Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ XI - 2017 (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Norm, My Tomato Friend, Has Passed Away (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=9806)

remy November 23, 2008 09:34 PM

Norm, My Tomato Friend, Has Passed Away

Hi All,
Those of you that attended last year's party, and those of you who got Norm's Peach/Rouge D'Irak cross from me may be interested to know Norm lost his battle with cancer.:cry: His wife Marilyn who came to the party without him this year called to let me know.
For those of you who didn't know Norm, he was a very long time heirloom tomato grower born in 1928. He loved tomatoes! His garden was small but beautiful. He collected seeds from his trips around the world. He loved to travel. I envied that he had gone to Machu Picchu, not that he got seeds there:lol:.[U][/U]
I'll never forget the day he stopped by my house and referred to me as his tomato buddy. I felt honored that he would call me that.
In the pic from the party below, he is the man to the left in the hat drinking a beer.
[IMG]http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h234/Remyo_2006/garden%202007/Tomato%20Party/tomatoparty19.jpg[/IMG]
I will miss him.:(
Remy

PaulF November 23, 2008 10:04 PM

Condolences. It is always hard to lose a friend. May his memory live on.

Mischka November 23, 2008 10:10 PM

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your tomato buddy, Remy.

newatthiskat November 24, 2008 12:16 AM

so sorry

Sorry for your loss! Tomato buddies are something special. If his tomato cross is not named yet what would be a better way to honor him?
Kat

Sherry_AK November 24, 2008 12:32 AM

Remy -- Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Sherry

Zana November 24, 2008 12:34 AM

I remember having a very involved conversation about beans and tomatoes with him and Marilyn at last year's party. I learned allot from listening to him talk about tomatoes. If I remember correctly I gave him some of the Waterloo County Mennonite Pole Beans (aka Mennonite Purple Stripes...aka...). I'll think of him as a lost mentor...however briefly I got to absorb what he had to say.

My prayers and best wishes go out to Marilyn and the rest of the family, as well as you, too, Remy, and your family. You knew him better than the rest of us at your party. I only wish we'd all gotten a chance to know him better.

Rest in Peace, Norm. And may your heavenly garden be always in season and abundant.

remy November 24, 2008 09:01 PM

Thank you all for your condolences. I went to Norm's wake tonight. There were a lot of photos of Norm's life and there was one of a tomato with a ruler below it. His daughters made sure it was included. I met 3 of his daughters for the first time. When I went to introduce myself, they all said, "oh, your his tomato buddy":).
Remy

ContainerTed November 24, 2008 09:35 PM

Remy, he is not totally gone. He will live in wonderful memories for the rest of your life. He has only passed over.

Friends are always a very tough thing to lose.

My thoughts are with you and my prayers are for you and his family's comfort at his passing.

Ted

retiree November 24, 2008 10:33 PM

Norm

Remy
So sorry to hear you lost a good friend. Hold on to the happy memories and treasure them.

I've lost a friend recently as well and it's tough.

My thoughts and prayers are with you as well as his family.

Neil

cottonpicker November 25, 2008 08:38 AM

Peace........ Norm will have a new garden next year. The tomatoes will be heavenly.

Bonnie December 19, 2008 04:02 PM

Tribute to Norm

Remy,
Thank you for giving such a wonderful tribute to my Dad. Also, we want thank all of the people who posted condolences. I will pass them onto my Mom and the rest of the family. We are comforted knowing he is at peace. We believe, he is tending his most beautiful garden ever!
Take Care!
Norm's daughter, Bonnie :)

kygreg December 19, 2008 04:19 PM

Remy,

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, I plan to go to Machu Picchu this summer and will have a moment of thought for Norm.

Nightshade December 19, 2008 09:35 PM

Bonnie and Remy,

May joyful memories of Norm and his life comfort you in this time of loss.

Jan

tomatoaddict December 29, 2008 10:58 PM

Ohhhh Remy, I am just now reading this. I am so sorry.
What a nice man he was. Tomato buddies are special. I hope you find peace in the memories of his friendship.
Just so you know, I consider you one of my favorite tomato friends.:yes:
Take care sister.

remy December 30, 2008 10:18 PM

Thanks again everyone for you kind words.

Bonnie,
I'm glad you stopped by to see the post.

Terry,
You're one of my favorite tomato friends too:). You know Norm loved that tomato stamp you sent. He decorated all his seed pkts. with it like a little kid! In fact he ended up giving me seeds of most every tomato and pepper he grew in the past few years decorated with that stamp.
Remy