Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Potatoes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   I Dug Some Potatoes Today (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=32131)

jerryinfla April 22, 2014 08:51 PM

I Dug Some Potatoes Today

3 Attachment(s)
I harvested my first potatoes of this season today and if today's haul is representative of what's left to dig I should get more than 100 pounds from two 32 square foot beds. It also looks like there will be plenty of baking size spuds too. Of the 10 pounds I dug today, six were about the size of the one I'm holding.

Worth1 April 22, 2014 10:07 PM

Sure you did you did.
You piled up some weeds and took potatoes from the store and put them in your garden.:P:P:P

Worth

Zana April 22, 2014 11:09 PM

Looking great!

peppero April 23, 2014 07:47 AM

Looks good to me Jerry. I know you will enjoy them.

jon:yes:

BucksCountyGirl April 23, 2014 09:27 AM

Awesome Jerry! May I ask what variety that is? I am starting potatoes for the first time this year (French Fingerling and German Butterball).

jerryinfla April 23, 2014 10:02 AM

Yeah!!! The Worth we know and love is beginning to show his true colors. I think about you often because I know what you're going through right now. Someday we'll both be our old selves again -- at least that's what they tell me. I don't expect life will ever be the same because there's a huge part of it missing now but I do hope to develop a new normal -- someday.

Kelli, I was hoping nobody would ask what kind of potatoes they are because the truth is I don't know. The past couple of years I bought seed potatoes from a big box store and they had names on the package. This season I bought them in bulk from my favorite nursery -- one handfull of "whites" and another handful of "reds." These are obviously the whites -- I'll dig some reds soon.

They taste as good as they look too, Zana and Jon. I fried and baked some of them last night -- ate the fried ones with dinner and a baked one for desert. I'll have another baked one at lunch today then freeze the others. Since I'm doing my own cooking now I like easy meals -- from the freezer and cans.

BucksCountyGirl April 23, 2014 11:06 AM

[QUOTE=jerryinfla;406738]
They taste as good as they look too, Zana and Jon. I fried and baked some of them last night -- ate the fried ones with dinner and a baked one for desert. I'll have another baked one at lunch today then freeze the others. [/QUOTE]

No worries Jerry! The last part of that post is all that counts! Wishing you continued potato success:yes:

moray-eel-bite April 23, 2014 04:12 PM

They look like kennebec to me.

Worth1 April 23, 2014 07:07 PM

Yeah im back sort of.:lol:
The potatoes look good.

Worth

Lee April 23, 2014 08:23 PM

Agree, probably Kennebecs. The reds should be Red Pontiac, as those are two very popular potato varieties sold in nurseries and the big box stores.

Looking great Jerry!

Lee

wmontanez April 23, 2014 09:05 PM

I also think they look like kennebec. If you french fry one and it taste AMAZING then probably are~

Looking great there with that harvest jerry

ginger2778 April 23, 2014 09:10 PM

Those look so good Jerry. I'll be over for dinner on Sunday!:twisted:

Marsha

jerryinfla April 25, 2014 09:38 PM

I Dug My Reds Today

1 Attachment(s)
I finished harvesting the whites yesterday and dug all of the reds today. Together they're just over 90 pounds -- a bit short of the more than 100 pounds I thought I might get. I'm pretty sure you folks are correct too -- the whites are probably kennebecs and the reds are probably pontiac reds.