Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Fruit, Flowers and Ornamentals (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Fig Trees (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=4344)

dcarch March 15, 2007 07:11 AM

[quote=Spatzbear;49765]----------------------
Our tree is loaded with fruit at the moment. There are now at least 2-3 ripe figs every day. YUM!

[/quote]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]Are those propagated from cuttings? What are their varieties? Can't believe they can bear fruits on so small a tree! Have to try to grow some![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]Now tell the truth; You glue the figs on to make us jealous, didn't you?:lol: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]dcarch[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Spatzbear March 15, 2007 08:11 AM

[quote=dcarch;49772[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=black][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]Now tell the truth; You glue the figs on to make us jealous, didn't you?:lol: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]dcarch[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Yeah, sure! I'm the wicked witch of the east. Or something like that. ;)

Well, the fruit bearing fig tree is in the ground and has been for the last 10 years or so. I just prune it once in a while, feed it, water it, nurture it, talk to it, threaten it. You get the picture.

The ones in the pot are the cuttings.

The one in the ground is a White Genoa, so I was told.

The ones in the pot are Malta Black, White Fig, Pollinator Fig (don't ask, I don't know, apparently you plant it in the same hole as any other fig. To aid pollination.), and I had Woodside Chocolate Factory Fig, but this one is struggling.

Do try fig cuttings. They are worth it. :)

dcarch March 15, 2007 08:48 AM

[quote=Spatzbear;49783]-------------Do try fig cuttings. They are worth it. :)[/quote]

This can be tricky. I have to wait till after midnight after my neighbors have gone to bed. :mrgreen: :twisted:

dcarch

Spatzbear March 15, 2007 05:53 PM

[quote=dcarch;49786]This can be tricky. I have to wait till after midnight after my neighbors have gone to bed. :mrgreen: :twisted:

dcarch[/quote]

Make sure there is second year's growth on the cuttings. They will strike better. :)

redbrick March 15, 2007 06:30 PM

Spatz, thank you so much! I think you just gave me the secret ingredient to the "Arcane Root Striking Spell"! I have so much trouble getting fig cuttings to strike it's unreal. Dormant cuttings, softwood cuttings, semi-hardwood cuttings, they all give up on me! Maybe this year... Thanks again!

Spatzbear March 15, 2007 06:37 PM

Redbrick. Take cuttings from a dormant tree. The secret is you need a cutting that includes second year's growth. I dip them in honey before sticking them in a pot. But I'm sure that's not really necessary. Make sure the cuttings sit firmly in the soil and can't move about (wind, etc.).

Good luck! :)