Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   The Workbench: BIY™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Stake a Cage for tomatoes and peppers (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=39691)

jillian February 16, 2016 07:07 PM

Stake a Cage for tomatoes and peppers
 
I made tomato cages last year with CRW and I love them. I needed a few more and I do not think I am up to date on my tetanus shot:)) I had a roll of 2 x 4 in. unrusted fencing already as well as 6 ft. stakes so I made some of these today. I love a project that does not require any man tools. Instead of the called for 18 in. panel for tomatoes I cut mine 32 in. 18 in. just isn't wide enough for tomatoes IMO. I do not grow any monster varieties so I think the 32 width will be fine. I also cut some 16 in. widths for peppers. The roll I used is 36 in length. Very simple and easy, that is how I roll. Now I just cannot wait to use them!:roll:

Also these will stack very neatly and take up very little space when it is time to store them for winter. I am running out of room! The CRW cages take up lots of space.

braybright April 5, 2016 07:29 AM

You mean like these?

They sound easy enough to make, I am planning on trying them out this year as well.

sdambr April 5, 2016 09:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have been using these for a couple of years, I have started zip tying the stakes to the wire fencing to make it easier for me.

Worth1 April 5, 2016 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdambr (Post 548727)
I have been using these for a couple of years, I have started zip tying the stakes to the wire fencing to make it easier for me.

WHAT garden in the front yard.:shock::lol:

Worth

sdambr April 5, 2016 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worth1 (Post 548736)
WHAT garden in the front yard.:shock::lol:

Worth

:lol: Its actually the back yard, I am on a corner. But you know I have a few in the front too, there is a bit more sun there.:yes:

jillian April 5, 2016 10:29 AM

Yes that is it, and I used heavy duty zip ties as well!

JohnJones April 5, 2016 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdambr (Post 548742)
:lol: Its actually the back yard, I am on a corner. But you know I have a few in the front too, there is a bit more sun there.:yes:

So, is that the side of the house across the street we r looking at? Beautiful neighborhood by the way.

Worth1 April 5, 2016 12:00 PM

Reminds me of the HOA meeting I went to when I had property in one.
The laws stated no sheds or gardens in front of the house.
So I asked what about beside the house.
The Hitler woman said well not that either what we mean is visible.
So I said so you mean to tell me I have 12 acres of land and everything has to be behind the house.
Yes she said.
That is when the whole group of people erupted and turned on her.
I didn't go the next year but I heard there was a knock down drag out fight at the annual meeting.:lol:

Worth

sdambr April 5, 2016 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnJones (Post 548757)
So, is that the side of the house across the street we r looking at? Beautiful neighborhood by the way.

Yes and thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worth1 (Post 548768)
Reminds me of the HOA meeting I went to when I had property in one.
The laws stated no sheds or gardens in front of the house.
So I asked what about beside the house.
The Hitler woman said well not that either what we mean is visible.
So I said so you mean to tell me I have 12 acres of land and everything has to be behind the house.
Yes she said.
That is when the whole group of people erupted and turned on her.
I didn't go the next year but I heard there was a knock down drag out fight at the annual meeting.:lol:

Worth

I am pretty much free to do what I wish, with the exception of livestock. Two hens are allowed but can't put a coup within 50 feet of a property line, which would restrict me to my front yard. Still though about it though.

throwaway March 31, 2017 05:46 PM

For those of you using this style, what width of fencing is adequate? So far I've seen 18", 32" - anybody else care to opine?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:41 AM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★