Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Dotson's Lebanese Heart Growout, 2017 (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44432)

Spartanburg123 April 26, 2017 07:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Nan-

No, this plant has enormous broad leaves! That's what makes it different than most heart varieties. The way it was explained to me, there is a gene responsible for fruit elongation, that also causes the leaves to be elongated, aka wispy. Whatever is causing the blunt heart shape, is not affecting the leaves. The plants looks virtually identical to an Omar's Lebanese.
Regarding seeds, yes, there are fewer seeds than normal, and the tomatoes are very meaty and dense.
Here is my most vigorous plant just this morning. This plant outran every other seedling from the get go, and is a monster!

Enjoy, and good luck!

Darin

Spartanburg123 April 27, 2017 08:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic from my garden today, 4-27-17. All of these were sowed on the same day! Look at the DLH brute front and left! The vigorous Terhune is on the right.

Spartanburg123 April 30, 2017 06:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Monster DLH front left center! 8 flowers, 3 fruit set so far :)

Spartanburg123 May 13, 2017 09:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pictures of DLH fruit, showing blunt heart morphology!

Gardeneer May 13, 2017 09:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Bad news !
My DLH looks diseased. The other 3 plants next to it are normal and healthy.
It also looks like Phosphorus deficiency. This is in addition to having sever leaf roll.

Picture one: DLH next to other plants

Picture two : The pattern of leaves are as shown in this picture.
There is hint of blue with dark spots. This is in the new growth.
This symptom is often associated with P deficiency.

I, will give it some more time. It already has half a dozen tomatoes.

Spartanburg123 May 13, 2017 10:17 PM

Noooo!!! Please go to Home Depot, and get Super Bloom from Scotts. It is very high in P, and will fix this problem. I use it on all my tomatoes early on to promote blooming and fruit setting.

Gardeneer- are the fruits that are setting blunt hearts?

Gardeneer May 13, 2017 10:37 PM

[QUOTE=Spartanburg123;639465]Noooo!!! Please go to Home Depot, and get Super Bloom from Scotts. It is very high in P, and will fix this problem. I use it on all my tomatoes early on to promote blooming and fruit setting.

Gardeneer- are the fruits that are setting blunt hearts?[/QUOTE]

I will try that. My soil test tells me that there is abundant of phosphorus.
But I have also fertilized with some that has P.

Fruits are not quite big enough to tell if they are blunt or other shape.

Spartanburg123 May 18, 2017 09:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Another DLH fruit showed up! So far, flowering has been good, but fruit set is slower than most of the other varieties in my garden (similar to Rebel Yell). Out of three plants, I currently have 4 fruit set.

Spartanburg123 May 24, 2017 01:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A few fruit from DLH today, 5-24-17. The largest one is approximately 8 oz at this point. Blunt heart morphology is consistent...

Nan_PA_6b May 24, 2017 06:28 PM

Nice looking hearts! I can't wait till my little guy gets that far!

Nan

Spartanburg123 May 25, 2017 09:52 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Pictures from today, 5-25-17. The stems on the "turbo" DLH are as big as my thumb, even at the top of the plant! Incredible growth!

imp May 25, 2017 10:45 AM

Goodness! Look at those stems! Hope you save seed separately from that one, even with it being a bit stingy so far ( and that can change) it's a monster!!!

Banadoura May 25, 2017 10:49 AM

Loving those pics Spartan!

My Foot Smells May 25, 2017 10:55 AM

very nice, esp. this early in the season. looks like you will be needing an extension pole to tie off to soon and a big ladder.

Nan_PA_6b May 25, 2017 10:55 AM

Gardeneer, is your plant still hanging in there, or.....:?:?

Nan