Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Legumes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Black Eyed Peas (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=4614)

shelleybean March 21, 2007 04:59 PM

Black Eyed Peas

Does anyone have experience growing black eyed peas? I am considering growing Queen Anne which is supposed to be a compact plant without runners. But how compact is compact? And does anybody have any good recipe ideas for black eyed peas? Thanks!

shelleybean March 21, 2007 05:14 PM

I should have said I'm really having troulbe finding ways to use [I]fresh[/I] black eyed peas. I can always find a lot of recipes for dried ones. Thanks. ;)

Miss_Mudcat March 24, 2007 10:13 PM

Hi Michele,

I've grown black-eyed peas most every year, and my parents and grandparents always grew them too (of course that was in Mississippi, but I've grown them in Alabama, Wisconsin and Indiana). We use them fresh or freeze them. My favorite for taste is Pink Eye Purple Hull, but they are really small and it takes a lot to make a meal. I'll be trying Mississippi Silver this year.

I just shell them, put them in a pot with just enough water to cover, season with salt and a bit of bacon grease and boil until tender. I also throw whole okra in there when I have them.... YUM!

Black-eyed peas are pretty compact, and can be planted close together. They are great for your soil!

Lisa

shelleybean March 25, 2007 06:50 AM

Thanks, Lisa. That's pretty much what I thought about cooking them. Kind of like you'd cook greens but not as long. Let me know how you like the Miss. Silver.

Rena March 25, 2007 07:14 AM

I agree with Lisa! I do not have the room for peas but I do go down to the Farmer's Market when the farmers are bringing them in and get a few bushels. They shell them for extra. I also boil until tender and add smoke ham or a ham hock with some season salt. My fil who passed at 94 last year always put green tomato relish in his, but he was from Lower Alabama. I love them! I also add a good bit of peas to my veggie soups.

shelleybean March 25, 2007 08:16 AM

So after shelling, do you think I'd be able to get a decent amount from only eight feet of row? I went with Queen Anne, which is supposed to be ready pretty much all at once.

Miss_Mudcat March 25, 2007 09:00 AM

Shelly, If you can spare the space, I'd recommend at least 2 rows (and don't plant double rows as with sweet peas because it will reduce the yields).

Hi IMISSCOLO - we add "chow chow" (a cabbage relish) or squash relish to ours - not during cooking but on top of or on the side... in fact, we had black-eyed peas with relish for dinner yesterday from our stash in the freezer. The supply is gettin' low! :(

Lisa

shelleybean March 25, 2007 09:12 AM

Thanks, Lisa. How much space do you allow between rows? I was going to go for 18 inches apart but will go closer if possible.

Miss_Mudcat March 25, 2007 01:10 PM

Michele,
As for space between rows, I'd try to follow the distance recommended for the variety because that does vary. (I cultivate with a tiller, so I use about 24" between most of my row crops.) As for spacing in the row, 4-6" is what I traditionally follow.

I hope they do well for you. Is it bean plantin' time already in Virginny? :)

Lisa

shelleybean March 25, 2007 01:53 PM

Not quite time for these yet, Lisa. So far I just have sugar snap peas out. I'll wait and plant these at the end of April when My lettuce comes out. Thanks for your help!

creister May 7, 2007 04:23 PM

Has anyone ever tried Red Ripper? It's supposed to be a vining type. I have 4 ft pea fences, but wonder if I should put some bamboo poles for more height? Also growing a variety called papago. I have grown pink eye purple hull and california #5. I really like the peph. Easy to know when to pick. My wife just cooks them with salt pork until tender. We like to put Pace picante on them. How long do you put the okra in for? That sounds like it would be really good.

Earl May 7, 2007 09:14 PM

Next time you cook them add a bit of hickory smoked salt. Link below leads to good artical on field peas.
[URL]http://sarasota.extension.ufl.edu/FCS/FlaFoodFare/SouthPea.htm[/URL]

oldgaredneck May 7, 2007 09:55 PM

and they are REALLY good with a chunk of cornbread.....
Dang - now I gave myself the munchies.....!

TomatoDon May 13, 2007 03:15 AM

MissMudCat is from the best pea growing state! Makes me hungry just reading all this.

I'm in MS, and just can't grow them because of the deer. Used to grow them mixed with other things, acres of them, for wildlife plots, but the deer can wipe them out over night in a small garden. We have so many growers here, and you can get them fresh and shelled and bagged, and I can't tell the difference between those and what I have grown. They are just too cheap and easy to buy here, and so hard to keep the deer out of them if you grow a small patch.

So...that's one thing that is store bought for me. But she's right, you can make a meal on peas and cornbread. Add some tomatoes in July, and you can't beat it for a good country supper. And the more fatback in the pot the better!

Don

Miss_Mudcat May 16, 2007 10:40 AM

[quote=creister;57402]How long do you put the okra in for? That sounds like it would be really good.[/quote]

I put them in for the entire cooking time - yet I LOVE slick, slimey, boiled okra! :)

Lisa
Mississippi Mudcat