Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Your Favorite Pink Tomato? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43490)

AlittleSalt January 5, 2017 06:13 PM

Your Favorite Pink Tomato?

I was looking at my list of seeds to get started. I realized that I have no Pink beefsteak/slicers on my list. There are plenty of smaller pink tomatoes and pink cherries on my list. Pink tomatoes are favorites of ours.

I'm looking for your input on your favorite Pink slicers/Beefsteaks. Preferably 65-85 DTM due to our hot summers here. I'm not asking for seeds.

Hunt-Grow-Cook January 5, 2017 06:15 PM

Rebel Yell for me. Super productive in my garden and taste is outstanding.

AlittleSalt January 5, 2017 06:23 PM

Rebel Yell is now on my list. How could I have forgotten that one? They grew well in our garden in 2016. I saved seeds but let the container dry out... I still have seeds from 2014 though.

mouka_f_slouka January 5, 2017 06:42 PM

When I hear all of these names and varieties, I realize how little I know about tomatoes.
Please keep informing poor schmucks like myself in some interesting and productive varieties. Eventually I will have a whole list of my favorite tomatoes and I will make sure I save the seeds and properly label the containers.

Worth1 January 5, 2017 07:13 PM

I have no idea, "By The Way, Which Ones Pink?";)

Labradors2 January 5, 2017 07:22 PM

Rose for me - it's luscious!

Linda

pondgardener January 5, 2017 07:27 PM

Robert,

I am probably a little biased when I say that my favorite is "Anna Margaret's Heart" which was named after my aunt who passed 5 years ago. She originally lived in southeastern Missouri and brought back seeds when her and my uncle moved back to Colorado. In her small garden this was the only tomato she would grow and it does well in the heat of southeastern Colorado. Tania has plans to include it on her grow out list this year and I hope it does well as it is a special tomato to me. The pictures look a little red on Tania's site but I can definitely state that they are pink. Good luck this year in your garden.

[URL="http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Anna_Margaret%27s_Heart"]http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Anna_Margaret%27s_Heart[/URL]

George

MissS January 5, 2017 07:42 PM

Pinks? Boy, there are a lot of them that I really enjoy... Nope, I can't pick just one. No not at all...

Yep, Rebel Yell, Rose, Barlow Jap, Brandywine from Croatia, Dester, German Johnson, Kosovo, Stump of the World, Terhune, and Winsall all come to mind. I just love those deep luscious pink tomatoes. I am sure that there are a bunch more, but these are the stand-outs for me that come to mind right now.

Cole_Robbie January 5, 2017 08:24 PM

Pinks are defined as having clear skin, not as looking pink in appearance. Some do, some don't. I like Rebel Yell, New Big Dwarf and Jazz, but flavor and appearance-wise they are very similar to red tomatoes. I thought 100 Pudov was pink all summer before looking it up to realize it is a red. As far as pinks that look pink, Anna Maria's Heart is a great variety, very productive.

Sun Peach F1 is a very high-yielding pink cherry with a mild flavor. I wasn't that impressed with the first few I ate, but found myself snacking on them quite a bit. Flavor isn't amazing, but it is agreeable. I'm going to try your Pink Ping Pong next summer to see how it compares to Joe Laurer's Pink German Egg, which is another huge yielder.

AlittleSalt January 5, 2017 08:31 PM

That is wonderful looking heart tomato.

I'll have to look up Rose.

AlittleSalt January 5, 2017 08:40 PM

[QUOTE=Cole_Robbie;608918]I'm going to try your Pink Ping Pong next summer to see how it compares to Joe Laurer's Pink German Egg, which is another huge yielder.[/QUOTE]

For us, the Joe Lauerer's Pink German Egg way out produced Pink Ping Pong. (PPP was grown in 2015 and Joe Lauerer's Pink German Egg was grown in 2016) It's the taste of Pink Ping Pong that we liked most. They were very juicy with a balanced taste - but not balanced/boring. It's really kind of difficult to describe the taste. We're growing them again this year.

rockman January 5, 2017 09:19 PM

You might try a pink lady. Strong plant, big fruit, goes till frost. We mixed with other varieties to get more acid and taste.

ginger2778 January 5, 2017 09:48 PM

There are 4 that I grow every year and always will. Rebel Yell, Elgin Pink Olive Hill, Pruden's Purple. You can't go wrong with any of these. There will be seeds of all in my offer in a couple of weeks.

Gardenboy January 5, 2017 09:54 PM

Hands down this 2016/2017 season is #1 as always...(PL) German Johnson and Marianna's Peace!! :surprised:

mecktom January 6, 2017 04:44 AM

It is hard to beat German Johnson PL. I also like RY, Earls Faux, and Terhune.