Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Seed & Plant Sources (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   J&L Gardens (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=25498)

goodwin November 15, 2012 09:18 PM

J&L Gardens

Our 2013 online catalog is pretty much ready and we have a number of new lines of tomatoes and other vegetables to offer from our breeding programs. Jan and I have been taking these varieties to market for the last couple summers, so we know they will produce and there seems to be a lot of demand for the unique colors and flavors we've developed. Our farm site is jandlgardens.com and you can reach our catalog from there.
Lee

Redbaron November 15, 2012 10:04 PM

Don't be shy. You have some great pics of 2012

[URL="http://www.jandlgardens.com/2012%20trials/index.html"]http://www.jandlgardens.com/2012%20trials/index.html[/URL]

greenthumbomaha November 16, 2012 09:04 AM

The link to your online store isn't working. Waahhhh I want to try everything !!!! PLease post when its fixed. - Lisa

amideutch November 16, 2012 01:38 PM

Placed an order with them today with no problems. Ami

clkeiper November 16, 2012 02:01 PM

I can only see pictures. no text. Great pictures, by the way.

amideutch November 16, 2012 03:28 PM

[url]http://jandlgardens.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=b82f0idu780k1fs32q3tan8to7[/url]

goodwin November 16, 2012 11:38 PM

hi -
Here is a direct link to our seed catalog - [url]http://www.jandlgardens.com/catalog[/url]
Jan and I are doing what we did on growing up on farms a lot of years ago. We work to save and propagate important lines and to improve and expand the genetic stock.
J&L is a farm, so new varieties we develop or discover are sold at local markets. We keep records on everything because it is our livelihood, and we save seed and make it available to folks.
Let me know if there is something you would like to trial, and I'll get it out to you.
Lee

T'ville is a remarkable resource - thanks to everyone here!

austinnhanasmom November 17, 2012 09:42 AM

LOVE the selection!!

I thought my 2013 tomato list was complete until I visited your site. I am so glad that I did!!

I spotted Lions Tail for the first time, in person, at the CSU trial garden this summer and am SO glad that you offer seed!!

goodwin November 18, 2012 08:17 AM

Lion's Tail is an amazing plant - it just just keeps shooting up and up. This year I waited until after the first frost to gather seed and it was much easier. It will self-seed here and would there as well.
Thank you for the nice word about our varieties. I got your order and it is a great list. You must have a wonderful garden and it will be fun to hear how everything does!
Hopefully, we will get some snow along the front range this winter. It is looking awfully dry so far down here.
Lee

austinnhanasmom November 21, 2012 06:33 PM

Order arrived quickly!

Thanks so much - can't wait to try these!!

cornbreadlouie November 21, 2012 06:47 PM

Soon I will review many plants purchased from this wonderful seed vendor along with some he sent me for free before I knew he was running a business. Haven't had time to spend on the internet but I have a long weekend coming up!

roper2008 November 21, 2012 08:23 PM

What is Lion's Tail?

Redbaron November 21, 2012 08:45 PM

[QUOTE=roper2008;311796]What is Lion's Tail?[/QUOTE]

It is a flower in the mint family particularly good for attracting pollinators including hummingbirds.

Leonotis leonorus

goodwin November 23, 2012 08:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
hi -
I stumbled on Lion's Tail in a Richter's herb catalog several years ago and we grow a huge screen of it along the south garden each summer. It is fun to watch the hummingbirds dodging through the blossoms and there is no other ornamental quite like it. Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving!

Lee

greenthumbomaha December 4, 2012 06:54 PM

A huge THANK YOU to JL GARDENS! Lee was so kind to help choose varieties that would jazz up my garden and salad bowl. Exclusive crosses, new to me cherry and pear, blues ..I can't even begin to list... He even made a special package with assorted seeds so I could try a little of this and a little of that. My garden will be totally full of amazing plants. These folks truly have a passion for what they do. Thank you again JL Gardens :)

Alpinejs December 4, 2012 11:22 PM

Stop that! Stop that! Stop that! Every time I think I have my house in order, someone
dangles new-to-me varieties that I just gotta have. It ain't fair!! Not fair at all!! Oh for the
good ol' days when I only needed to buy a couple of "big boys" or "late girls" at Wallyworld.
Alas, I even thought our local produce dept. sold tomatoes. WRONG! Can't we have like a
three year moratorium where no new varieties can be introduced and certainly not touted.
I'm like these end-of-the-world folks that stockpile #10 cans of lima beans. I have seed for
great varieties that I don't even have the room to grow. They go on my next year list, but
then I add so many new and wonderful discoveries that they are again relegated to the
next year grow list. (how many years till seeds go stale?)

I digress. Thanks for sharing your super on-line catalog with all these addicted people.

clkeiper December 5, 2012 07:15 AM

ENABLERS! ALL ENABLERS! aren't they?
I just got mine the other day form them. I can't wait. I think I need another 2 or 3 acre garden:dizzy:

goodwin December 10, 2012 11:54 PM

We are going to offer various samplers of five different varieties - at least for a while during the holidays. It was greenthumbomaha's idea and I think it is a good one. I need to decide what to include, though a selection of new varieties would make sense.
It is really cold here now, down to 2 degrees the last couple of nights. We're staying close to the fireplace and sketching out next years' planting.
I have always enjoyed this part.
Thank you for all your kind comments. It makes what we do truly worth the time.
Lee

KY Grower December 11, 2012 03:53 PM

Received my order today! Excellent service Lee and I appreciate the extra bonus. Just like Christmas coming early.

