Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Eggplant aka Aubergine (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Growing 5 Types of Eggplant (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=41447)

Bodhi Peace May 28, 2016 11:35 PM

Growing 5 Types of Eggplant

Day ~28 since transplanting. Varieties are: Barbarella, Nadia, Rosa bianca, Fairy tale, and Oriental charm.

So far Barbarella is the tallest using the central stalk as the measure. Nadia and Rosa bianca have very upright leaves that reach higher than even Barbarella.

Fairy tale is the shortest but is loaded with buds and was the first to flower.

Oriental charm is sort of a medium height with interesting wavy leaves that spread out very flat and wide.

Number of pre-flowers (or flowers):
Oriental Charm: 3
Rosa bianca: 1
Barbarella: 3
Nadia: 1
Fairy tale: 9!

I had a thought that Fairy tale might be stressed and going into shock, but the plant doesn't show signs like that...

So anybody want to place bets on which is most productive? My summers are usually mid-70s Fahrenheit with fog sometimes. 8-)

WilburMartin June 4, 2016 08:21 PM

I got 2 - Bonnie Ichiban sets, which are looking pretty good and am growing 3 Black Beauty from seeds I started a couple of months ago. Nothing close to flowering, though. The plants are about 2 feet high. Here in MS, it gets HAWT - will be 90+ all next week with 70 at night.

AlittleSalt June 4, 2016 08:39 PM

I'm growing eggplant for the first time. (I don't even remember what eggplant tastes like.) I'm growing 2 Black Beauty and 2 Ping Tung. So far, the plants have made it through all the rain and I noticed some blooms earlier today.

KC.Sun June 5, 2016 12:38 AM

Fairytale is very compact. Doesn't grow very tall, but produces constantly. Much more than the other varieties I've grown.

zeroma June 6, 2016 11:07 PM

Are any of you experiencing flea beatles? Ours are being attacked big time. Have you any good remedies for this?

zeroma

Bodhi Peace June 6, 2016 11:36 PM

I was getting pincher bugs and caterpillars. The pinchers ate the inside of the leaves and the caterpillars ate the edges. The bugs seem to have mellowed out now that the plants are larger.

I think the flea beetles are worse on that side of the country.

Bodhi Peace June 6, 2016 11:40 PM

Looking forward to seeing fairytale grow and produce. Really 'dig' the name too.

Bodhi Peace June 6, 2016 11:48 PM

Raw eggplant tastes like a dense, chewy, musky summer squash with an interesting seedy interior and strong sour notes around the skin(?).

Worth1 June 7, 2016 12:04 AM

I saw the lavender stripped eggplant in the store the other day why not buy some.
As I reached for the things I saw the price was 6. something a pound.:shock:
Hand slowly moves back.:lol:

Worth

Father'sDaughter June 7, 2016 12:44 AM

Pickled and packed under oil -- that's what I do with mine. I only grow one variety, Violetta Lunga. I planted out five good, healthy seedlings last weekend.

Two days later four looked great and one was a limp pile of leaves laying on the ground. I thought for sure it was done for, but for some reason I chose not to pull it.

I checked the garden again Saturday, intending to yank the dead eggplant out, but I found it standing straight up again and already has new leaves emerging.

I've been growing it from saved seed for a few years and I seem to recall another plant playing dead for a few days at one point.

Bodhi Peace June 8, 2016 02:03 PM

Yeah they seem like pretty hardy plants. Really strong stems and big flowers. Pretty too.

Bodhi Peace June 8, 2016 02:05 PM

Worth-

If that's the going price, it may be worth taking eggplant to market!~

FD-

I'll keep that in mind about "playing dead"* THanks

Tracydr June 8, 2016 06:08 PM

Eggplant is one of my favorite veggies. Just roasted on the grill or oven with a bit of garlic,evoo, salt,pepper. Or, made into green curry. Eggplant parmigiana.
Tomato,basil and eggplant soup is one of our favorite summertime meals.

Bodhi Peace June 8, 2016 10:57 PM

I just used an eggplant in a soup and it was quite good.
I'll have to try that TBE (tomato, basil, eggplant) soup!

efisakov February 20, 2018 06:23 PM

[QUOTE=Father'sDaughter;566751]Pickled and packed under oil -- that's what I do with mine. I only grow one variety, Violetta Lunga. I planted out five good, healthy seedlings last weekend.

Two days later four looked great and one was a limp pile of leaves laying on the ground. I thought for sure it was done for, but for some reason I chose not to pull it.

I checked the garden again Saturday, intending to yank the dead eggplant out, but I found it standing straight up again and already has new leaves emerging.

I've been growing it from saved seed for a few years and I seem to recall another plant playing dead for a few days at one point.[/QUOTE]

Hi, Father'sDaughter,
I have few seeds of Violetta Lunga eggplant. Planing to grow this variety. Is it sweet or bitter one? I know how to take care of the bitterness, just not sure I want to grow one that is bitter.
thanks