Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing In Containers (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Pro Mix HP or Bx vrs Fafarb (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=38004)

schill93 August 5, 2015 07:28 PM

Pro Mix HP or Bx vrs Fafarb

I use containers only. In fact I use Earthboxes and other 5 gal SIP containers.
Pro Mix BX is of course touted as the best, however is not locally available in my area.

I can order the Pro-mix HP 3.8 cu ft compressed bale for about $55 a bale or the Pro-Mix BX for $72 a bale. Would need three bales. Rather expensive. (especially the BX)

Or I can buy a cheap bales of Fafard Sphagnum Peat Moss from Lowes for $13 ea. which I believe are 3. cu. in size, a 3.5 Cu ft. bag of course Vermiculite from a soil company for $29, as well as a 3.5 bag of perlite or $18 (not course)

Plus if I wanted to buy some mycorrhizae inoculants for an additional $24.00

Compare 3 bags of Pro Mix $165 to $207

Vs.

3 bags of Fafard $39
3.5 cu, bag Vermiculite $29
3.5 cu ft. bat of perlite #19
Bag of mycorrhizae inoculants (maybe) $24.00 Total $87-$111
I would still have labor involved as I would need to break out bags of Peat to moisten, add some other additives to it and mix up before planting, so labor would be a little less with ProMix as I wouldn't necessarily need to add extra Perlite and Vermiculite to mix, but would be adding some other additives.

There are no pine bark fines available anywhere without having to grind my own which I draw the line at.. I would not be adding any compost to the Earthboxes or other sip containers, as they are not large enough and might impede the wicking process. Also, I am not so interested in trying to grow organically in containers, as I have not done so well in that department and reserve that for when I am able to make some raised beds up.

Now that I write it all down and read it myself, if ordering the ProMix, I would probably opt for the HP, due to cheaper price, so a difference of $56 to $80 more money with a lot less running around and less mixing together., not having to run all around town to 3 different places. Probably worth the money. Anyone care to comment? :?

elight August 5, 2015 08:23 PM

If you can find Fafard products, you might want to look at their potting mix as a substitute for ProMix BX. I have been using the one in the blue bag for a few years and have found it almost as good with a similar composition, at a fraction of the price.

RayR August 5, 2015 08:24 PM

Shipping is a killer on stuff like that. Do you have any hydroponic shops in your area? Some have a better selection of baled mixes than the big box stores or garden centers..

schill93 August 6, 2015 12:09 AM

[QUOTE=elight;496667]If you can find Fafard products, you might want to look at their potting mix as a substitute for ProMix BX. I have been using the one in the blue bag for a few years and have found it almost as good with a similar composition, at a fraction of the price.[/QUOTE]

No unfortunately, it's not available. Only Miracle Grow, Dr.Q, and Happy Frog in 8 qt. bags, and some brand that Lowes carries that has horrible reviews.

RayR. I did call a number of Hydroponics stores but I was asking them if they carried Promix or could order it. One of them said they could order it, but it cost just as much as it did through Amazon, and I wouldn't have to drive 35 miles to get it. I never thought to ask if they had anything else. Should have. Silly me.

pecker88 August 6, 2015 09:41 AM

I can't get any ProMix HP or BX, but our local home depots do carry [URL="http://www.homedepot.com/p/PRO-MIX-Ultimate-4-cu-ft-All-Purpose-Growing-Mix-1020030/205360639"]ProMix Ultimate[/URL], have you tried looking for that? Its unfertilized mix, peat based that includes perlite; its $14 for 4 cu ft.

I've also found [URL="http://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/gardening/shop-all-lawn-plant-care/pro-mix-reg-ultimate-organic-mix-1-cu-ft/p-1509488-c-10116.htm?tid=5133053524620997942"]ProMix Ultimate Organic[/URL] at a local big box hardware store, it's $26 for 4 cu ft.

elight August 6, 2015 09:46 AM

The Pro-Mix Ultimate looks interesting - I believe part of their consumer line of products.

Any idea what the composition is and how it compares to BX? I called Premier Horticulture a few years back to get information on another one of their consumer-grade products, and although it took some work to get to the right person, ultimately they were very helpful in providing product information.

