Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Lithium Sunset plant size (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47281)

jillian April 15, 2018 03:40 PM

Lithium Sunset plant size

I haven't had any luck in my searches but I am trying to decide where/how I want to grow this one ( container or ground). Right now it's about the same size as my PBTD and Indian Stripe. So I am wondering if it is considered a compact indeterminate? I am planting out in a few days so any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

dfollett April 15, 2018 10:22 PM

[QUOTE=jillian;695348]I haven't had any luck in my searches but I am trying to decide where/how I want to grow this one ( container or ground). Right now it's about the same size as my PBTD and Indian Stripe. So I am wondering if it is considered a compact indeterminate? I am planting out in a few days so any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I've grown it a few times. It is a full size indeterminate. I really like it. Very attractive and tasty fruit.

Spartanburg123 April 15, 2018 11:10 PM

I agree with dfollett. I grew it last year- about 6 feet tall, moderately productive, and great flavor. Nice plant!

jillian April 16, 2018 10:55 AM

That helps, I have determined where to put her now. I always start too many seeds, year after year lol. But I am determined to grow them all, hopefully I can scrounge up a few more cages.

Thanks so much guys!

Spartanburg123 April 16, 2018 01:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a few photos of the young plant that I found- from 2017...

jillian April 16, 2018 05:03 PM

Darin, thanks for sharing the pics! I have decided to grow it in an earth box. I have 23 plants, the 6 determinates will be grown in 10 gallon grow bags. Of my indeterminate varieties, 6 will be grown in new garden bed,. 6 in earthboxes and 3 in 20 gallon grow bags. That leaves 2 to give away, no more cages!

Do you remember if Lithium Sunset is mid or late season?

Moshou April 16, 2018 10:05 PM

In my garden it was a mid season producer

ginger2778 April 16, 2018 10:22 PM

For me it was very highly productive and fairly early.

Spartanburg123 April 16, 2018 10:51 PM

Yes! Mine was also one of the first to bear ripe fruit. Marsha- thanks again for those seeds last year :)

jillian April 16, 2018 11:26 PM

Thanks all, glad to know it's early to mid season! And yes, Marsha, thanks for sharing these seeds.

Darin, I grow at least one heart variety each year, this season it's Grightmire's Pride.
Next year I would love to grow Dotson's Lebanese Heart! The pics I've seen are just gorgeous. Have you planted out yet? I am less than an hour from you and geez it's frigid out there tonight! I am glad I decided to wait, am hoping to plant out Wednesday.

Spartanburg123 April 16, 2018 11:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Jillian- I did plant 3 Early Girls and an Akers WV plant- but I have them covered with a bucket and a towel. The other 12 or so plants will go in the dirt perhaps Wednesday. I think we'll be fine.

If you want some seeds, just PM me your address if you don't have them already! No SASE required :).

Best of luck!

Oh, I forgot- here's a picture of a ripe Lithium Sunset- these are SOOO delicious!!:D

JRinPA April 17, 2018 12:09 AM

I grew a couple lithium sunset last year, florida weaved, full sun, next to Aunt Ginny's Purple and a few rows away from Cherokee purple and cuostralee. I considered it a normal size indeterminate. They were pretty; unfortunately taste was only average, the leaves were not very resistant to blight, and they didn't make the cut for this year.

jillian April 17, 2018 12:09 AM

Oh my goodness, that looks indescribably good. My mouth is watering, I am really looking forward to this one now! :P

Thanks Darin, sending you a pm.

ginger2778 April 17, 2018 07:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Lithium Sunset photos, not actually ripe enough. I thought they were delicious.

Fred Hempel April 17, 2018 09:54 AM

Very interesting. The original Lithium Sunset was a yellow bicolor with yelllow stripes, but the photos here seem to show a red tomato with yellow stripes.