Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Seed & Plant Sources (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Correction for Baker Creek Catalog (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=22177)

Mudman April 5, 2012 08:36 AM

Correction for Baker Creek Catalog

Was just looking at catalogs and saw this in the BC catalog so I thought I would correct it for anyone with seeds. They have a tomato listed as Hillbilly or Flame. These are two different tomatoes. In the picture it looks a lot more red than any other pictures of Hillbilly that I have seen so I would assume the seeds are actually Flame, aka Old Flame, aka Olympic Flame.

Also, Isis Candy is listed as Determinate. All the grow out notes at the TomatoBase list it as Indeterminate.

carolyn137 April 5, 2012 08:45 AM

[QUOTE=Mudman;266377]Was just looking at catalogs and saw this in the BC catalog so I thought I would correct it for anyone with seeds. They have a tomato listed as Hillbilly or Flame. These are two different tomatoes. In the picture it looks a lot more red than any other pictures of Hillbilly that I have seen so I would assume the seeds are actually Flame, aka Old Flame, aka Olympic Flame.

Also, Isis Candy is listed as Determinate. All the grow out notes at the TomatoBase list it as Indeterminate.[/QUOTE]

And I've posted many times here about what you just wrote, saying that I don't know who first added the word Flame to Hillbilly, they are NOT the same, and going through in GREAT detail the progression from Shepherd's seeds offering Olympic Flame and the Olympic Comm saying they couldn't do that so they changed that to Old Flame and that kind of morphed into just Flame.

So thanks for posting what I've written here many times before about this situation b/c there are so many new folks here that I'm sure they haven't read any of my posts about this situation.

There are quite a few errors in the Baker Creek tomato listings. At one point I gave feedback as others were also asked to do in a special place at BC, but I never heard back on any that I reviewed as to changing the descriptions/correcting them.

Mudman April 5, 2012 08:54 AM

[QUOTE=carolyn137;266379]

So thanks for posting what I've written here many times before about this situation b/c there are so many new folks here that I'm sure they haven't read any of my posts about this situation.

[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info. If I hadn't read what you had written I wouldn't have known.

tjg911 April 6, 2012 12:13 PM

see that isn't a problem for me because i wouldn't buy anything from bc because i don't support people like jere. :no:

tom

brokenbar April 6, 2012 02:30 PM

Baker Creek has "Mushroom Hat" listed as "determinate" but I grew it out and it was anything but. Carolyn says Tania has it listed as "indeterminate". I did email BC months back but had no reply.

rockhound April 6, 2012 03:00 PM

BC is in an expansion phase of their business. Too bad but I think they have lost sight of their original goals. Now it's about getting bigger I'm afraid, not better.

vegetal87 April 6, 2012 04:08 PM

oh my god no, baker creek is one of my favorite seeds supplier.

I see on this page the best tomato vendors but where do you buy all others vegetables ?

PaddyMc April 8, 2012 11:29 PM

[QUOTE=tjg911;266682]see that isn't a problem for me because i wouldn't buy anything from bc because i don't support people like jere. :no:

tom[/QUOTE]

What's wrong with Jere? Don't know much about him, but have had great experiences with BC.

tjg911 April 9, 2012 09:30 PM

[QUOTE=PaddyMc;267211]What's wrong with Jere? Don't know much about him, but have had great experiences with BC.[/QUOTE]

for me it's personal. the guy always rubbed me the wrong way, maybe i don't like adults that dress up like a 10 year old and pose in cowboy attire. his catalog made some political comments that added fuel to the fire. however, if you really want to know why i think he is to be avoided like the plague read this thread [URL]http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=16386[/URL]

i don't know, maybe it's just me but....:no:

tom

Tracydr April 10, 2012 12:14 AM

As a retired, disabled military doctor, I'm going to have to think twice about buying something from Baker Creek again.

Mudman April 10, 2012 12:44 AM

I knew things were a bit fishy over there. I am glad I never ordered from them, but I will continue to enjoy the glossy pictures at their expense.

Hastings April 10, 2012 12:54 AM

I apologize if I steer this thread in a different different direction than it's origional course, but I've seen Jere's catalog and been overly impressed compared to others (full page color pictures), but I've also seen how politically involved he appears to be. It's so easy for media to sway the public with how they present the information and I want to make sure that I am accurately informed and I want to make my own decision based on all of the availale information (not just the information thrown in my face). He makes it very clear that he is against any Monsanto, but I would appreciate any unbiased information. I am purely interestered in biodynmic, sustainable, organic methods for my gardening practices. So, I would like to support those who are invested in those interests and practices as well.:yes:

tomakers April 10, 2012 07:34 AM

[QUOTE=tjg911;267435]for me it's personal. the guy always rubbed me the wrong way, maybe i don't like adults that dress up like a 10 year old and pose in cowboy attire. his catalog made some political comments that added fuel to the fire. however, if you really want to know why i think he is to be avoided like the plague read this thread [URL]http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=16386[/URL]

i don't know, maybe it's just me but....:no:

tom[/QUOTE]

It's not just you.

Tom

Keiththibodeaux April 10, 2012 05:22 PM

I am so used to hearing "everyone's" political opinions nowadays, on both sides, I didn't even notice. But I respect his right to his opinion, and to other's rights to go elsewhere for seeds. As for me, I will buy seeds based on the price and the quality of seed rather than the vendors political beliefs. I also believe the ballot box is the right place to make a political statement.

Mudman April 10, 2012 05:44 PM

Let's take a U-turn. I just wanted to make sure anyone with these seeds knew what they were getting. That's all.