Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   My Mountain Garden (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=49272)

TomNJ June 14, 2019 09:41 AM

My Mountain Garden

5 Attachment(s)
Here are a few photos of my 50'x50' veggie garden in the Blue Ridge Mountains of southwest Virginia (Floyd). All is progressing well so far. Next up will be garlic harvest starting in a couple of weeks. The heavy grass clipping mulch is doing a great job of suppressing weeds and retaining moisture.

Plantings are tomatoes (24), garlic (475), onions (450), sweet peppers (7), hot peppers (7), eggplant (6), basil (10), oregano (15'), corn (132), potatoes (22'), beets (11'), parsnips (11'), green beans (11'), plus a spattering of squash, lettuce, spinach, pea pods, cucumbers, and asparagus. A groundhog got the broccoli and cauliflower (and I got the groundhog!).

wildcat62 June 14, 2019 09:48 AM

Awesome garden Tom. You have quite a view there. How thick does the grass clippings need to be to suppress the weeds?

bower June 14, 2019 10:48 AM

Tom, I love to see pics of your place, it is stunningly beautiful. Between the smokin mountain view and the bountiful garden, a treat for the eyes. :)

Mr Tickle June 14, 2019 03:12 PM

What a beautiful place. Your garden looks wonderful too.
Do you ever have problems with wind up there?

Medbury Gardens June 14, 2019 04:12 PM

Stunning view. If I were to use grass clippings the black birds would flick it every where.:x

TomNJ June 14, 2019 05:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I lay down about 2-3" of fresh grass clippings, which then compact to about 1-2". Some weeds get through but most don't. When the garden is done I rototill to remaining grass clippings under.

Being on a ridge facing south at 2,600 feet we do get some wind but not enough to do damage to the garden. It is a little cooler and drier up here than down mountain, and no mosquitos! :dance:

Then of course there is the view on those misty mornings from the front porch!

oakley June 14, 2019 05:07 PM

Gorgeous. We are at 1,900 ft and what a difference it makes in wind and less bugs. Same
misty mornings. Heavenly.
Your posts always give a true sense of contentment deserved.

Mr Tickle June 14, 2019 05:07 PM

Absolutely stunning!

Barb_FL June 14, 2019 05:12 PM

Beautiful pictures and garden too.

Do you have to water it or just rely on rain?

wildcat62 June 14, 2019 05:12 PM

Beautiful...

bower June 14, 2019 05:56 PM

Misty mornings are amazing!! 8-) I appreciate a breezy place myself. :roll: We do have a few mosquitoes but blackflies are the worst - luckily their season only lasts about two weeks - the wind seems to blow them away and then they're done for the year.

Worth1 June 14, 2019 06:25 PM

Speechless as usual with your place Tom.
Fantastic job and place.
I miss the mountains so much.:(

friedgreen51 June 14, 2019 09:46 PM

Mountain Garden

Tom,
We love your home and garden. Floyd is a great little town. We come up and camp almost every year and go to the Floyd Country Store on Friday and Saturday nights for some great traditional mountain music.
Deborah

DonDuck June 15, 2019 12:14 AM

It was hard for me to notice your garden. All I can see is the perfect place to park a rocking chair and enjoy the view.

GoDawgs June 15, 2019 08:02 AM

So beautiful, Ted. A wonderful garden and a stunning mountain view from a perfectly positioned porch. And they sing about W VA being "almost heaven". They've got nothing on your place!