I see that Amazon has 2 cu ft of Pro-Mix Ultimate for $20, and it's available for free shipping with Prime (or probably if you don't have Prime, if you buy at least two bags). Seems like a reasonable price if it is a quality product.

Barb_FL August 6, 2015 10:53 AM

I'm on Amazon looking at The Pro-Mix Ultimate that elight post about,

but the HP-Pro Mix 3.8 CF Compressed bales are selling for $52.15 right now. Amazon switches its prices a lot.

I can buy it locally at a hydroponic store. They just charge $1 more for the BX version $40 vs $39. Last time I was in they told me they were discontinuing selling the HP because of much lower sales. I have bought both and didn't see a difference.

---
Another alternative is from HomeDepot -

[URL]http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lambert-3-cu-ft-Loose-Potting-Mix-141071/202521363[/URL]

I have bought this before and it is really nice and light. Some bigger perlite in it but I always add more. I buy the really chunky perlite - 4CU for $31 at the hydro store.

---
One question for you - in the EB, why do you need vermiculite at all?

kurt August 6, 2015 11:38 AM

Premeir Horticulture

[QUOTE=schill93;496651]I use containers only. In fact I use Earthboxes and other 5 gal SIP containers.
Pro Mix BX is of course touted as the best, however is not locally available in my area.

I can order the Pro-mix HP 3.8 cu ft compressed bale for about $55 a bale or the Pro-Mix BX for $72 a bale. Would need three bales. Rather expensive. (especially the BX)

Or I can buy a cheap bales of Fafard Sphagnum Peat Moss from Lowes for $13 ea. which I believe are 3. cu. in size, a 3.5 Cu ft. bag of course Vermiculite from a soil company for $29, as well as a 3.5 bag of perlite or $18 (not course)

Plus if I wanted to buy some mycorrhizae inoculants for an additional $24.00

Compare 3 bags of Pro Mix $165 to $207

Vs.

3 bags of Fafard $39
3.5 cu, bag Vermiculite $29
3.5 cu ft. bat of perlite #19
Bag of mycorrhizae inoculants (maybe) $24.00 Total $87-$111
I would still have labor involved as I would need to break out bags of Peat to moisten, add some other additives to it and mix up before planting, so labor would be a little less with ProMix as I wouldn't necessarily need to add extra Perlite and Vermiculite to mix, but would be adding some other additives.

There are no pine bark fines available anywhere without having to grind my own which I draw the line at.. I would not be adding any compost to the Earthboxes or other sip containers, as they are not large enough and might impede the wicking process. Also, I am not so interested in trying to grow organically in containers, as I have not done so well in that department and reserve that for when I am able to make some raised beds up.

Now that I write it all down and read it myself, if ordering the ProMix, I would probably opt for the HP, due to cheaper price, so a difference of $56 to $80 more money with a lot less running around and less mixing together., not having to run all around town to 3 different places. Probably worth the money. Anyone care to comment? :?[/QUOTE]

These guys are listed as the distributor for their products on the PH site(I punched in Las Vegas on their search bar).Since I live close to a distributor last year the BX only cost me $26.00/3.8bale.Maybe call these guys and they might have a local source close to you.At the bottom of the page is a "reseller"link,found three for Las Vegas.

[url]http://www.bwgs.com/item/search?searchterm=pro-mix&search=go[/url]

AKmark August 6, 2015 12:08 PM

HP works great, I have grown thousands of plants in it of all types. Tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, will give huge yields if you feed them exactly what they want.
We got more than 50 bell peppers per plant in 14 inch pots, tomatoes and cucs grow like crazy, flowers love it, time tested it is. Novice gardeners have the most problems with using a soil less media when they try to grow like they did in the 1600's, or something like that.

Anyway, media is for roots, what and how you feed is paramount to success. If you master using a quality fertilizer , your yield will increase, you will have prettier fruit, tastier fruit too, deficient fruit has an off taste compared to well grown tomatoes.

schill93 August 6, 2015 08:03 PM

Thank you all for your most helpful suggestions. None of the products mentioned by some of you were available in any of the big box stores. They show them on line, but not available for my area.

[B]Kurt[/B]. A heartfelt thank you for that link. I was able to locate a hydro store that I must have missed that does carry the Pro-Mix HP for $41 a bale 3.8 cu. If I wanted the BX, he would have to order it and it would cost $10 per bale more.

