Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Tarasenko 6 (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=30142)

amideutch September 25, 2013 12:27 PM

Tarasenko 6

3 Attachment(s)
BLT lovers look no further as this tomato has it all. Flavor, size and production are all there. I picked these today and still have more on the vine. Grew the plant in a 20 gal Geo Pot. The fruits shown are all 4-6 inches across and total weight is 10lbs+.

I've been wanting to grow this variety for a long time especially after Camo's write up on it. Whether you grow it in the ground or in a container it is going to need good support as it really loads up with the lunkers.

Ami

carolyn137 September 25, 2013 01:47 PM

[QUOTE=amideutch;377048]BLT lovers look no further as this tomato has it all. Flavor, size and production are all there. I picked these today and still have more on the vine. Grew the plant in a 20 gal Geo Pot. The fruits shown are all 4-6 inches across and total weight is 10lbs+.

I've been wanting to grow this variety for a long time especially after Camo's write up on it. Whether you grow it in the ground or in a container it is going to need good support as it really loads up with the lunkers.

Ami[/QUOTE]

I know a few others whom I know have grown it and also like it very much.

For background info here's the page from Tania's website:

[URL]http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Tarasenko_6#tab=General_Info[/URL]

And note that there are no commecial sources. :?:

But three listings in the 2013 SSE Yearbook, for SSE members only, and Andrey is still listing it.:)

Carolyn

amideutch September 25, 2013 03:07 PM

[QUOTE]And note that there are no commecial sources[/QUOTE]

There are a few commercial sources but they are on this side of the pond.

[QUOTE]But three listings in the 2013 SSE Yearbook, for SSE members only, and Andrey is still listing it.[/QUOTE]

I got my seeds from Andre.

Ami

nancyruhl September 25, 2013 08:37 PM

With several folks writing wonderful things about this variety, I am really hoping some company will be offering seeds for next season. Your pictures confirm that this will be on my to-grow list for next year.

mdvpc September 26, 2013 07:33 AM

Beautiful looking fruit!

sjoella September 26, 2013 07:41 AM

my season is almost gone....i miss it already! Lovely looking tomato!

Wi-sunflower September 26, 2013 10:25 AM

We've grown it for a couple of seasons. But due to various weather issues we just haven't gotten enough good seed to offer it.

Hopefully this fall we will finally get seed to list it.

Carol

clara September 26, 2013 02:55 PM

Ami, I'd really like to have 10lbs from one single plant in this time of the year! Thanks for pointing out to this variety! clara

Tormato September 26, 2013 03:19 PM

[QUOTE=amideutch;377048]BLT lovers look no further as this tomato has it all. Flavor, size and production are all there. I picked these today and still have more on the vine. Grew the plant in a 20 gal Geo Pot. The fruits shown are all 4-6 inches across and total weight is 10lbs+.

Ami[/QUOTE]

"Flavor, size and production are all there." Spot on.

One of only a few red varieties that are very flavorful when grown in my garden. In a good year, it'll produce 30+ lbs.

Only one possible drawback that I know of...sometimes there can be 5 tomatoes on a truss... all about a pound...all ripe at the same time...

Dr. L:love:ve Apple

nancyruhl September 26, 2013 04:14 PM

"Only one possible drawback that I know of...sometimes there can be 5 tomatoes on a truss... all about a pound...all ripe at the same time..."

And that's a problem I can handle.

amideutch September 26, 2013 11:45 PM

[QUOTE]Only one possible drawback that I know of...sometimes there can be 5 tomatoes on a truss... all about a pound...all ripe at the same time...[/QUOTE]

Roger that and that's why I said;

[QUOTE]Whether you grow it in the ground or in a container it is going to need good support as it really loads up with the lunkers.[/QUOTE]

It is a robust plant and does have thick trusses. I had to attach the cage to the side of the house to keep the plant from falling over. Same thing with Margaret Curtain that I grew along side of Tarrasenko 6 also in a 20 gal Geo-Pot.

As far as Red and Black varieties go these two cultivars are hard to beat in the flavor, size and production department.

Ami

kath September 27, 2013 03:31 PM

Ami, after seeing your photo of the sliced fruit, I'm not sure if what I grew in 2012 was really Tarasenko 6. The fruits were between 13 and 20 oz. and both plants had excellent production but each tomato only had 7 locules. Shouldn't the # of locules be about the same in all the fruits of a variety or I am mistaken about this idea?

I don't still have the photos to attach, but they're in post #152 on this page:

[url]http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?p=299760&highlight=tarasenko#post299760[/url]

kath

amideutch September 28, 2013 05:30 AM

[QUOTE]Shouldn't the # of locules be about the same in all the fruits of a variety or I am mistaken about this idea?[/QUOTE]

kath I have no idea and never did pay attention to the number of locules in a given tomato variety. Here is a link to Tatiana's site data base on Tarasenko 6 with another picture.

Ami

[url]http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Tarasenko_6[/url]

kath September 28, 2013 09:11 AM

[QUOTE=amideutch;377330]kath I have no idea and never did pay attention to the number of locules in a given tomato variety. Here is a link to Tatiana's site data base on Tarasenko 6 with another picture.

Ami

[url]http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Tarasenko_6[/url][/QUOTE]

Thanks, Ami, but Tania's site was the next place I went after I saw your photo and then checked my old thread. I thought I read about the # of locules a variety has in a thread here at T'ville. Anyway, your pics and Tania's seem to show that Tarasenko 6 has more of a beefsteak look with lots of small locules, whereas my pic definitely doesn't. It might be one for me to try again should someone make seeds available.

kath

tedln September 28, 2013 09:43 PM

T6 is on my permanent grow list. I sent a lot of seed out last year. I think I have a couple hundred seeds. I don't really need anything in trade. PM me and I will reply with my address for an SASE. I will send ten seeds to the first fifteen or twenty requests. If anyone has any of the small glassine envelopes for seeds, send me a few of those with your SASE please. I will prioritize seed to a few small commercial seed companies who want to sell the seed in the future. Please make me aware of your business on your PM.

Ami, did you grow out any of the Fred Limbaughs Potato Top variety I sent you last fall? It's another variety which really loads up with fruit and sometimes breaks trusses.

Ted