Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Starting From Seed (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Got Kicked Out (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=45080)

imp May 24, 2017 01:01 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;641934]I bave no idea what it is with today's men.
Men rule the home and need to lay the law down.:lol:
Worth[/QUOTE]

Just smiling here.:yes:

oakley May 24, 2017 01:26 PM

Have you watched Craig's videos?. He starts a dense planting indoors, very few trays
and take up no room at all. Sprouting in a warm office window on a table.

Steril mix will have no gnats. Coir or flourDry for seed starting.

He then pots up in the garage keeping all mess and massive quantity out of the house.
Weather is warmer so the garage may be fine. A table and a shelf unit is probably all
you need. The shelves w/ light set-up could be covered for warmth.

Do you have any houseplants? That could be the incubator of gnats.
Maybe its her fault...;):))

ContainerTed May 24, 2017 03:50 PM

To help reduce the number of gnats, I put some stale beer, some cider vinegar, and one drop of Dawn soap into an old peanut butter jar and then add water enough to bring the level up to about 1/3 of the way. The beer and vinegar draw the gnats and they drown in the solution.

And, my experience is that the gnats come from fruit in the kitchen and not seedlings. Cover the apples and bananas and tell that woman to shut up. The gnats readily breed on any fruit, and that includes tomatoes on the counter.

garyjr May 24, 2017 04:10 PM

What containerTed said! :))

Labradors2 May 24, 2017 04:21 PM

There's a difference between fruit flies and fungus gnats. Fruit flies come in on store-bought fruit and veggies in the summer time, and feast on fruit as well as fermenting tomato seeds! They multiply every day, and have a blast in the compost pile where they fly in your face every time you lift the lid :panic:

Fungus gnats come in on cheap and nasty potting soil that has been left outside for months at the big box store to get wet! They dine on tasty young seedling roots :x

Linda

carolyn137 May 24, 2017 04:35 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;641934]I bave no idea what it is with today's men.
Men rule the home and need to lay the law down.:lol:
Worth[/QUOTE]

Patience is a virtue
Find it if you can
You'll find it in a woman
But seldom in a man.

QED ( quod erat demonstratum, aka, that which has been shown.;)

Carolyn

Nematode May 24, 2017 04:55 PM

We sure are having fun, but might have scared the OP away.....
Either that or there is no internet in the garage. :D

Worth1 May 24, 2017 05:49 PM

[QUOTE=Nematode;642068]We sure are having fun, but might have scared the OP away.....
Either that or there is no internet in the garage. :D[/QUOTE]

Might be he is laying the law down and telling everyone who rules the roost.
Not really a man thing either .
The person that is growing the plants and seedlings take first priority man or woman.

My wife put up with all manner of craziness from me throughout the years.
Up to and including rebuilding a (clean) transmission and V8 engine in the house in the kitchen.
When I bought a TIG welder she insisted it come in the house.
I even had an Oxy acetylene torch in one of the spare bedrooms. :lol:

Worth

dmforcier May 24, 2017 07:44 PM

A tool girl? No wonder you married her!

Worth1 May 24, 2017 08:04 PM

[QUOTE=dmforcier;642111]A tool girl? No wonder you married her![/QUOTE]

She helped me convert an automatic 75 Chevy Blazer to a four speed standard before I married her.:)
A few years later she changed out the master cylinder on her car by herself.
She came from a rich family of idiots that couldn't change out a light bulb.

Worth

Rockporter May 24, 2017 08:35 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;642118]She helped me convert an automatic 75 Chevy Blazer to a four speed standard before I married her.:)
A few years later she changed out the master cylinder on her car by herself.
She came from a rich family of idiots that couldn't change out a light bulb.

Worth[/QUOTE]

I changed the water pump in my 70's mercury capri, and I took the radiator out and reinstalled it in my 72 Nova. I've been known to dabble a little because I watched four brothers growing up start with building bikes, then motorcycles and move onto cars. You can learn a lot by watching and helping your brothers.

MissS May 24, 2017 09:13 PM

LOL! Build yourself a doghouse and heat it with a good warm light. Otherwise if you use diatomaceous earth as you growing medium, you will not find a single bug.

Father'sDaughter May 24, 2017 11:22 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;642088]Might be he is laying the law down and telling everyone who rules the roost.
[/QUOTE]

Or just laying down after she clocked him...

peebee May 25, 2017 12:27 AM

Like more than one person here said, use DE (called different names but I use Ultrasorb I think it is, you buy at those auto shops). It is the greatest medium for sprouting seeds and you won't get damping off either. And it is so simple to separate the seedlings when you sow multiple seeds in one tiny container.:yes: