Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   My Paul Robeson Seeds fFom Last Year (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=40598)

ginger2778 April 8, 2016 10:43 PM

My Paul Robeson Seeds From Last Year

Another Tviller got seeds of Paul Robeson from my offer last year, and has informed me that 75% were PL. I got my seeds from SSE. My 3 seeds sown were all regular leaf. If that was an F1 growout of a cross of Paul Robeson and a PL, then the F2 seeds I unwittingly gave out would show 25% PL, rather than 75%. So I suspect a seed mixup, either by me, or even the person growing them now.

So please can you tell me what your leaf type from my given out seeds is/was?

Ricky Shaw April 8, 2016 11:06 PM

Of all the varieties, in all the gardens, it had to be Paul Robeson. In Cole Robbie's offer I got Paul Robeson, testing it this past Winter it came 3 of 3 as potato leaf. I germinated and grew three more, again potato leaf, I passed the info on to Cole Robbie.

How that could tie-in , or whether it's all coincidence, I have no idea.

Cole_Robbie April 8, 2016 11:39 PM

I think my seeds came from a seed swap last year. I don't remember which one. I think I have plants going in the greenhouse of it. I have to find them. I still have a lot of the seed. I can start a bunch now just to pay closer attention. Gerardo got PR from me. We both liked it, whatever it is.

AKmark April 9, 2016 12:59 AM

I am no expert on tomato genetics, but I found such ratios when there was an unstable RL parent that has PL on one side, then that plant crossed to a PL plant throws some surprises. I did a few of these threeway crosses, and I did get quite the mix in the final cross, more PL than I expected, I expected 0 to be honest.
Anyway, it will be fun tasting the combinations, and one thing for sure, Paul Robeson is a great tomato

Ricky Shaw April 9, 2016 03:21 PM

Natural Product: May contain stems and stones.

Cole_Robbie April 9, 2016 05:52 PM

OK, I found two six-packs of plants in the greenhouse. One plant in each six-pack was RL. The other five are PL.

Does a trait showing up in 1 out of 6 plants reflect an accidental cross on my part? Or did I get crossed seeds in the first place? Are all the RLs and PLs going to be the same, or will there be variation between them?

AKmark April 9, 2016 06:45 PM

Cole, if you had a cross with a PL X RL all of the F1 will be RL

Ricky Shaw April 9, 2016 06:52 PM

Sadly, I didn't grow this cross in favor of Cole Robbie's, Chapman. If this turns out to be the bad mamma jamma of crosses, I've at least got seed remaining.

ginger2778 April 9, 2016 06:55 PM

Cole, I think you got an unstable cross, but not F1. More like F4 or 5. Most are segregating as PL, with a few still having RL genes. RL is dominant over PL, so your regular leafed plants may have either 2 genes for RL, or 1 gene of each. Either way, they will show RL.

The PL ones have nothing to donate but PL genes, so they are completely stable for PL traits now. The RL may still segregate to give both.

I am really hoping someone I donated seeds to last year can tell me their results as to leaf form.

Cole_Robbie April 9, 2016 07:28 PM

I wish I could remember the leaf pattern of the plant I grew last year, but I don't.

So my RL plants are the real Paul Robeson? What should I expect out of the PL plants? I need to ask Gerardo what he got; I know he grew my seeds out and we thought he had the real Paul Robeson. Do you think the PL seedlings could just be Paul Robeson PL? As in the same fruit, just different leaf pattern?

edit: from the pic, it looks like Gerardo ended up with the RL variant: [url]http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost.php?p=507373&postcount=1[/url]

So the RL looks like the real thing. I wonder what the PL will be.

Ricky Shaw April 9, 2016 08:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
On the left at 28 days. On the right was also Paul Robeson, a different source, both were strong seedlings.

LindaB April 9, 2016 08:27 PM

I got my "Paul Robeson" seeds from Cole_Robbie this year. I have five plants growing and they are all PL. Does that mean they are [I]not[/I] actual Paul Robeson? I guess I'll just have to wait and see what comes of them.

Ricky Shaw April 9, 2016 09:01 PM

Names:

Cole Robbie Sons

or

Robo Cole

Cole_Robbie April 9, 2016 09:04 PM

lol

I like Paul Robbie.

Al@NC April 9, 2016 09:10 PM

Ginger, I received your PR seeds from '15 and out of 3 seedlings, all 3 are RL, so it's probably just Paul Robbie and not Ginger Robeson!

Al