Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Edibles (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Genetics genetics genetics (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46116)

tessa October 21, 2017 09:33 AM

Genetics genetics genetics

Hi friends...long time!

I'm back to ask a genetics question.
I learned so much in the dwarf project but I'm having difficulty wrapping my brain around this question....
It's to do with clementine mandarines.
They are supposedly a seedless variety, but once in a while, there is a seed or two in them.
My question is: how?
And my next question is:
If planted, will they come true?

You know, just a simple question for your Saturday afternoon.
😁

MissS October 21, 2017 07:58 PM

How? Because nature wants to reproduce and will surprise you with it's creativeness every once in awhile.

No you will not get a seedless fruit from the seeds. The fruit will be a normal fruit and hold many seeds. You will only get a seedless fruit if you graft the plant onto a root stock. I have a Locust tree started from a seed of a seedless Locust tree. It is a normal Locust tree and makes a huge mess every year. It needs to be cut down.

Worth1 October 21, 2017 08:02 PM

[QUOTE=MissS;668745]How? Because nature wants to reproduce and will surprise you with it's creativeness every once in awhile.

No you will not get a seedless fruit from the seeds. The fruit will be a normal fruit and hold many seeds. You will only get a seedless fruit if you graft the plant onto a root stock. I have a Locust tree started from a seed of a seedless Locust tree. It is a normal Locust tree and makes a huge mess every year. It needs to be cut down.[/QUOTE]

I want the wood.:lol:

tessa October 21, 2017 09:24 PM

But!

You never get a seed in a navel orange.
Why?, if plants want to procreate creatively?

MissS October 21, 2017 09:34 PM

Never??? Can you be so sure about that? I have.

gdaddybill October 23, 2017 11:05 AM

Lots of citrus come true from seed-nuceller (sp?) embryos.

Keen101 October 23, 2017 12:52 PM

[QUOTE=tessa;668751]But!

You never get a seed in a navel orange.
Why?, if plants want to procreate creatively?[/QUOTE]

Oranges i believe, like "seedless grapes" are sprayed with a chemical to start producing fruit without having been fertilized. Sometimes you will get a seed or two in these oranges or grapefruits or grapes because a bee got to them first.

tessa October 28, 2017 07:47 PM

and will they come true?

PhilaGardener October 28, 2017 07:49 PM

You expect them to lie? ;)

Lasairfion October 28, 2017 08:40 PM

No, Mr Bond: I expect you to die.

I would expect that seeds like that wouldn't likely match the parent plant since who knows what hybrid genetics is going on to get plants to produce seedless fruit for a supermarket. Find one, plant it, and see!