Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Mild Habenero-type peppers (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=48183)

Don S September 19, 2018 11:39 PM

Mild Habenero-type peppers

I've read that Habenero's have a unique flavor, but their extreme heat shrivels my flavor buds. Some friends recommended varieties that supposedly taste like Habeneros but have little or no heat like Habanada, Aji Delight, Trinidad Perfume and Zavory.

I grew two Habanada plants this year, and they responded with dozens of fruit each, but with hardly any taste at all. They also have thin walls so they don't make a substantial addition to my usual pepper recipes.

Can anyone recommend from your experience another variety I can try next year, either from my friends' list above or a similar mild pepper that tastes like a chili?

AlittleSalt September 20, 2018 12:38 AM

Going back to one variety that I didn't like at all was NuMex Suave Orange Habanero. It was like eating a bale of hay with pine needles. No heat

Salsacharley September 20, 2018 11:04 AM

You can try Numex Trick or Treat. I found it very close to classic habanero flavor with no heat. Its not for me but if you can't take the heat, stay with Trick or Treat.:surprised:

Worth1 September 20, 2018 11:07 AM

Best is to get use to hot peppers. :)
Worth

imp September 21, 2018 11:04 AM

[QUOTE=Don S;715047]I've read that Habenero's have a unique flavor, but their extreme heat shrivels my flavor buds. Some friends recommended varieties that supposedly taste like Habeneros but have little or no heat like Habanada, Aji Delight, Trinidad Perfume and Zavory.

I grew two Habanada plants this year, and they responded with dozens of fruit each, but with hardly any taste at all. They also have thin walls so they don't make a substantial addition to my usual pepper recipes.

Can anyone recommend from your experience another variety I can try next year, either from my friends' list above or a similar mild pepper that tastes like a chili?[/QUOTE]

I'll be growing some of the varieties you list above next year. The Habanada was tasty before, when I grew it.

[QUOTE=Salsacharley;715075]You can try Numex Trick or Treat. I found it very close to classic habanero flavor with no heat. Its not for me but if you can't take the heat, stay with Trick or Treat.:surprised:[/QUOTE]

I'll add that to the list and see about getting some seed for it! Thanks for suggesting it.

Cole_Robbie September 21, 2018 12:08 PM

If you combine a superhot pepper with the right amount of otherwise bland food, you can get the taste without the heat. 2-3 peppers to about a pound of dried beans or lentils works for me, cooked slowly on a stove top.

imp September 21, 2018 01:23 PM

You could also contain the peppers in a spice bag, so they do not break down and leave seeds for the unwary, LOL!!

roper2008 September 23, 2018 05:26 PM

I've tried trinidad perfume years ago. It was okay. I never did cook with it. I like Red
Habanero's better than the orange. You need to try different one's every year until you
find the right one. It's fun trying different peppers anyway.

greenthumbomaha September 25, 2018 12:28 AM

Aji Dulce is another heatless Habanero type pepper. I bought a plant and grew it in a hanging basket (way too small for this plant). Prolific, ripened early, no heat to my palate but the taste of habaneros is not to my liking.

I purchased Aji Rico at the same time. It took a tad longer to ripen. It had a little zip to it. I liked the flavor of this one. If you like the strong flavor of a green bell pepper but have trouble growing them, this is a good pepper for you.

- Lisa

AlittleSalt September 25, 2018 12:57 AM

Lisa, after my experience with Aji Dulce and NuMex Suave Orange Habanero - along with whatever variety they sell at the grocery stores - I don't care for the way they taste either. I know it's an individual type thing - we all have different tastes. I'm agreeing with you on this one :)

Don S, it is a unique flavor. You either like it or you don't. It is worth growing if you have the space to grow it. I felt that I needed to find out myself.

Don S December 23, 2018 09:58 PM

Thanks for all the advice. It's seed ordering time and I'm going to try NuMex Suave Orange and Roulette this year, and some others next year.

shule1 October 23, 2019 04:26 AM

Just mix your hot peppers with melted cheese, or sour cream, in the stuff you cook. The heat will go way down.

Orange Scotch Bonnets taste similar to orange Habaneros. They're pretty hot, still, but significantly less hot than Habaneros. I think the Habanero has better flavor, though. It has a different kind of heat, too.

I've tried a fair amount of peppers, and other than the Scotch Bonnet, none of them tasted like the orange Habanero I tried. Aji Omnicolor at its orange stage was [I]kind of[/I] close, though (when red it's different). I have, however, found some really good tasting peppers, even if they're different: e.g. Aji Dulce 1 (when green) and Aji Habanero. Aji Dulce 1 is very mild. Aji Habanero is about as hot as Cayenne. Aji Omnicolor is about that hot to a lot hotter.

Nematode October 23, 2019 08:16 AM

Slice them (habs) and soak them in vodka.
They will taste great, be milder, and keep a loooong time.
Beware the vodka it's nuclear.

sdambr October 23, 2019 10:23 AM

[QUOTE=AlittleSalt;715051]Going back to one variety that I didn't like at all was NuMex Suave Orange Habanero. It was like eating a bale of hay with pine needles. No heat[/QUOTE]

So funny, I have grown that one too. We actually love it, and it has been my most requested pepper. Full disclosure... none of us can take the heat of the habanero types bu love the flavor. A jalapeno is about the top of our threshold.