Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Gardening in the Green™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Freshwater Seaweed? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=6013)

neoguy July 23, 2007 11:57 AM

Freshwater Seaweed?

I've tried to find the answer on the web without success. So, I turn to the experts here.

Does freshwater seaweed offer similar garden benefits as saltwater seaweed:?:

I live near one of the Great Lakes and I thought about getting some to make tea. I don't know if it's legal to gather it up, but if the benefits are similar to saltwater seaweed, I would take the chance.

amideutch July 23, 2007 02:39 PM

neoguy, I don't see why it wouldn't be good. Sounds like a test is in order. You might want to check with your state Fish and Wildlife folks about gathering it. You might need a license or permit to do so. Ami

tomatoaddict July 23, 2007 05:44 PM

Neo,
If you're going to the lake to gather Seaweed, I want to go too!!!8) Seriously, I never thought about Erie seaweed, but why not...

neoguy July 23, 2007 06:51 PM

Tomatoaddict, yep, I'm going on scouting mission sometime this week. I'll probably start at Edgewater beach, I'll just walk around to see what seaweed could be harvested. There are a few other beaches 20-30 minutes in either direction.

And, no, northeast Ohio is NOT a beach paradise, so all you tourist, STAY AWAY:shock: I don't want to ruin a good thing:shock: :shock:

I think I'm delusional. HELP:!: The north coast a tourist haven:?: Really:?: Someone bring the straight jacket for this guy:shock: :shock: :shock:

Seriously, Tomatoaddict, Terry, I believe, if you'd like to go seaweed hunting with me, it would be my pleasure. I don't know how to provide emails in these forums, I'm still a greenie here. Let me know.

neoguy July 23, 2007 07:04 PM

Ami, thanks, good idea, I don't want to get handcuffed and miss the rest of the growing season! It is so short here!

tomatoaddict July 23, 2007 09:00 PM

Ami, I think they would actually pay us to haul the stuff away for them.:lol:
Neo, my e-mail is [email]Rasogang@aol.com[/email]
Let me know what days you are going and maybe I can scout with you. I love meeting fellow Tomatovillians.:mrgreen:
I will be so happy if we were able to get alot of it. Our tomatoes would be fabulous next year!!!
Terry

Thomas July 24, 2007 07:17 PM

I here that Erie seaweed will make your maters look like Bengals helmets:lol: :arrow:

neoguy July 25, 2007 11:17 AM

LOL, it'll be a spitter for sure:D

I hear there are toms growing along the river that have prison stripes:shock:

Just kidding:D

Thomas July 29, 2007 11:07 AM

Did I set myself up there or what? :lol:

tomatoaddict July 30, 2007 12:58 PM

Hey Thomas,
I see that you're a decorative concrete contractor; how hard is it to get concrete statues?

Thomas July 30, 2007 09:53 PM

Well....that is a good question..I guess it would depend on the size..What are you looking for?

amideutch July 31, 2007 02:12 AM

Neoguy, so what were the results of your seaweed scouting expedition? Ami

neoguy July 31, 2007 08:40 AM

Ami, I went to one beach so far, I was disappointed to see very little green stuff, seaweed or algae. Hardly worth the effort. They must clean the beaches for the swimmers. I'll look around for more remote areas not designated for swimming. And, I'll go back to the original beach after the swimming season, to see if there is enough to gather.

Haven't found out about the legal issues yet.

felpec July 31, 2007 01:51 PM

We harvested what we thought was freshwater seaweed from the lake across the street. Turns out it was the incredibly invasive Eurasian watermilfoil, and five years later, it still has not completely broken down in the compost pile.

I was thinking of sending a sample to NASA so they could use it for space shuttle parts...this stuff is indestructible :roll:

tomatoaddict July 31, 2007 08:40 PM

Thomas,
I want to find one of those huge angels that are like 12 ft. tall that I see some people have lit up in their yards. Just don't know where to find them.