Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Common Garden Diseases and Pests (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Fear n loathing.... (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=45518)

Pat Shaw July 6, 2017 03:20 PM

Fear n loathing....

3 Attachment(s)
I am more than fearful after 3 years of fusarium wilt ruining my crop. Anyone know what, if anything I'm dealing with here?

peebee July 6, 2017 03:32 PM

Do you have pics of the underside of the leaves?

jillian July 6, 2017 03:37 PM

Sometimes the stippled leaves (second photo), can indicate spider mites. Yes check the undersides of the leaves very closely. Third photo, are there a couple of aphids there?

Pat Shaw July 6, 2017 03:52 PM

Underside

2 Attachment(s)
I didn't see anything. Do you?

jillian July 6, 2017 04:08 PM

Hard to tell. Try taking a white sheet of paper and tapping the leaves over it. Maybe a more experienced set of eyes will chime in soon........I would go ahead and do the paper test in meantime.

jillian July 6, 2017 04:10 PM

A magnifying glass or some sort of magnification would help you greatly, those devils are very tiny.

ginger2778 July 6, 2017 04:48 PM

I can't see them in these photos, but I am thinking spider mites, nothing else gives leaves that speckled stippled appearance. I agree with Jillian, also agree that they are such tiny creatures that you need a much closer up photo. If you have a microscope or a 14X or higher magnification glass, you should use it. But I am pretty sure you're going to see spider mites.
Edited, in your first set of photos in the very closeup photo there are insects present, one looks like it has 2 spots, so that's spider mites.

dmforcier July 6, 2017 05:00 PM

There are bibbits on the ends of the leaf in the upper right corner of the last photo. And possibly on the little one at the extreme left. Need magnifier.

Salsacharley July 6, 2017 07:33 PM

Looks like spider mites to me...especially the 2nd picture from the top.

RayR July 6, 2017 10:38 PM

Yep, classic spider mite symptoms.

Pat Shaw July 6, 2017 11:26 PM

Thank you, everyone for your responses - will be getting some neem oil asap. Funny how it works, the last 3 years, no pests, but fungus all over the place. This year, no fungus (so far) but bugs...........guess if I had my "druthers", I'll take the mites. Thanks again!

b54red July 7, 2017 03:53 PM

[QUOTE=Pat Shaw;652590]Thank you, everyone for your responses - will be getting some neem oil asap. Funny how it works, the last 3 years, no pests, but fungus all over the place. This year, no fungus (so far) but bugs...........guess if I had my "druthers", I'll take the mites. Thanks again![/QUOTE]

You may change your mind about that. Spider mites are really hard to get rid of. Neem might slow them down for a few days but I could never get rid of them with it.

Bill

Cole_Robbie July 7, 2017 04:08 PM

Chemical miticides are pretty wicked stuff, if you look into that route. A lot of them have been banned in the US, or require a spray license.

bower July 7, 2017 04:55 PM

I'm also having a mitey season instead of fungus. Dry and sunny, low relative humidity, stress from high UV and the invisible beasts are having a party on the upper leaves. Wet and dreary and high relative humidity and fungus would be partying on the lower leaves.

One way or another, tomatoes will lose some leaves. :roll: :no: And die, eventually. Hopefully making fruit before that... :o
I just pick mine btw. Take away bad leaves, burn or otherwise dispose far from the plants. We have tiny spiders that also get through my greenhouse screens. They set up their webs and feast on the little guys. With a little helpful 'sanitation' on my part reducing their food supply, they clean up the rest (usually) and the plants grow leaves so dang fast I can't keep up anyway.

ginger2778 July 7, 2017 05:41 PM

[QUOTE=b54red;652746]You may change your mind about that. Spider mites are really hard to get rid of. Neem might slow them down for a few days but I could never get rid of them with it.

Bill[/QUOTE]

That is exactly what I was thinking.