Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Eggplant aka Aubergine (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Iraqi eggplant a winner (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=38042)

ScottinAtlanta August 8, 2015 05:16 PM

Iraqi eggplant a winner

9 Attachment(s)
Iraq Eggplant Is On Top

Folks, here are several varieties of eggplants from my garden here in Atlanta this year. I am very pleased with the Iraq eggplant whose seeds that my friend Adil Alami عادل اللامي got for me in Baghdad - big, meaty, with a flat bottom that makes it easier to slice for the grill.

By contrast, the Kurdish eggplant is smaller and late. Who would have guessed that eggplants are political?

mdvpc August 8, 2015 05:47 PM

Scott-That is a nice looking eggplant. Only variety I am growing this summer is Kamo, our favorite. For some reason, my peppers and eggplants are way behind.

PhilaGardener August 8, 2015 09:07 PM

Those are amazing! Your plants look fabulous too. I fight battles with flea beetles over mine . . .

AdrianaG August 8, 2015 10:04 PM

Yum, I've been buying Dominican eggplant at the Buford Highway farmers market and love it. it is a pink variety with white striations.

ddsack August 8, 2015 10:22 PM

I love the different colors and shapes. Are you able to identify any flavor differences in any of them if grilled plain and not mixed with other vegetables?

pauldavid August 9, 2015 03:41 AM

Nice eggplants, Scott:)

peppero August 10, 2015 02:39 PM

Great looking eggplants Scott: thanks for posting.

jon:yes:

shelleybean August 10, 2015 02:49 PM

You have two of my favorite varieties--White Beauty and LLG. That's a lot of eggplant! What are you doing with it besides grilling it?

frdlturner August 10, 2015 06:03 PM

nice eggplant
never grown them are they hard or easy to grow

ScottinAtlanta August 10, 2015 06:38 PM

[QUOTE=frdlturner;498045]nice eggplant
never grown them are they hard or easy to grow[/QUOTE]

I would classify them as moderately easy, except that I find they are a little harder to germinate and plant out. They need a little more baby care - good watering and fertilizing until their roots get going. They are much easier in pots than in the ground, and all of the eggs shown are in pots except the White Beauty.

Cole_Robbie August 10, 2015 06:52 PM

Nice pics. Can you taste the difference in the different varieties?

luigiwu August 10, 2015 08:53 PM

Which one is most prolific?

ScottinAtlanta August 10, 2015 09:10 PM

Easily the Japanese Millionaire.

MuddyBuckets November 7, 2015 04:25 PM

Eggplant Seeds Wanted

I want to grow some eggplants in buckets next season and have a few questions. Can the eggplant be grown a 3.5 gallon bucket or a 5.0 gallon bucket? What is the preferred container media? Store bought or home brew mix?

If anyone has any extra seeds they could spare I would appreciate them. Prefer the following along with any starting/planting/growing/harvesting advice. I am in 7b in the North Carolina Piedmont.

Lavender Touch
Peng Tung
Rosa Bianca
Florida Market*
Listada de Gandia
Kamo
Italian White
Round Mauve
Japanese Millionaire

Successfully grew clemson spineless okra last season (4 plants/5 gallon bucket, top watering).

Thanks in advance, just PM me for an address. Have rooster spur, yellow ghost, mexibell, serrano pepper seeds and marmande tomato seeds to trade.

Cole_Robbie November 7, 2015 05:14 PM

I grew Ping Tung Long for the first time this past summer. I have some seeds.

When I grilled it, the purple fruit turned brown. Do they all do that? How does one cook other eggplant varieties to best showcase the original unusual color or shape?