[B]Akmark.[/B] Since you say you have had very good experience with the HP, can you tell me what if anything you add to the mix other than your regular fertilizer schedule. With Earthboxes, I am told not to add any compost matter. However, I will be using both Earthboxes as well as regular larger size containers, and wondered if I couldn't add some compost to those.

The HP has a good amount of Perlite in it all ready, and I don't think adding more is needed, but not having any experience with it, I can't be sure. The difference between the BX and the HP is that the HP has more perlite and no vermiculite, where as the BX has less perlite and added vermiculite. The BX also has some Biofungicide added, which the HP doesn't. So in my way of thinking, the HP would drain better, but the BX would store up more moisture for release when needed. I live in the HOT DRY DRY Las Vegas desert, so retaining some moisture seems sensible.

In my amateurish way of thinking is that the HP should be OK for SIP containers as they are constantly drawing up the water as needed and should be able to keep the media moist. However the non sip containers may not function as well and having some vermiculite in it might be beneficial.

Gardenboy August 7, 2015 12:45 AM

I've been using Lambert's potting mix sold at Home Depot for over 12 years. It all ready has perlite added. I buy the bigger bag $14 for 3.5 cubit feet. I just add some cow manure and rabbit manure to the mix when I transplant the tomatoes into their 15 gallon containers. Fertilize with Tomato-tone every 2 weeks after the plants get established. :)

AKmark August 7, 2015 03:12 AM

Schill93, I don't add anything, my friend adds some perlite on top, says it helps with algae buildup. If you really want to grow tomatoes in these types of mixes, you have to supplement with Calcium Nitrate and Magnesium Sulfate. I use 4-18-38 at 10 oz per100 gallons of water the same with Calcium Nitrate, Magnesium is added at 5 oz per 100 gallons of water.
Get a ph meter, check your ppm, and EC, mine is about 1300ppm.
I have tried many different feeding programs, these amounts I list are stronger than is recommended, we have found in the far north, the length of day requires more fertilizer the plants in mid summer to keep them healthy.
If you dial in these supplements with a good low salt fertilizer, you will be very happy.

On a side note, my dad uses dirt, and less of the same supplements, I also found that to be true in my own outside garden.
Even Miracle Grow supplemented will work, I know that too. lol

schill93 August 8, 2015 09:47 PM

BarbFl. I don't know that I need vermiculite. I only question it as the BX seems to be the favored mix over on the Earthbox forum. But you know, sometimes those things can snowball, and if one experienced knowledgeable grower or two says that is the way to go then all the less knowledgeable would be growers don't question it.
I do not question that it is very good and preferred, only at this juncture hoped that the HP might be good enough.

I live in a very, very dry hot desert area, so I thought the vermiculite might be a good idea in this area, but I can't say for certain. I would certainly not want to have to spend the extra money unnecessarily. If I could buy it for a couple dollars more, then I would not question it. But when do you say "enough"?. As it is I am growing $80 tomatoes now. Soon to be $100, I guess. :twisted: My son keeps telling me how we could have bought five times the best organic vegetables on the planet with a steer thrown in for good measure, for all that I have spent to date.

Akmark, a very experienced grower with gorgeous fruit has used it with great success, so that is a very good testiment. But then Wasilla, Alaska is about as far apart from the Las Vegas desert as you can get. :o

But Florida is no slouch when it comes to heat (at least in southern Fl.) , so I will probably wind up doing what you did and order at least one bale of the BX with my HP purchase and see how it goes.

schill93 August 8, 2015 10:14 PM

I don't see a way to delete a post. My son just walked into my room and plopped something down on top of my mouse, and posted the above reply twice while I was correcting something. Men.

Barb_FL August 8, 2015 10:47 PM

Were you able to find a local distributor for less $.

At least the compressed bale will fill 3 EB - so if you were spending $20 per EB it comes out even.

And .... you will get to use it for multiple seasons so that will offset much of the cost.

Marsha (Ginger2778) is a very successful EB (>40 EB) tomato grower and I'm pretty sure she doesn't use PRO-MIX. Ginny (Fiishergurl) does all SWC and I don't think she uses Promix either. They post on the Florida thread in GD.

I live in East Central Florida - it rarely gets over 90 - not at all this year, but the humidity is killer - always around 90. Nothing like Alaska.