Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Wal Mart Organic Garlic (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46023)

greenthumbomaha September 23, 2017 07:44 PM

Wal Mart Organic Garlic

1 Attachment(s)
I was checking out the garlic for possible use as seed garlic to supplement my stock. The loose bulk garlic was white and certainly not spectacular, but another customer showed me a package of organic garlic over near the shallots. WOW that is purple! Any guesses as to what variety this might be? A two pack is $1.99.

Worth1 September 24, 2017 09:45 AM

Probably purple from all the chemicals it sucked up in China.
No I have seen this garlic before but much less now than before.

The high price of garlic is due to protectionism here in the US.

GrowingCoastal September 24, 2017 12:12 PM

I can't see clearly through the bag. It might be a Russian variety or Mexican.

Worth1 September 24, 2017 12:18 PM

It is a product of Mexico so it almost has to be a soft neck garlic.

Worth

Worth1 September 24, 2017 12:22 PM

A wild guess would be Inchelium garlic.

GrowingCoastal September 24, 2017 12:36 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;665939]It is a product of Mexico so it almost has to be a soft neck garlic.

Worth[/QUOTE]

I grew a purple hard neck from Mexico last year and planted more of it yesterday. If it is hard or soft it will have either a hard or soft stem showing in the middle?

greenthumbomaha September 24, 2017 09:16 PM

I've only grown hard necks and its clipped so close to the body that it's hard for me to tell what type the stalk was.

Growing Coastal, did the garlic of Mexican origin form a good sized head for you last year? Do you have enough chill to grow a hard neck?

I'll snap a photo out of the bag tomorrow.

- Lisa

Gardeneer September 24, 2017 09:24 PM

I always plant store garlic. But It has to be good, with mostly big cloves. Some have zillions of tiny cloves inside. Last year the first thing that I planted in my new garden was 18 garlic cloves. That was some time around Thanksgiving. They turned out the best garlic that I have ever grown. This year I will plant about 100 cloves.
Still two more months til planting time.

clkeiper September 24, 2017 09:51 PM

spanish roja? it is a purple skinned hardneck variety.

Father'sDaughter September 24, 2017 10:37 PM

My local supermarket sells a variety that looks a lot like that every now and then, also from Mexico. I've purchased it before and it was nothing special compared to the hardnecks I've grown.

GrowingCoastal September 24, 2017 11:09 PM

[QUOTE=greenthumbomaha;665985]I've only grown hard necks and its clipped so close to the body that it's hard for me to tell what type the stalk was.

Growing Coastal, did the garlic of Mexican origin form a good sized head for you last year? Do you have enough chill to grow a hard neck?

I'll snap a photo out of the bag tomorrow.

- Lisa[/QUOTE]

Yes, enough winter to grow good garlic as long as it is up out of the wet. I now grow mine in pots. The local nurseries sell mainly hard necks to plant out.
The Mexican was about the same size as the German Red and Russian Purple stripe on the table in the image below all about 2" across. At the right, front, there are for I am calling a giant Russian purple which is larger, a locally grown variety I bought at the grocery store. I think it is the Mexican beside and behind them. They would all likely get bigger in the ground but I have too little space and too many tree roots.
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/EKd9PiG.jpg[/IMG]

greenthumbomaha September 25, 2017 03:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Very nice, Growing Coastal ! I like to grow the hot and spicy garlic, not how I like my peppers though. Before I got my seed stock mixed up, Music was my favorite.

Here is another photo of the organic Wal Mart packaged garlic. I haven't tried it yet. Is anyone finding this in their store? It is on a shelf away from the regular bulk garlic. If it works out it will be a find for a dollar a bulb.

Someone purchased garlic via mail and received a shipment with mites. Could someone please find this thread. I want to be on the lookout and I can't seem to locate the information.

Photo below is a little off color. The table is actually lighter in color and the garlic a deeper purple - Lisa

zipcode September 26, 2017 04:18 AM

I sense a bias against white garlic? How did that happen? Here it's quite highly regarded (and it's usually quite good too).

henry September 26, 2017 08:13 AM

[QUOTE=greenthumbomaha;666061]Very nice, Growing Coastal ! I like to grow the hot and spicy garlic, not how I like my peppers though. Before I got my seed stock mixed up, Music was my favorite.

Here is another photo of the organic Wal Mart packaged garlic. I haven't tried it yet. Is anyone finding this in their store? It is on a shelf away from the regular bulk garlic. If it works out it will be a find for a dollar a bulb.

Someone purchased garlic via mail and received a shipment with mites. Could someone please find this thread. I want to be on the lookout and I can't seem to locate the information.

Photo below is a little off color. The table is actually lighter in color and the garlic a deeper purple - Lisa[/QUOTE]

Mites this may be of help;
[url]http://www.science.oregonstate.edu/bpp/Plant_Clinic/Garlic/Mites.pdf[/url]

henry September 26, 2017 08:57 AM

The garlic may be a softneck of the artichoke family some times they bolt and have a stem that looks like a hardneck. The clove on the out side can happen in an artichoke.