Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Dotson's Lebanese Heart Growout, 2017 (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44432)

Spartanburg123 May 25, 2017 12:58 PM

[QUOTE=imp;642269]Goodness! Look at those stems! Hope you save seed separately from that one, even with it being a bit stingy so far ( and that can change) it's a monster!!![/QUOTE]

Thanks Nan. It had very few flowers down low, so only 4 fruit have set. But there are at least 50 flowers midway up and at the top, so things could change very rapidly. I will bag a few blossoms and certainly keep seed. This thing just amazes me!

Spartanburg123 May 25, 2017 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks everyone. Foot Smells- you are right. I'm trying to decide what to do. I could trim the growth stems at the top and let it fill out below from suckering. I've also considered tying a string or wire at the top and letting the vines crawl along that. It is top heavy now, and it will only get worse. I'm worried about storms.
And this isn't the only large plant. Here is a pic from today to give a size comparison....

imp May 25, 2017 09:52 PM

You do have big 'uns, but that one is just sooooo big, LOL.

If I beg some seed from that one for next year, I'll plant it in front of my porch, where I have 20 to 25 feet for it to go up to!!

My Foot Smells May 26, 2017 09:41 AM

That one appears to be smothered with love - the secret ingredient.

kygreg May 29, 2017 01:06 PM

[QUOTE=Gardeneer;639476]I will try that. My soil test tells me that there is abundant of phosphorus.
But I have also fertilized with some that has P.

Fruits are not quite big enough to tell if they are blunt or other shape.[/QUOTE]

SomeSouthern States Co-op stores carry their own brand of 10-10-10 fertilizer with AVAIL which helps with Phospherus absorption.

Spartanburg123 May 30, 2017 07:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
1st DLH tomato rapidly approaching 1 lb. :)

Spartanburg123 June 1, 2017 06:04 PM

[QUOTE=kygreg;643424]SomeSouthern States Co-op stores carry their own brand of 10-10-10 fertilizer with AVAIL which helps with Phospherus absorption.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Greg! BTW, how are your DLH's doing? How many did you plant?

Thanks
Darin

Gardeneer June 1, 2017 09:46 PM

[QUOTE=kygreg;643424]SomeSouthern States Co-op stores carry their own brand of 10-10-10 fertilizer with AVAIL which helps with Phospherus absorption.[/QUOTE]
I went to a Feed N Seed place the other day about it.
The guy said "yes" we have them. Then we went to the warehouse.
What they had was a 10-10-10 that said on the label :

[B]Available[/B] Phosphorus >>>> 10%.
"Available" means that it is there and available for plants to uptake it.

SO I bough a 50 lbs bag for $12.50. and top dressed the garden.
Not a bad deal.

Spartanburg123 June 6, 2017 08:22 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Massive fruit set on large plant #1! We now have 25 tomatoes set. All three plants are producing blunt hearts. I am observing some nice fluting on some of them, and the largest fruit I have looks to be approaching 20 oz, and is the most blunt of all of the fruit so far. It probably has another week or more to grow!

Nan_PA_6b June 10, 2017 12:14 AM

My Dotson's has bitty blossom buds! It's growing about average in my garden these days, maybe a little taller than average, and has always been quite healthy.

It will be the first heart tomato I've ever tasted.

Nan

Spartanburg123 June 10, 2017 12:37 AM

[QUOTE=Nan_PA_6b;646137]My Dotson's has bitty blossom buds! It's growing about average in my garden these days, maybe a little taller than average, and has always been quite healthy.

It will be the first heart tomato I've ever tasted.

Nan[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear it!! I hope it does well for you! A few observations- it has small flowers! No megablooms to speak of, I do have a few that are doubles. But fruit set is delayed with this one- don't give up! On one plant- five days ago, I had 6 dormant blossoms just sitting there. Then yesterday, all 6 are swelling into fruit! Patience is required with this one!

Nan_PA_6b June 10, 2017 10:55 AM

Will do. Patience & a little blossom buzzing.

Nan

KarenO June 10, 2017 11:44 AM

I have 2 plants growing, a little behind my others as I had trouble germinating seeds for some reason. final tally was 2/10.
They are growing well now and plenty of time to catch up and fruit.
some heat would help, this is a tomato that likes it warm I think and we have been having pretty cool weather overall here on the island.

KarenO

Spartanburg123 June 10, 2017 11:33 PM

Karen- I agree and the parent plant OL is used to the heat of Lebanon!
��

Hoosier June 11, 2017 04:28 PM

[QUOTE=KarenO;646236]I have 2 plants growing, a little behind my others as I had trouble germinating seeds for some reason. final tally was 2/10.
They are growing well now and plenty of time to catch up and fruit.
some heat would help, this is a tomato that likes it warm I think and we have been having pretty cool weather overall here on the island.

KarenO[/QUOTE]Same here as far as germinating, 0 for 3. Hopefully I get a chance to try again sometime.