Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Tomato Recipes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Tomato soup with coconut and mustard seed (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=21588)

Tracydr February 28, 2012 10:23 AM

Tomato soup with coconut and mustard seed

This was served to my husband at a dinner by one of his professors. I now make it frequently. Very easy. Can't wait for fresh, garden tomatoes! I'm using a very sweet, strange lemon with a zest that smells like an orange so I use a lot of extra juice.
I've used fresh jalapeños and habaneros from the garden. I seem to like the store bought tomatoes cooked a little longer and I add the peppers so that they can cook, too. Be very careful not to scorch the mustard seeds!

SPICY TOMATO COCONUT SOUP
5 large tomatoes, cored
14 oz. can coconut milk
4 Thai chiles
3 tbs. olive oil
2 tbs. mustard seed
l lemon, juiced (potentially more depending on taste)
Salt
1/4 bunch cilantro, chopped

Preparation:
In a large stockpot, place tomatoes in bottom down. Cover with water and poach on high heat for approx. 10 min. or until skin begins to peel back from the tomatoes. Remove from heat and drain. Carefully remove the skin from the tomatoes. Place tomatoes in a blender or food processor, add chiles. In a large saucepan, heat olive oil. Add mustard seeds until they pop. Once popping subsides (but doesn't stop) quickly add the tomato mixture, coconut milk, and lemon juice (you may need more depending on preference) and salt to taste. Remove from heat and garnish with cilantro. ★★★★★★★★★★
Serves 6.

SHORTCUT #1--If you are pressed for time, use large cans of stewed tomatoes to 1 can of coconut milk
SHORTCUT #2--Last night I used fresh tomatoes (not poached), and blended them skin and

stormymater February 28, 2012 10:30 AM

Gotta try! I LOVE tomato soups!

puttgirl February 29, 2012 12:51 PM

That sounds really interesting. Coconut milk is hard to find around my neck of the woods, though. Maybe our local walmart has it...they just started carrying coconut oil.

Tracydr February 29, 2012 06:05 PM

[QUOTE=puttgirl;258531]That sounds really interesting. Coconut milk is hard to find around my neck of the woods, though. Maybe our local walmart has it...they just started carrying coconut oil.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure your Walmart has it. Look in the little Asian section, by the soy sauce and stuff.
Or, try Amazon. Do you have a prime membership? The prime membership isn't very expensive and you get free shipping. If you're in a small town it might be worth having. My husband and I have it because it saves us time and gas money, not to mention its often much cheaper than local stores and sales tax. I buy so much there. In fact, just bought two pounds of mustard seeds because I ran out making the soup this week. I'm thinking about making some homemade mustard, too.
We never buy anything anymore without checking amazon. The only time something might compare is when a store offers a really good military discount. Then they have to also beat amazon plus the local sales tax.

IronPete July 27, 2014 03:25 PM

Hi and thanks for posting this recipe! I just made it and it was excellent! Easy-peasy totally tasty tomato soup!! Awesome recipe!
Pete approved! ;)

brokenbar July 27, 2014 09:45 PM

[QUOTE=puttgirl;258531]That sounds really interesting. Coconut milk is hard to find around my neck of the woods, though. Maybe our local walmart has it...they just started carrying coconut oil.[/QUOTE]
Walmart carries a lot of stuff online that they may not have in your store. Free shipping on "shop at home" orders over 45.00 (like anyone could shop at Walmart and not spend 45.00...:lol:)

Tracydr August 16, 2014 06:27 PM

I just made this soup again a few days ago. Thank goodness I posted it here or I would have never found my recipe!
I didn't have fresh tomatoes, used canned. Still turned out really good but it's much better with fresh homegrown.