Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Tomatillos (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Salsa Violeta (purple tomatillo salsa) (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=20211)

brokenbar October 24, 2011 05:00 PM

Salsa Violeta (purple tomatillo salsa)

[B][I][U]Salsa Violeta[/U][/I][/B]

[B]From Spain comes this great alternative salsa recipe. The combination of sweet & hot makes this a flavorful sauce served over cooked chicken breasts or slices of pork roast.[/B]

[B]16 cups processed purple tomatillo’s (Dropped in boiling water for 5 minutes and run through food/tomato mill.)[/B]

[B]8 cups seeded, chopped bell peppers or long, green mild chili’s[/B]

[B]1 ˝ cups lime juice[/B]

[B]1 cup any red wine[/B]

[B]4 cups sugar[/B]

[B]2 tblsp cumin[/B]

[B]5 tblsp oregano[/B]

[B]2 tblsp sea salt[/B]

[B]2 tsp black pepper[/B]

[B]Jalapenos to taste ( I use ten, seeded and diced for a “medium” hot flavor)[/B]

[B]Add all ingredients to large pot. Bring to boil, lower heat, simmer 30 minutes. [/B]

[B]Drain through colander reserving liquid. Place solids in large pot and add reserved liquid until desired consistency is achieved. I end up only using about 1/3 of the liquid so I have a nice thick salsa.[/B]

[B]It is necessary to drain excess liquid as cooking the mixture too much dims the vibrant purple color.[/B]

[B]Fill pint jars and process 15 minutes in a boiling water bath.[/B]

[B]I grew a large purple tomatillo from Baker Creek. These were golf-ball sized to even bigger. They are considerably larger than the standard jaw breaker sized purple tomatillos you usually see.[/B]

BW_AustinTX November 2, 2011 03:22 PM

Thanks for the recipe. I plan on growing purple tomatillos this coming spring.
Do you remember the name of the tomatillo in the catalog? They seem to have a few.

This sounds really great, and I am sure it looked great too.

Also, would you have any photos of the plants or salsa to share?

brokenbar November 2, 2011 10:36 PM

[B]Baker Creek Heirlooms
[/B]

[B]Tomatillo Purple[/B]

TL101
(Physalis subglabrata) Beautiful purple fruit, large size. Many are a bright violet color throughout their flesh. Much sweeter than the green types; it can be eaten right off the plant. Turns purple when ripe; rare!

I picked several flats and removed the husks and let them ripen to a deep Merlot color indoors. I also made a batch that I chopped in the food processor and I liked the consistency better than the tomatillos run through the food mill

I also did not dip the ones I ran through food processor in boiling water and they remained a much darker purple, even through the boiling water bath.

You can also add or subtract the amount of sugar to your preference. Mine were pretty darn sweet so I only used two cups of sugar.

This salsa looks GORGEOUS over the white chicken breasts or the the white pork.

The juice stains like a son-of-a-gun (kind of like Pomegranate...)

I canned mine in 1/2 pints because a little goes a long way over the meats.

Lcottomsvcs June 25, 2012 08:31 PM

First tomatillos! I am making brokenbar's recipe tomorrow, adjusted for quantities. Looking forward to yummy purple salsa!