Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Edibles (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Fennel (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=50011)

MuddyBuckets February 8, 2020 04:03 PM

Fennel

Anyone growing fennel? Would like to try them in 5 gallon buckets and a raised bed. Advice welcomed and seeds wanted for trade.

Tonio February 12, 2020 11:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just starting, guess my area is best for fall harvest scheme.. but what the hey give it try.
sown in Burpee 36 cells self watering starter set on heat pad 1/12/20 popped up 1/16/19.Cotyledons are long- about 3-4 inches8-)

Transplanted to 2.5" pot w / happy frog mix 1/24/20, currently about 6" tall. Time to harden off me thinks

MuddyBuckets February 15, 2020 07:50 PM

Tonio
Very impressive. Did you pre-germinate or direct sow the seeds? What is your next pot up or do you plant directly into the garden now?

imp February 15, 2020 09:33 PM

I have heard but do not know this first hand, that fennel and tomatoes do not like growing close together in the ground.

MuddyBuckets February 15, 2020 10:04 PM

Soaking some grocery store bought fennel seeds to see if any germinate. Anyone else tried this method?

Tonio February 16, 2020 10:16 PM

[QUOTE=imp;753453]I have heard but do not know this first hand, that fennel and tomatoes do not like growing close together in the ground.[/QUOTE]
I plan to have the Fennel all by itself based on similar information.
Ive been reading about Fennel, and appears plants do not like Fennel, besides Dill.
Not to mention it requires constant moist soil- bordering on being a cool weather crop, I'll put in a northern positioned spot near an old tree had been cut down due to its short lifespan. The soil appears nice and dark/fertile with worms and fungi. Dug in the spot with compost and some ferts.....
I'll use some rover cover or chicken wire to keep squirrels at bay ( hopefully:twisted:)

Tonio February 16, 2020 10:22 PM

[QUOTE=MuddyBuckets;753448]Tonio
Very impressive. Did you pre-germinate or direct sow the seeds? What is your next pot up or do you plant directly into the garden now?[/QUOTE]

MB,

sown in Burpee 36 cells self watering starter set on heat pad

Black Krim February 24, 2020 02:30 PM

Just pulled out pkt of fennel seed, unopened from 2019. Chickened out last year. Pkt says sow after heavy frosts.....totally lost on when to sow indoors for transplant. Suggestions ? Date of last frost is about May 5. (Plan to put it under fleece).

Tonio February 25, 2020 12:00 AM

I transplanted them yesterday, from germination ....41 days They have 4 leaf" frond" sets. Was planning on up - potting to 3" deep " cup size" containers, but glad I didn't. Seems its just more shock , and they appear to have a deep tap root.

Immediately everything just doubled in size- fronds & height. Need to take a picky .. :yes: