts!

Sherry

carolyn137 June 1, 2018 04:33 PM

[QUOTE=Sherry_AK;702527]Long ago I believe the TOS included language that TOS could be changed with notice to members. That wording was deleted (without notice to members as far as I know) some time ago. I do pop in a read TOS from time to time and notice changes. So, without actually reading TOS each time a person signs in to T'ville, one would not necessarily know the rules. That is one of the reasons I seldom post here any more. Also, disappearing threads disturb me. Just my opinion.

Sherry[/QUOTE]

Sherry,you are absolutely correct that TOS could be changed without notice, this from TOS

(These guidelines are subject to change at any time without prior notification. We reserve the right to edit or delete posts at our discretion without prior notice or public explanation)

However, I just checked TOS at the bottom of the page and it's the same as it was as posted by Mischka in Feb, 2006.There were many times from the first day I was here that I had to check TOS,b/c I was new here and at no other place where I'd been a mod had I seen that and did so when dealing with specific problems here to be sure I was Ok with transmitting info to the person(s)involved.

A thread disappearing?

The mods of certain Forums have the ability to make some changes in the Forums where they are mods and any Global mods wouldn't know about it unless things go wrong and then Michael or myself or Mischka would be notified about it,usually via a PM/

As for disappearing threads only Mischka or [B]active [/B]Global mods can do that and that means either Michael or myself. And I would know about that as well.

So if you see any more disappearing threads please contact me and let me know about it.Or Michael or Mischka if you prefer.

Carolyn

carolyn137 June 1, 2018 04:45 PM

[QUOTE=mobiledynamics;702536]I don't have a horse in this race as I don't have a history of that thread. Threads in all forums get deleted. It really depends on what level of moderation is deemed and accepted by both mods and the participating members. The members/content is what makes the forum ~the forum~. You can choose to stay or go, afterall, it's ~their forum~. 2 sides to each story I suppose

I've walked away from forums due to heavy handed moderation...but it's to one discretion whether or not it's acceptable to you. for example, I cook heavily. the mods on the chowhound forum are pretty heavy handed. Even when a manuf. is not upselling their brand but posting useful information, threads get deleted if the mod's sniff a manuf. rep posting. I still hang my hat there even though I feel the moderation is too biased.[/QUOTE]

Barb is the mod who is in charge of the food and recipe Forums, I strongly suggest that you contact her about what you just wrote.

Or if you don't want to do that I can cut and paste what you wrote and send it to her and direct her towards your post here.

Please let me know which option above you feel most comfortable with.

Barb I've known for several decades and she also was a mod in a similar capacity at another message site where I was as well, but with two exceptions,I don't think anyone here now would even know which site. Barb and I left there at the same time when the site got nasty, as did the Webmaster, I still remember his name was Riley and he had had it as well.

Carolyn

mobiledynamics June 1, 2018 04:51 PM

Hi Carolyn -

I was referring to the forum on chowhound.com
I'm all good here @ tville.

Sherry_AK June 1, 2018 04:53 PM

Carolyn -- With all due respect, I believe in 2010 the TOS said "...with prior notification." It may have been a housekeeping matter to change a typographical error to say "without," but nevertheless, I believe that change was made. It was a significant change. If I am in error, I apologize.

This will be my last post on this subject. Thank you for your comments.

Sherry

mdvpc June 1, 2018 07:21 PM

One addition to Carolyn's comment on who the Global Mods are-me, Carolyn and Craig (NCTomatoman).

I have deleted comments and threads if they violate the TOS-most of the time, if not always, I have deleted comments and even a few whole threads from rudeness, commenting on politics or religion.

pmcgrady June 1, 2018 07:48 PM

Dang it! I always miss out, on the good dirt!

Well maybe not...

FourOaks June 1, 2018 08:13 PM

[QUOTE=mdvpc;702583]One addition to Carolyn's comment on who the Global Mods are-me, Carolyn and Craig (NCTomatoman).

I have deleted comments and threads if they violate the TOS-most of the time, if not always, I have deleted comments and even a few whole threads from rudeness, commenting on politics or religion.[/QUOTE]

Just to clarify, does that include when Mods hijack a thread? Just asking, cause THAT is what happened.

brownrexx June 1, 2018 08:39 PM

I agree that this thread had some excellent discussion and photos about Early Blight before two mods started bickering with each other. It had nothing to do with the subject matter of the thread and in my opinion the offending comments by the mods could have been easily deleted without losing the information and discussion in the entire thread.

None of this earlier material even came close to violating any TOS.

FourOaks June 1, 2018 09:30 PM

[QUOTE=brownrexx;702592]I agree that this thread had some excellent discussion and photos about Early Blight before two mods started bickering with each other. It had nothing to do with the subject matter of the thread and in my opinion the offending comments by the mods could have been easily deleted without losing the information and discussion in the entire thread.

None of this earlier material even came close to violating any TOS.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. But I would disagree with your comment that none of the material violated TOS. Since it was suggested that we take a gander at the TOS, lets do that. So that way we can have an honest discussion.

[quote]Do not post personal information about other members without their prior permission. (i.e. addresses, phone numbers, etc.) Respect their privacy.[/quote]Marsha possibly violated this. It was neither address or phone number, but something personal about Carolyn.

[quote]"Ranting" is prohibited. A rant is a post which is long-winded, redundant and filled with angry, non-constructive comments... blah blah blah [/quote]Carolyn certainly "ranted". It was long winded. Redundant. Angry... and 100% irrelevant.

But further more, I read a little more in the TOS, because remember we were encouraged to read the TOS.

[quote][B]Discussing or referencing banned members or vendors is not permitted. [/B][/quote]I find that "rule" laughable. Heres 3 stellar examples, of discussing banned members and/or vendors.

Good Mind Seeds [URL]http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=36069[/URL]

Pepper Joes [URL]http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=19958[/URL]

Atomic Grow [URL]http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=11663[/URL]

So, clearly the Mystical Oracle giveth and taketh at random.

Clay Mountain June 1, 2018 10:54 PM

I'm sorry your thread's gone. I came here looking for just that topic since something new just happened in my garden. I'm sure I'll find other relevant threads, but it's still a shame and must be very frustrating.

mdvpc June 2, 2018 09:40 AM

Four Oaks-I did not see the thread, so I can't comment on what a member or Mod did. I will tell you that threads get "hijacked" all the time. And, the owner of the site makes the rules and the TOS.

brownrexx June 2, 2018 09:42 AM

[QUOTE=FourOaks;702598]Thank you. But I would disagree with your comment that none of the material violated TOS. Since it was suggested that we take a gander at the TOS, lets do that. So that way we can have an honest discussion.

Marsha possibly violated this. It was neither address or phone number, but something personal about Carolyn.
Carolyn certainly "ranted". It was long winded. Redundant. Angry... and 100% irrelevant. /QUOTE]

I said none of the [B][U]Earlier[/U][/B] material pertaining to Early blight violated TOS and should not have been deleted.

The bickering at the end certainly violated TOS and should have been removed.