Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Starting From Seed (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Matt's Wild a slow germinator? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=639)

valereee March 4, 2006 12:37 PM

Matt's Wild a slow germinator?

Hi, all! Everything but Matt's Wild is poking up. The batch was new, packaged by High Mowing Seeds for 2006 just like two of the other varieties. Is Matt's Wild just slower?

Val

nctomatoman March 4, 2006 01:54 PM

If it is related to Mexico Midget and Coyote (two other wild Mexican varieties), it can be slower.

valereee March 4, 2006 05:24 PM

Thanks, Craig. I guess I'll just be patient, then. :?

Val

carolyn137 March 6, 2006 01:32 PM

I've never had problems with Matt's Wild and not with most other varieties either.

The only one that can be a problem is the variety Mirabel, in my experience, that even with fresh seeds takes longer, actually up to about two weeks.

When germination is delayed my first thought goes to seed age and my second thought goes to just a bad batch of fermented seed which can and does happen/ It happened to me two years ago with a bad batch of Shuntukski seed that had low germination when tested by others.

And I haven't had any problems with any currant tomatoes or other cerasiforme ones such as Matt's is.

After all, IMO the cerasiformes and other species are most apt to be the ones that self seed themselves as a natural means of self reproduction.

Tomstrees March 6, 2006 01:45 PM

one of the varieites I'm having a
"slow" time with is "Paul Robeson"

> Doesn't he want to come up
and hang with his buds ?

lol ~ Tom

clay199 March 6, 2006 02:11 PM

I have tried Matt's wild cherry from three different sources. The first source did not germinate at all, and the other two the next year were considerably slower than any others. Without looking at my garden notes I think it is the slowest germinating of all the tomatoes I have tried.

valereee March 6, 2006 02:17 PM

Clay, interesting! Well, it's still sitting on the heating pad. It's only been 6+ days, so I definitely am not ruling them bad yet. I did finally take them out of the flat so the rest of the seedlings, which are all an inch tall, wouldn't be heated any more.

carolyn137 March 6, 2006 03:51 PM

My Matt's were from Johnny's a couple of years after they first started listing it. No problem.

I don't get concerned about germination of any varieties at all until maybe 10-14 days have gone by.

Tomstrees March 6, 2006 04:06 PM

Carolyn,

Thanks for that time frame -
much more relaxed about it ~ well ...
until about Weds. ! lol ~ Tom

Joel5000 March 6, 2006 05:30 PM

My first Patio Orange (from Baker Creek) just popped its head up yesterday, a full 22 days after sowing. All of my seeds germinated slow this year. Stupice was the quickest at 5 days. I have had about 85% germination, but most took 7-14 days to germinate. On a bright note, I had 100% germination from my saved Black Cherry seeds, a variety that didn't germinate at all for me last year.

Tomstrees March 6, 2006 05:32 PM

Joel5000 -

Now thats staying with it !
Good to hear the wait paid off
for you >
~ Tom

montanamato March 6, 2006 08:12 PM

Patio Orange was 10 days later than all my other varieties last year too. I just sowed it in the last flat so will see what it does this year.
I had a group of dwarfs and odd ones planted last month and Orange Tree germinated in 3 days without bottom heat. I was amazed, it wasn't just an early bird but all 7 seeds planted came up at once.
Tom, Paul Robeson was one of my earliest last year to germinate, but the source was Sand Hill. I have had such high germination from Sand Hill, that this year I got cocky and planted many fewer than usual of the varieties I ordered from them. Hope it works!

Jeanne

valereee March 7, 2006 08:49 AM

Oh, I've got one of the Matt's Wild up this morning! That's exactly seven days for the first one.

Val

SelfSufficient1 March 7, 2006 06:55 PM

Glad I saw this about Patio Orange, I won't be worried if it doesn't come up with the rest. :)

Joel5000 March 8, 2006 03:51 PM

A second Patio Orange came up yesterday, 24 days! I only planted 4 seeds (hoping for one plant), and I've now got 50% germination, but I'm not counting out the other two yet. They've definitely got some catching up to do.