Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Stick (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44645)

Spartanburg123 April 22, 2017 09:29 PM

Stick

1 Attachment(s)
I thought I'd start a thread dedicated to the runt of the litter- the unusual variety called "Stick". Anyone else growing it, please add pictures or comments here. I'm growing it for fun, and thanks to DDSack for the seeds! I'm wondering when I'll start to see flowers?

Gardeneer April 22, 2017 09:35 PM

Wow ! Is that a tomato plant ?
Looks so exotic to me.

Spartanburg123 April 22, 2017 09:41 PM

[QUOTE=Gardeneer;633719]Wow ! Is that a tomato plant ?
Looks so exotic to me.[/QUOTE]

It sure is- discovered in 1953, I believe. It is also called "Curl", as in leaf type. It only grows up, not out. The small pink fruit are said to have pretty good flavor, too. I hope ddsack posts some better pictures of her previous growouts :)

Gardeneer- I'll save you some seeds if you're interested!

Thanks

Darin

BigVanVader April 22, 2017 10:06 PM

I have seeds but never grew it. To ugly for me to want to look at all the time :lol:

Spartanburg123 April 22, 2017 10:11 PM

[QUOTE=BigVanVader;633736]I have seeds but never grew it. To ugly for me to want to look at all the time :lol:[/QUOTE]

Easy now! She's sensitive!!!!:yes:

SteveP April 22, 2017 10:24 PM

Around here they would have named it Family Tree.

It is definately different and I don't blame you for trying it.

Deborah April 22, 2017 10:30 PM

I like it! I hope you post pictures when she has tomatoes to show us.

Spartanburg123 April 22, 2017 10:34 PM

I most certainly will! From my reading, they get about 6 feet tall, and can simply be wound around a stick "topiary" style. I think it's an elegant little plant, honestly :)

Deborah April 22, 2017 11:19 PM

I Googled to see what a plant with tomatoes looks like but all that came up is staking tomatoes. I found a stick eggplant though. Ornamental.

Spartanburg123 April 22, 2017 11:30 PM

[QUOTE=Deborah;633760]I Googled to see what a plant with tomatoes looks like but all that came up is staking tomatoes. I found a stick eggplant though. Ornamental.[/QUOTE]

Deborah- here's a good thread on "Stick" and has some good pics of the fruit :)

[url]http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=14729&highlight=stick[/url]

Gardeneer April 22, 2017 11:34 PM

[QUOTE=Spartanburg123;633722]It sure is- discovered in 1953, I believe. It is also called "Curl", as in leaf type. It only grows up, not out. The small pink fruit are said to have pretty good flavor, too. I hope ddsack posts some better pictures of her previous growouts :)

Gardeneer- I'll save you some seeds if you're interested!

Thanks

Darin[/QUOTE]
It is not so much for the fruits, production, taste. I would just grow it for its ornamental features. I do go grow several peppers for the same reason.
Take Chinese 5 color, eg. It has purple flowers, semi purple foliage, the fruits get 5 colors from start to end. The pods are edible too.
I am also growing Silvery Fir Tree tomato mostly for its unusual foliage (carrot-like leaves), in a short determinant shape.

Deborah April 22, 2017 11:56 PM

Thanks! It's so interesting looking. Even if the flavor isn't all that great it'd still be fine in salad, and I always plop the not-so-greats in chili. If I could grow one I would for the fun of it. But I have a small balcony with my Big Beef, unknowns from a store tomato, strawberries, herbs and flowers. In my whole life, I have never planted anything in the ground or even in raised beds but I can dream...

AKmark April 22, 2017 11:58 PM

I grew it, and I would say it is a conversation piece, that's about it.

Deborah April 23, 2017 12:03 AM

Mark, was it grocery store-ish?

AKmark April 23, 2017 12:16 AM

[QUOTE=Deborah;633774]Mark, was it grocery store-ish?[/QUOTE]

It had a different type of taste than I am used too, but it was not bland.