Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   2014 GROW LIST (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=31382)

DAC596 March 4, 2014 01:42 PM

2014 GROW LIST

Just started my peppers on Sunday. Will start tomatoes in three weeks.

Aji Amarillo
Keriting (long Cayenne from Indonesia)
Santa Fe Grande
Golden Treasure (sweet)

Tomatoes:
Criole
Large Cherry

I grow these in pots on my deck.;)

drew51 March 4, 2014 10:55 PM

I grow in ground and in pots, will we ever get them outside this year? My peppers are sprouting now. I have way too many. I'm going to have to find spots for them!

- Drew in Sterling Heights

DAC596 March 5, 2014 01:02 PM

[QUOTE=drew51;395740]I grow in ground and in pots, will we ever get them outside this year? My peppers are sprouting now. I have way too many. I'm going to have to find spots for them!

- Drew in Sterling Heights[/QUOTE]
ya I've got cabin fever bad.

aconite March 6, 2014 03:12 AM

have you grown santa fe grande already? i'm growing them for the first time this year, wondering what to expect

BucksCountyGirl March 6, 2014 12:05 PM

Your list looks good, DAC. I grew Santa Fe a few years ago and loved it!
I am starting mostly "new to me peppers" this year.
All of the below varieties will join the Lemon Drop I overwintered in my kitchen window. Cheers!

[B]Sweet[/B]
Zolotistyi
Shish*to
Jimmy Nardello

[B]Hot[/B]
Aji Omnicolor
Dedo de Moca
Jaloro
Fish Pepper
Cheiro Roxa

BucksCountyGirl March 6, 2014 12:07 PM

*Duplicate Post*

DAC596 March 6, 2014 02:04 PM

No, my first time also. I always grow a "mild" pepper every year.

Fiishergurl March 17, 2014 09:46 PM

I just ate Shi★★★★o peppers for the first time in a Yakatori style restaurant.... YUMMMMMMMY!

Ginny

[QUOTE=BucksCountyGirl;396100]Your list looks good, DAC. I grew Santa Fe a few years ago and loved it!
I am starting mostly "new to me peppers" this year.
All of the below varieties will join the Lemon Drop I overwintered in my kitchen window. Cheers!

[B]Sweet[/B]
Zolotistyi
Shish*to
Jimmy Nardello

[B]Hot[/B]
Aji Omnicolor
Dedo de Moca
Jaloro
Fish Pepper
Cheiro Roxa[/QUOTE]

KarenO March 17, 2014 10:27 PM

I have more space this year so will be able to grow a few more. Here in Zone 3a I have determined that my peppers do better in the greenhouse so they will stay in there in pots for the whole season.
Jalapeño Jalapa (hybrid)
Picante di cayenne
Fish
Aji Amarillo
crimson hot
De Bresse
Corno di toro (red)
slonovo uvo
Siberskiy knyaz
Jimmy Nardello
Keystone
I use 2 gallon pots with small tomato cages for my greenhouse peppers, they seem to do OK with that.
Wishing you all a great season this year!

newatthiskat March 17, 2014 11:09 PM

I am growing more kinds than usual

Sweet
Orange Blaze Bell
Red Bell
Early Red Bell
Sweet banana
Red marconi

Very mild
Fooled You Pepper

Hot
Poblano
Jalapeno
Sorrono
Habaneros
Red Congo Trinadad Hab
Orange Thi
Peter Pepper
Ghost Pepper

Father'sDaughter March 18, 2014 08:49 AM

Great lists! I've got a few new-to-me varieties planned along with some I've grown every year.

Sweet peppers will be in-ground:

Elephant Ear
*Dolce Rosso d'Appendere

And the hots will be in five gallon grow bags:

*Red Cayenne
*Calabrese
*Topeppo
*Lemon Drop
*West Allis Half Sharp
Capperino (F1)
Pepperoncini
Yellow Cayenne
Scotch Bonnet
Big Jim NuMex
Red Cheese

*repeats

I was resistant to hybrids (personal choice and wanting to save seeds), but am looking for a productive hot cherry for stuffing and pickling. While the Calabrese peppers fit the bill quite nicely, they can be stingy and very late on production. I'm lucky if I get five quarts from two plants. That's how Capperino from Johnny's Select Seeds landed on my list.

I have two Capperino plants that I started back in December just to check germination. I couldn't bear to toss them, so I stuck them in pots, then potted them up into 4.5" square by 6" deep pots in early February. They are now stocky, very dense, and completely loaded with flower buds! I moved them up from the basement the other day to give them a warmer environment, and they are starting to bloom. I did start two more that will go out to the garden, but I think I'll see what these two do as indoor plants.

HoosierDaddy March 26, 2014 09:53 AM

2011 My Hot PepperGrow List

My started pepper list is:

Mild:
Fooled You Jalapeno

Hot:
Bhute Jolokia (Ghost Pepper) Started 1/25. For my zone 5 I have to use water walls in late May to keep this touchy plant and ground warm at night. And even then I don't get ripe peppers until late Sept. It a battle here to see what comes first, ripe Ghost Peppers or frost.
Caribbean Red habanero
Golden Cayenne (Trial, new to me) Curious if this is the same as Ho Chi Minh.
Ho Chi Minh
Jalapeno M
Lemon Drop (Trial, new to me)
Serrano

suvoth March 31, 2014 08:39 AM

My peppers:

King of the North

Tomatoes

Cherokee Purple
Caspian Pink
Sweeties

...that is all lol Can't wait to see how all this growing stuff works. Year one for me so next year I'll try a few more based on what I read here in forums :D

drew51 March 31, 2014 10:25 AM

Suvoth,
Wow, a normal person! Hey that's great! 3 tomatoes isn't bad. Good luck!
I like to grow a few more, just in case some don't make it. Last year I lost 5 to an unexpected freeze.

suvoth March 31, 2014 10:52 AM

Yeah, thought i'd try a few of each. I'm thinking 2 of each plant (but planting 2 more of each plants to give to my parents :) ) I guess I'll see how it all goes for the both of us :D Best of luck! lol