Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Cucurbits (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Eating squash flowers (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=31847)

Anthony_Toronto April 4, 2014 01:33 PM

Eating squash flowers

1 Attachment(s)
Growing 6 or 7 types this year...is there any reason to avoid eating flowers from any varieties, or are the all pretty much similar in flavour/texture/etc? I like them fairly big and firm as I usually stuff 'em and fry 'em (stuff with crab and mascarpone and nutmeg, dip in tempura batter, fry in some peanut oil)...neighbours usually chop them up and mix them into a pancake-type batter and cook them like pancakes or flat fritters.

These were dipped in tempura batter then into italian breadcrumbs before frying

katkoot April 4, 2014 01:49 PM

I've had all different ones and found them to be all good. I make them into soup.

biscgolf April 4, 2014 01:51 PM

all will be similar in flavor- zucchini tend to be the firmest/easiest to work with.

BucksCountyGirl April 4, 2014 02:36 PM

Looks yummy! Hopefully I'll have some of my own to cook...in a few weeks that is!

Vespertino April 4, 2014 06:40 PM

Tempura batter prep for the blossoms sounds yummy! I'm growing summer squash and zucchini this year, I hope to have lots of blossoms to fry. From what I understand zukes and summer squash can be so prolific you end up with too much veggie. If that happens I'm going to be busy harvesting blossoms :)

Father'sDaughter April 4, 2014 09:21 PM

While we always ate them dipped in a flour and egg batter and fried (never stuffed) or in a Frittata when I was growing up, I sauté them in olive oil with garlic until soft and serve as a bruschetta topping.

Stvrob April 4, 2014 10:13 PM

My grandmother used to cook squash flowers. Personally, I never really liked it, I'd much rather eat the fruit.

peppero April 5, 2014 07:17 AM

I add them to my breakfast ramen noodle concoction and the wife will sometimes batter and fry them.

jon:yes::yes:

Anthony_Toronto April 5, 2014 07:31 AM

I like the flowers because they have an interesting and fresh flavour. I usually pinch off close to the main stem so I have a long 'handle' when its time to dip them or eat them, though I cut them off for the above plate. I also usually remove the flower's sex organs before I stuff and cook, just assume these wouldnt be as edible as the rest of the flower, which almost seems reminiscent of some sort of lettuce.

Doug9345 April 5, 2014 09:50 AM

Has anyone prepared them without breading them. I've always passed on them because I've always seen them bread and I'm not a fan of breaded stuff. I'd think cut up they add some color to things.

A thought just crossed my mine. How would they be in a salad raw?

BriAnDaren April 5, 2014 11:37 AM

I either do a quick boil or stir fry pumpkin flowers and stems with garlic and oil. Pumpkin leaves can also be used in a similar manner but I'm not crazy about the texture. The whole pumpkin plant is edible.

Both male and female flowers are used however the little 'fruit' at the bottom of female flowers should be cut up for more even cooking.

Some squash have bitter flowers.

Daren

squirrel789 May 25, 2015 02:43 AM

3 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Anthony_Toronto;402869]I like the flowers because they have an interesting and fresh flavour. I usually pinch off close to the main stem so I have a long 'handle' when its time to dip them or eat them, though I cut them off for the above plate. I also usually remove the flower's sex organs before I stuff and cook, just assume these wouldnt be as edible as the rest of the flower, which almost seems reminiscent of some sort of lettuce.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this, the flowers are great! Make sure to gently wiggle your fingers into the closed blossoms and remove the sex organs, although some say this isn't necessary, I prefer to do it. Plus, I've found more than a few bugs this way that were hiding in the blossom :) I try to pick only the male blossoms, usually perched on a long slender stem, and then pick the baby zucchini before the female blossom wilts too much.

MY favorite variety of zucchini, for the vegetable or the blossoms is an Italian heirloom called Costata Romanesco (got mine from highmowingseeds. com). These plants grow and grow and grow here in the hot and humid Midwest, despite their Mediterranean origin. I've often mistaken a single plant for 2 plants in my dad's garden. They are sweet, green with white stripes, and have more flavor than most of the more typical varieties I've tried.

Fried with a light, puffy beer batter and a pinch of salt is great. But I think they really shine in an egg dish, like the Fritatta mentioned above, with some green onion and goat cheese. I have a pic of one I made last year somewhere I'll upload that will make you want to try it :)

Mine just sprouted last night...

Tracydr May 25, 2015 09:42 AM

Yummy!
I also love Costata Romanesco. I make a soup with flowers and young squash.

AZGardener May 28, 2015 09:15 AM

A while back when I had landscapers (guy was from Jalisco area of Mexico) he said they put them in little tortillas (similar to how we make quesadillas) and they put some of that fresh white cheese inside too. My husband lightly fried a flower in a little butter and put it in our omelet one day and it was amazing! Then we moved on to the quesadilla with some pepper jack and it was equally awesome!

pauldavid May 28, 2015 02:01 PM

I ate some yesterday. My wife makes quesadillas with cheese and Zucchini flowers. Delicious!