Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   vine ripe vs the paper bag (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=49457)

ramapojoe July 17, 2019 05:05 PM

vine ripe vs the paper bag

Not sure if has been discussed here but I was wondering what you guys think about the taste of tomatoes fully ripened on the vine verses ones picked half red and ripened inside. I understand that a tomatoe picked early will not rot, split or be attacked by disease or insects. I also know they taste excellent after they turn red in your paper bag. But to me they are not as good as the ones left on the vine until they are ready to eat. So many people tell me there is no difference but I disagree.

PaulF July 17, 2019 06:01 PM

I used to wait until tomatoes were nearly or fully ripe before picking them. The past few years I have waited until they were mostly ripe. Even the half ripe ones get harvested if I can't wait. Not enough difference between vine ripe and window sill ripe for me to notice. Did bag ripening a long time ago on the end of the season tomatoes but gave that up because by November I did not care whether there were any more tomatoes.

Gerardo July 17, 2019 06:11 PM

I disagree, no difference, other than flipping the bird to the birds and other critters.

Worth1 July 17, 2019 06:13 PM

[QUOTE=Gerardo;741654]I disagree, no difference, other than flipping the bird to the birds and other critters.[/QUOTE]

+1 :yes:

Labradors2 July 17, 2019 06:26 PM

It depends on the variety. Most are fine, but IMO Sungold is much better ripened on the vine...….

Linda

Worth1 July 17, 2019 06:28 PM

[QUOTE=Labradors2;741656]It depends on the variety. Most are fine, but IMO Sungold is much better ripened on the vine...….

Linda[/QUOTE]

I agree with that too.

Gerardo July 17, 2019 06:35 PM

[QUOTE=Labradors2;741656]It depends on the variety. Most are fine, but IMO Sungold is much better ripened on the vine...….

Linda[/QUOTE]

Sungolds taste like soap to me.

shule1 July 17, 2019 06:44 PM

I prefer them ripened on the vine, for fresh-eating (for whole tomatoes), but they can still be great ripened indoors (I've found that how great they are ripened indoors may depend on some unknown criteria, probably relating to weather conditions they experienced pre-harvest). For tomatoes I cut up, I actually sometimes prefer to refrigerate them first (after they ripen), as it changes things quite a bit in ways I like for those purposes. I used to be averse to that, due to things I had heard (until I tried it).

Barb_FL July 17, 2019 06:46 PM

Large tomatoes (IMO) no difference but skip the bag and enjoy your bigger crop.

Cherry/small tomatoes - vine ripe all the way and if it gets a bird peck here and there, no big deal. The exception is SunChocola can be picked a little early and fully ripen inside.

shule1 July 17, 2019 06:49 PM

[QUOTE=Gerardo;741658]Sungolds taste like soap to me.[/QUOTE]

I'm curious: what do Matt's Wild Cherry and Sweetie (the cherry tomato) taste like to you? I've tried both and have tasted something strange in them (perhaps extra tomatine in MWC, and probably just a concentrated flavor in Sweetie). I wonder if you're harvesting SG too early.

SQWIBB July 17, 2019 06:52 PM

[QUOTE=Barb_FL;741660]Large tomatoes (IMO) no difference but skip the bag and enjoy your bigger crop.

Cherry/small tomatoes - vine ripe all the way and if it gets a bird peck here and there, no big deal. The exception is SunChocola can be picked a little early and fully ripen inside.[/QUOTE]

Ditto on both counts.

Labradors2 July 17, 2019 07:18 PM

Oh yes Gerardo, shule1 has a good point! A friend really wanted me to try Sungold, so she gave me a container full of them, but they weren't quite ripe and I was really disappointed in the taste, but when I grew it myself and a perfectly ripe one fell off the vine into my hand, I found it absolutely delicious! Maybe it depends on the weather too...…

Linda

SueCT July 17, 2019 07:23 PM

NEVER would I ripen inside a bag! I always ripen inside, but never in paper bag. Not only is it not necessary, it creates the environment that they use to make those red but hard grocery store "tomatoes", in that it gasses them by trapping the natural gases coming off the fruit and causing the outside to turn red but not allow the tomato to go through the natural ripening process that develops the flavor. Ripen on the counter, out of direct sunlight, but not in ANY container. You want them to ripen slowly and naturally and not just create a red skin as fast as possible. It could also make them mealy in texture. JMHO. But I would rather buy a tomato on the vine than eat one that went from green to red inside a paper bag.

slugworth July 17, 2019 08:07 PM

depends on the variety

Gerardo July 17, 2019 08:14 PM

Not to disparage Sungold it just doesn't agree with me, I found it to be similar to Coyote, very intense flavor for the size.

I grew Sungold twice, in the mid summer and fall. I liked its growth habit and productivity. Popping them while inspecting others, at full ripeness, at mid ripeness, and under ripe is definitely fun.

Full ripeness undoubtedly helped, however, that soapy undertone was hard to shake. The citrus and tropical fruit tones are quite nice.

Not all taste bud profiles are created equal, and that is just fine.

The cherry I've liked the most is Pomodoro Datterino Dolce de Pachino. Compact productive plant, LONG staying power, and flavor is terrific.