Doug9345 December 11, 2012 08:51 PM

[QUOTE=Alpinejs;313861]. . . Every time I think I have my house in order, someone
dangles new-to-me varieties that I just gotta have. It ain't fair!! Not fair at all!! . . . I have seed for great varieties that I don't even have the room to grow. They go on my next year list, but then I add so many new and wonderful discoveries that they are again relegated to the next year grow list. (how many years till seeds go stale?). . .
[/QUOTE]

They say you can grow them all, but that doesn't stop us from trying.:twisted:
Seed should be good for 10 years without having to mess with it too much. You can always pit it in a tight container and put it in the freezer.

baileyj December 30, 2012 12:50 PM

Alpinejs,
My sentiments exactly.
If my DH realized how many seeds I have, he would not be encouraging me to try more...

Lee,
I posted my order a few minutes ago, before seeing your comments here about Lions Tail...will it grow here in zone 7.
Also saw your note here about variety samplers....I did not see this on your site before ordering....perhaps I missed it, Are they ready yet ?

So.... ready to start seeds, but have a good 3-4 weeks to wait.
Thanks,
Judi

goodwin December 30, 2012 03:20 PM

hi Judi -

Lion's Tail will be very happy in your climate. I will send you some seed. The samplers will have to wait until after New Year's, when I have a bit more time. There are 8 seeds of a variety in each mini-packet and 4 varieties in a packet. Anyway, thank you for the order, and I hope you are enjoying the holidays.
Lee

cornbreadlouie January 6, 2013 08:48 PM

I still plan to review all the stuff from J&L that I grew in 2012, but for now I'd like to give a special shout out to the bosque blue tomato. If you're a first time black/purple/blue tomato grower or want to grow more of them, check this one out.

It produces many fruits on manageable size plants. The taste is good, not exceptional, but the aesthetics are great. Truly a beautiful tomato. The best part for me though, is the resistance to splitting & cracking. Even in the hardest rain, or the most uneven watering, the bosque blue skin stayed together.

If you're interested in breeding blue tomatoes, I think this one is a good stepping off point. A f1 cross I made with the bosque blue is showing mostly desirable traits, with pretty good anthocyanin accumulation.

Not a great pic, but the striking difference between bosque blue and regular tomatoes. [URL]http://i46.tinypic.com/22lrpf.jpg[/URL]

goodwin January 8, 2013 11:05 PM

I think that is a darn good photo - what a great assortment of colors and shapes! I'm looking forward to hearing how your cross shapes up. When there are several genes working together, as in the blue color, things can get very interesting. The Bosque Blue is easy to grow and earlier than others - some good traits to start with. And I'd enjoy hearing how the rest of the garden did last season, because your climate is so different from ours.
I got an email yesterday from someone in the UK who grew out a number of our varieties in a really wet and cold year. Some I wouldn't necessarily expect to do well under those tough conditions thrived and others succumbed. So it's good to know how they may adapt.
Lee

goodwin January 9, 2013 10:18 PM

11 Attachment(s)
Here are some thumbnails of new varieties for this season. Most of these tomatoes are smaller because that is what we sell at the farmers' markets. A couple are re-releases like the Midnight Select - a strain of J&L Select, a variety which has been out for several years. We've sold our Pruden's Black before as well, but we like this particular line with the dark shoulders and green gel around the seeds. Sugar Drop we sent out for trial two seasons ago, but it was not completely stable. I think it is now. Vincent's showed up as a volunteer - so it is probably a named variety - I just don't what. Vincent was the old cat who always followed me about in the fields, and it's named after him now.
Lee

natural January 13, 2013 11:44 AM

Anyone know if Starfire Isis is available for order?

goodwin January 13, 2013 03:40 PM

natural,

Oops, the Starfire is available - I just needed to enable it on the website. Thank you so much for checking back!
The pattern is quite striking - particularly when the weather is a little cooler.
Lee

natural January 13, 2013 03:58 PM

thanks Lee! I'll be ordering that one along with a few others.

Bill

gill_s April 21, 2013 02:59 PM

E-mail problems

Hello Lee

I am having problems with the e-mail for 'Contact' on your website. I have a query about Fioletovyi Kruglyi. You do not give an e-mail address and I have been unable to use the Microsoft Outlook on my computer. It had seemingly downloaded but I still wasn't able to send a message. I sent an e-mail, using the address I previously had for you, but didn't get a reply, so assumed that you were no longer using that address.

Gill

goodwin April 21, 2013 03:53 PM

Hi Gill,

I think I figured out what happened to your message. Anyway, I checked the Fioletovyi Krugli I planted and it is doing fine. My experience has been that when seedlings fail to take off, it is usually the whole tray and it has to do with the starter medium. When I pot them up, they respond with deeper color and vigor.
That does not sound like your problem, so I am at a bit of a loss. I will send an email.

Lee