Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Edibles (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   The Whole Okra (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=49324)

gdaddybill June 20, 2019 11:39 AM

The Whole Okra

Just got my copy of Chris Smith's new book--THE WHOLE OKRA from Sow True Seeds. It's very in depth with variety photos and more ways to use okra than I could have imagined. Very clever and beautifully done!

Worth1 June 20, 2019 05:25 PM

Maybe you can share some of it with us.
Thanks.

gdaddybill June 21, 2019 07:48 AM

There's a lot to read. I really enjoy reading about the varieties and many of the recipes look delicious (nice photography and an extensive chart of varieties with comments on taste, origin, etc.) Some of the recipes like okra tofu may be slow to see the light of day at our house but who knows I get a little crazy sometimes.

I'll try to make note of some highlights as I browse through it.

Ken B June 23, 2019 09:06 AM

Yeah, it's great! Chris is a very engaging writer, really recommend it.

chrismith82 June 24, 2019 02:23 PM

The Whole Okra!

I had lots of fun researching and writing, The Whole Okra. I hope you enjoy it!

gdaddybill June 25, 2019 04:23 PM

I'm working my way through the recipes (Worth, there's a section on fermentation) and waiting for the okra to put out more than a handful a day.

chrismith82 June 25, 2019 05:08 PM

Okra Kimchi

I highly recommend the Okra Kimchi recipe! If you want to try it before buying the book then here's a link: [URL="https://modernfarmer.com/2019/06/the-whole-okra-a-seed-to-stem-celebration/"]Okra Kimchi[/URL]

My okra is budding, but no production yet. Still enjoying the dried okra from last year though!

Worth1 June 25, 2019 05:08 PM

Thanks.:)

habitat_gardener July 2, 2019 04:51 PM

Dried okra! Sounds interesting. And dried kimchi!

chrismith82 July 2, 2019 04:53 PM

Dried Okra

Dried okra is a great way to store the harvest (okra produces a lot of okra!). It also concentrates the flavors. 2lbs of okra reduces to about 4oz of dried okra!

Worth1 July 2, 2019 05:06 PM

[QUOTE=chrismith82;740341]Dried okra is a great way to store the harvest (okra produces a lot of okra!). It also concentrates the flavors. 2lbs of okra reduces to about 4oz of dried okra![/QUOTE]

I dried some in the dark years ago, the color stayed green and it was fantastic in many ways.
I also have some in the freezer "freeze dried" sort of, that seems to be fine also when I cook it.
I honestly ran out of bags and just tossed it in the big freezer as an experiment..:lol:

Worth1 July 28, 2019 04:08 PM

Okra Question?????

I have a question about pickled okra.

The other day a guy at work ate a whole jar of store bought pickled okra.
Every okra he ate he bit of the stem end and threw it away.
I was flabbergasted he just didn't eat the whole thing.
I didn't say anything to him though.

If the pod snaps of the plant it is more than tender enough to eat.
Now am I the only one that eats the tender stem ends on okra pickled or otherwise?

Hensaplenty July 28, 2019 05:48 PM

I would love to hear recommendations on your favorite OP varieties of okra and why they are your favorite. Thx!

Worth1 July 28, 2019 06:13 PM

[QUOTE=Hensaplenty;742546]I would love to hear recommendations on your favorite OP varieties of okra and why they are your favorite. Thx![/QUOTE]

For me they are Long Pod Green Cow Horn and Louisiana Green Velvet, to name a few.
Reason is if they are fertilized and watered properly they get big without getting tough.
Okra loves, fertilizer, heat and water
Lots of water.
I haven't grown okra in awhile because I still have some in the freezer.

Hensaplenty July 28, 2019 07:47 PM

[QUOTE]For me they are Long Pod Green Cow Horn and Louisiana Green Velvet, to name a few.
Reason is if they are fertilized and watered properly they get big without getting tough.
Okra loves, fertilizer, heat and water
Lots of water.
I haven't grown okra in awhile because I still have some in the freezer.[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU!! :-)