Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (
-   Growing for Market (
-   -   Liability insurance (

Sherry_AK April 28, 2009 01:14 AM

Liability insurance
Those of you who sell at market -- are you required to show evidence of liability insurance? Is it easy to acquire? Is it expensive?



jungseed April 28, 2009 10:07 AM

I would think it would be part of their business insurance. When we do sport shows all the contracts say we have to have liability insurance on file with the show owner. None have ever asked me for it, but I do have it. The new insurance company we changed to gives us copies of that form automatically as part of the packet.
the same for market vendors?

Sherry_AK May 2, 2009 10:25 PM

Thanks for responding. I think at our small market not all vendors would even have business insurance.


DutchOverflow November 11, 2016 08:34 AM

I was wondering sort of the same type of question, if I go to sell clones and fruit at the farmers market do I need permits or insurance? I guess I just don't want to show up and get shut down.

Worth1 November 11, 2016 12:01 PM

Stupid me I had no idea nor have I ever heard of such a thing for selling stuff at a market.
I went on line and they even have it for selling arts and crafts.


franknmiss November 11, 2016 02:26 PM

I have a small business and have liability insurance that I purchase thru the company.
I also have additional liability insurance I purchase personally.
I don't know about Alaska, but in our state the only way the insurance companies will even sell you a personal liability umbrella policy is if you buy all your insurance Home - Life -Auto etc. from them.
So if you decide to purchase a policy or determine the cost of one - you might save yourself some time and start with the company you are buying other types of insurance from already and be ready for the all or none requirement.

coronabarb November 12, 2016 02:13 AM

At our market, anyone selling consumables must show proof of liability insurance. Consumables would be food, produce, body care items. Being from Calif, I got insurance right away when all I was selling was daffodils. Water on the floor and all that. It cost me about $20 some bucks a month. I started with the auto insurer but that was a no go. Way too expensive. Found a company that does farm type insurance, American Family Ins.

MarianneW November 12, 2016 11:21 AM

There's a bunch of specialty carriers for artisan companies, Twenty Mile comes to mind. There's a couple different ways to get coverage, whether an umbrella policy, some homeowner policies have coverage, or a commercial policy. Talk to a commercial policy specialist, they should be able to tell you what's available in your state for your business project.

You want the insurance because you're dealing with the public and the public is stupid.

Cole_Robbie November 12, 2016 12:44 PM

Some larger markets will have group policies that cover the market as an entity.

When I worked for a company putting on mma fights, our slip and fall liability policy was $1,000 - for 24 hours of coverage. That was 6-8 years ago. I have heard of the same policy being quoted at $3,000 now.

Nematode November 18, 2016 08:55 AM

Small farm policy usually covers whatever is grown and sold from the farm.
Might be cheaper than homeowners. Contact your agent.

AKmark November 18, 2016 01:20 PM

I do have to carry insurance to sell at farmers market.

Worth1 November 18, 2016 01:41 PM

When I was in Austin the other day all I saw was banks law firms and insurance companies everywhere.
They have ruined our country.:(


Black Krim February 3, 2017 11:14 AM

[QUOTE=Worth1;600450]When I was in Austin the other day all I saw was banks law firms and insurance companies everywhere.
They have ruined our country.:(


Saddly. Drives up the cost of everything.

When talking to a friend years ago, she told me in Italy, where she visited family each year, such lawsuits that we experience did not occur. Often the sop owner told the customer e ad to pay for damages to the shop,ie door glass shattered wen customer entered.

BigVanVader February 3, 2017 01:09 PM

Nope, not required here.

Cole_Robbie February 3, 2017 01:39 PM

[QUOTE=BigVanVader;615675]Nope, not required here.[/QUOTE]

Your attorney would probably tell you to buy it anyway.

The trend with farmer's markets now is that they are located on city property. It is almost impossible to sue a government entity and get money out of them. If your market is on city property - that's why they don't require insurance, because [I]their[/I] butt is covered. You, on the other hand, do not enjoy immunity of the sovereign, and you can very easily be sued as an individual. Operating in corporate/llc name would shield you from such suits, but it may be better just to buy insurance, depending on how much in assets you have to protect.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:15 AM.

★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2019 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★